Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Scenery webtools (adding, editing, deleting objects&models).

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: Scenery webtools (adding, editing, deleting objects&mode

Postby VicMar » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:37 pm

The point I was making is that this model is named 'Generic Lighthouse'.

You cannot rename it. The only way you can attach the correct name to the model in that position would be to either make a new one, or download the generic lighthouse to your desktop, then place it under the proper name as if it were a new model.

The second of those options doesn't seem fair, as it will not really show a likeness of the real lighthouse, and will only show a steady light after dark, whereas the real one may have other lighting arrangements. If it bears the real name, I think it should resemble the real lighthouse.

Lighthouses are not that difficult to model, and applying the lighting sequences is easily done by .xml..

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby Gijs » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:02 pm

You should not copy a generic/shared model just to give it a name... :shock:
What exactly would be the advantage of having a name for this object?
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby jarl.arntzen » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:08 pm

Ok. I got the point. I wasn't trying to rename it anyway. Earlier, I was actually referring to the [Comment] field at the third tab of the Automated Objects Submission Form, not the [Description] field which doesn't exist in that form anyway. :oops: My bad.
I'll rather have a generic lighthouse there that looks like the real thing at any distance beyond 10m for now. Maybe I'll go forth and update the 3D model after I've done the rest of Kristiansand. :D
Frequent Flyer. Occasional Lander.
jarl.arntzen

IRC name: Jarl Arntzen
Version: 2017.1.1

Postby f-ojac » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:17 pm

jarl.arntzen wrote in Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:11 pm:I suggest replacing this: "This is the offset (in meters) between your model 'zero' and the elevation at the considered place (ie if it is sunk into the ground). Let 0 if there is no offset."
with this: "This is the vertical offset (in meters) between your model 'zero' (usually the bottom) and the terrain elevation at the specified coordinates. Use negative numbers to sink it into the ground or 0 if there's no offset"

Fixed. Also see: http://scenemodels.flightgear.org/contribute.php#offset
f-ojac

Version: GIT

Postby jarl.arntzen » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:25 pm

Man, you're *fast*! :shock: :o
jarl.arntzen

Postby f-ojac » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:27 pm

jarl.arntzen wrote in Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:08 pm:I was actually referring to the [Comment] field.

There are two different things we're talking about:
- the comment: this is the comment which is sent to the submitter to say "Hi, I'm submitting a new lighthouse in Norway", for instance.
- the so called "ob-text" field, which can sometimes be seen on mapserver, for instance. For shared or static object, this field is filled with the name of the model (static or shared).
We're planning to sometimes let the user update this field to put "what he wants", but there's no other interest to this than showing something more precise on the mapserver.
Eg:
- http://scenemodels.flightgear.org/objec ... id=3296988 : Windturbine, in bold, is the name of the object. It is derived from the shared model name. It appears as so on the mapserver.
- http://scenemodels.flightgear.org/objec ... id=3296957 : there is a special obstruction text attached to the static model.
- http://scenemodels.flightgear.org/objec ... id=3277970 : there is a different ob_text for this, compared to the shared model it refers to. That's what we're planning to let people update.

On the update field, for instance http://scenemodels.flightgear.org/submi ... ce=3297023 is written "Just for test now, don't use".
f-ojac

Postby jarl.arntzen » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:40 pm

Yup. I got it now :!: . Thanks :)
jarl.arntzen

Postby f-ojac » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:48 pm

jarl.arntzen wrote in Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:12 pm:I discovered that the form can not be submitted if the required Comment field contains any commas. I suggest adding an error message that indicates this or clarify allowed characters in the tooltip on the left.

Fixed in the tooltip.
f-ojac

Postby Soitanen » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:59 pm

Is it possible to contribute ICAO.groundnet.xml files via webtools?
Boeing 737-300. Reworked cockpit, FDM, autopilot and much more. WIP.
Boeing 737-800. WIP. Canvas PFD and ND.
Antonov An-24B. Made from scratch. Very good FDM. 3D model by Adrian. WIP.
Project Russia (some cities, based on OSM with custom objects).
Soitanen

Version: git

Postby radi » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:16 pm

Just submitted a first model, yay! However: Is there a way to share a texture between models? I've converted a whole bunch of models (with permission) from MSFS. Many of them share some texture files (which makes sense).

They are all from the same area, so all objects and the shared texture would end up in the same folder, say Objects/e010n50/e013n51. How to submit these models, without replicating the shared texture?
OSM buildings for LOWI, EDDC
Custom scenery for VHXX YMML
Edit .stg via the FG Object Placement Tool
radi

Postby VicMar » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:39 am

Hi Radi,

No, there isn't a way the database would accept the same texture for multiple models, even if they are all in the same location, folder, area or .stg file etc.

The current requirement for submitting means the name of the model must be in the texture too, so modelX.ac, modelX_thumbnail and modelX.png are acceptable.

Provided each model has an individual identity, the same texture could be used, but it must bear the same name as the model, e.g. modelz.ac, modelz_thumbnail and modelz.png (plus modelz.xml if needed)

Vic
p.s. If you take a look in Scenery-TerraSync/Models/Maritime/Civilian, you will find many of the lifeboat and RNLI textures doubled and trebled up on different models.
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

Postby radi » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:08 pm

Thanks for clarifying this, Vic!

Has this been discussed before? I've searched the forums, but didnt find anything. Is there any chance such a feature would be implemented in the future? Or are there any fundamental objections?
radi

Postby VicMar » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:31 pm

I can't claim to be an expert, but the way the requirements for submissions has been put together, the majority of the straightforward checks can be done automatically. Previously, when all these checks were done manually, it fell to one person to do the whole thing. Quite understandably that was a terrific load on the person doing it and something needed to be done to spread that load.

Intelligent heads got together and devised the present set of input forms and the automatic checking they facilitated. This allowed other validators to step in and help share the load. There are still improvements being made to the system, but I can't see a future for sharing textures coming about when the present simple method is working so well.

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

Postby radi » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:52 pm

I can't see a future for sharing textures coming about when the present simple method is working so well

I totally agree that the current method works great for single models with individual textures.

However, a shared texture is a dead simple way of saving ressources, which are always precious for flight sim. FG itself easily handles this case. I think it's very important to have this feature.

Now, I have no idea about the internals of the scenery DB, nor the submission form. But how about this:

I have two models A.ac and B.ac, both share the texture A.png. Submitting the model A.ac and A.png works fine.

Now I want to submit B.ac. How about adding a text field to the submission form where I have to type 'A.png', saying that B.ac requires A.png. The submission algorithm then checks if A.png is already present in the DB in the target scenery path. Wouldn't this solve the problem?
radi

Postby VicMar » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:45 am

Hi Radi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll point the guys who would have to arrange what you suggest towards this message.

I doubt very much that what you suggest is as simple as you think. Let's see what they say.

Cheers,
Vic
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

PreviousNext

Return to Scenery