Board index FlightGear Release candidates 2.10

Mac 2.10 RC Atmospheric light scattering bug

This is the archive of topics about the 2.10 release candidates.

Re: Mac 2.10 RC Atmospheric light scattering bug

Postby Hooray » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:48 am

someguy wrote in Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:39 am:That's a super idea! It wouldn't surprise me if some of these glitches are peculiar to specific hardware configurations, either, so perhaps that might be part of the report as well.

Yes, even just knowing that certain issues only occur with some GPUs would be VERY good to know. But obviously we would need a sane way to easily reproduce a certain configuration, including all startup settings, but also the runtime rendering settings.

I'll paste XML into forum posts all day if it helps the devs fix bugs.

We could obviously use a pastebin, but probably using the issue tracker would be a better idea then.
After all, having an easy way to reproduce a certain configuration, could save us tons of time and question asking - so having such a feature would be really invaluable in my opinion.

We could add a dialog so that people could even describe the problem - so that the XML files would become self-contained and could be easily checked by different people without having to ask tons of tedious questions...

Thinking about it, the simplest option would seem to be using existing stuff. After all, this is just about recording and replaying properties. And that's exactly what the new flight recorder (replay tapes) system does. So we could simply abuse it a little to also provide a configuration to sample the various rendering properties (see rendering dialog), which should give us a way to reproduce settings fairly well.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Thorsten » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:21 pm

Some times at high altitude 26000ft and up the water has a strange flicker in it

Can you get a close-up - is this really single pixels (square shapes), or does it have a shape, does it disappear if you zoom in? How does it change at dusk/dawn, is it light-coloured or just white?

Thorsten, I clicked the View Log button in the Launcher, but there were no errors. Is there something else I can try to help you?

Black grass, no error message whatsoever? That's not good - I can usually only trace those by commenting parts of the shader out and seeing what block causes the issue :(

In general, I have encountered some cases of flickering and traced them back to rounding errors (with the Earth Radius being part of the light-shade computations, we have both very large and very small numbers in the computation...) - code worked fine as long as I inserted small numbers for tests, but then gave rubbish for realistic numbers. Drove me quite mad... It seems the precise way numbers are rounded is also driver and hardware dependent - so there can be code that is formally okay, logically okay and still produces rendering artefacts. Sometimes, GLSL is really fun...
Thorsten

Postby Neilson » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:52 pm

I will get back with more info on the water thing, i might test on a second Mac that has a nvidia graphics cards to see any difference to a ATI card.
Neilson

Callsign: Neilson
Version: 2017.3.1

Postby Thorsten » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:22 pm

I've caught a suspect for the black grass problem and have just pushed a fix to GIT master - please include this in the next RC.
Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:30 pm

Okay, I reproduced the water flickering and I think I have a fix for it (works for me at least) - I'll push the bugfix for that tomorrow.
Thorsten

Postby Neilson » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:29 pm

Very big thank you, this one seemed to be muli platform.
Neilson

Callsign: Neilson
Version: 2017.3.1

Previous

Return to 2.10