Board index FlightGear Support Multiplayer

SquawkGear VATSIM Can't see other aircraft.

Trouble getting online, setting up a server?
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- copy&paste your commandline.

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

SquawkGear VATSIM Can't see other aircraft.

Postby bishb25 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:57 am

Hi all,

I don't know if this is the best place to post this.

I'm connecting to VATSIM according to the instructions here: http://squawkgear.wordpress.com/

Everything appears to work fine, I can log into VATSIM, I can talk to (text and voice) ATC or other aircraft, and I show up on the map at VATVIEW.com. The only thing I can't seem to do is see other aircraft. they don't show up on the flightgear map either.

Please help. If I can't see the other aircraft I can't follow or linup behind them when instructed. I'd hate to give FG a bad name on the network by running over other VATSIM users all of the time.

Flightgear GIT,
PCLinuxOS
SB747 and AVC running in Wine.
Callsign: cncman
"The only thing smart about me... I know where to find the answers." I think?
bishb25

Version: GIT

Re: SquawkGear VATSIM Can't see other aircraft.

Postby Gijs » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:29 pm

Hm, it's been a while since I used it, so I cannot help you with any of the technical details. But, do you see blue/yellow glider models as placeholders for the aircraft (be warned, those can be very small)? The aircraft types/names that VATSIM reports do not always have a corresponding AI model in FlightGear...
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Re: SquawkGear VATSIM Can't see other aircraft.

Postby bishb25 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:42 am

I can't see anything, aircraft nor gliders. I've tried logging in to different airports that vatspy or vatview showed traffic at, but my screen, FG_MAP, and pilot list remain empty. It could have something to do with the massive leap in development between FG 2.6 and 2.8+. Hasn't the multiplayer environment/protocol been revamped since 2.6? Maybe squawkgear needs updated to match?

In the squawkgear instructions we're supposed to remove the "multiplay=out" line and add a "generic=socket,out" protocol. However, in 2.9, without a valid "multiplay=out" line multiplayer mode is disabled. I've tried enabling "multiplay=out" to localhost on a port nothing is listening on. This enables multiplayer in FG, but I still can't get traffic input from VATSIM.
"The only thing smart about me... I know where to find the answers." I think?
bishb25

Version: GIT

Return to Multiplayer