Board index FlightGear Support Multiplayer

Multiplayer use  Topic is solved

Trouble getting online, setting up a server?
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- copy&paste your commandline.

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Multiplayer use

Postby BRT » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:27 pm

Hi

I may be wrong but I have a feeling that only a small portion of people who have the FlightGear program know how to set up
and use multiplayer. I think that if it was simpler to set it up, (when your new to FG) or even if there was just some instructions, on the FGrun, the online FG community would be bigger. At the moment its only around 20-70 pilots online mpmap usually. Because FlightGear is kind of quite 'famous' (when you type it in google) i'm surpised there arnt more online users?

I dunno if this topic has already been talked about.
thanks in advance!
:D :D
BRT

Re: Multiplayer use  

Postby stuart » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:31 pm

Hi BRT,

It's difficult to see how it could be made easier to set up. With 2.8.0 we have an in-sim UI to select the MP Server and start/stop it at will - there's no need to set anything up from FGRun or the command-line. It's described in The Manual as well.

Personally, I rarely run FG with MP switched on unless I'm intentionally wanting to fly with other people, so perhaps that's the reason?

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby Groucho » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:51 pm

Personally I like to fly where real people are because the world looks much more realistic if it is a bit more crowded - AI aircraft is not a good replacement for real life traffic.
Multiplayer capabilities out-of-the-box is one of the features which are superior to eg. X-Plane so I am also surprised about the lack of a more crowded air space.
Helis: EC130, Bo105, UH-1, R22
Twins/Jets: Aerostar, CRJ-200
Groucho

Callsign: D-HARP
Version: GIT

Postby BRT » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:02 am

Ok. Thanks for reply.

It might not be possible to make it easier. I was just surprised how few people fly online in FG, when there is so many users.

:D
BRT

Return to Multiplayer