Board index FlightGear Development New features

Bombable glitch

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Bombable glitch

Postby BRT » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:27 pm

Hi

i have FG v2.8, on a windows xp. when i installed bombable to flightgear there is a weird glitch, basically when you crash or explode the fire and explosions are in yellow and red but they are exactly square shaped and its looks rubbishly unrealistic.

does anyone else have this with v2.8 as it worked fine when i insatlled it on 2.6..
im guessing that the bombable 4 isn't compatible with FG anymore? maybe is needs to be updated to work on v2.8?

thanks in advance :D
BRT

Re: Bombable glitch

Postby Hooray » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:40 pm

You are probably right regarding compability - basically, flug (the bombable developer) is extremely busy at the moment and can hardly be reached via the forums/eMail.
He said he's still interested in maintaining/developing bombable, but it's obvious that he wasn't actively developing/maintaining the addon during the 2.6=>2.8 development cycle, so it's definitely possible that some regressions got introduced in the meantime, because of changes in the core code.

PS: You may want to post a screen shot that shows the problem
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby BRT » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:56 pm

ok thanks :D
BRT

Postby Berserker » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:49 pm

I have a Mac and (obviously) on ver. 2.6. Bombable doesn't want to work, not even load up FG! Now, does this mean it will only work for ver. 2.4 or something?
Favorite Planes on FG: F-14, A-10, A-4, A-6, F-18, Cessna Skymaster, MiG-21, MiG-15, Mirage 2000, and the B-1B.

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato
Berserker

Callsign: Ironman
Version: 3.2

Postby BRT » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:32 pm

i think your right it will only work on 2.4 for you. on mac
and for me only on 2.6. windows

:?:
BRT

Postby BRT » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:49 pm

Can he be contacted and asked if he would like to update bombable? :D

thanks
BRT

Postby Neilson » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:57 pm

Voodoo at FGUK got i contact with Flug at some point.

Here is some info on it, i believe it got fixed.
http://www.fguk.eu/forum/flightgear-gen ... mitstart=0
Neilson

Callsign: Neilson
Version: 2017.3.1

Postby BRT » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:11 pm

Ok, thanks

do you know if the new version compatible with 2.10? :D
BRT

Postby Hooray » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:22 am

absent any screen shots, I would guess that the original description of the "glitch" would suggest that this is shader related ?
While flug may currently be unavailable, our shader developers are fairly active and they do maintain various shaders and effects.
So if anybody could post screenshots demonstrating the issue, we could move this to the effects/shader forum to get such glitches hopefully resolved ?

Alternatively, maybe some of the more experienced FG/bombable users could try installing and running bombable using FG 2.10+ and report back with any issues here (or preferably using the wiki) ?

Technically, there's really no reason why we should not be able to maintain our own fork of flug's bombable addon and backport any required "fixes" to make bombable work on FG >= 2.10 until flug can review all changes and merge things with his official version (once it is maintained again).

According to the links posted here, I'd guess that the FGUK guys could be willing to team up with us to make that happen ?
I'd suggest using gitorious or github for this.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby flug » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:37 pm

Hooray wrote in Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:22 am:absent any screen shots, I would guess that the original description of the "glitch" would suggest that this is shader related ?

I've finally got a ver. of Bombable out that works around this bug. Download here.

However I do think it is a bug in ver 2.8 and 2.10 of FG and it would be great if it were addressed. It happens when more than one particlesystem is included within a single .xml file. Vodoun da Vinci submitted a bug report here: https://code.google.com/p/flightgear-bu ... ail?id=980

For now I just patched up the problem by eliminated the second particlesystem from those files that had it, but the result is a some loss of interesting effects. (And working around the bug to add a second xml file to handle the 2nd particlesystem whenever it's wanted would add a surprising lot of code to Bombable.)

FYI I indeed wouldn't mind at all if people would patch the Bombable code and just release it as a fork, as you suggested. In fact it would probably be smart to upload Bombable to Gitorious or the like so we can more easily invite other developers to help out.
flug

Postby Hooray » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:47 pm

In fact it would probably be smart to upload Bombable to Gitorious or the like so we can more easily invite other developers to help out.

yes, that sounds like a good idea - but please understand that I only suggested that, because of your own schedule. And obviously, we do have a bunch of talented scripters here who know quite a bit of Nasal, and "fixing" an issue is obviously not as complex as developing the whole bombable beast from scratch :D Especially, if the source code is sufficiently well-commented and documents known issues/todos/fixmes.

Suggestion: if you could create a corresponding gitorious* project for bombable and upload your latest release, you can add me as another admin, so that I can add others, in case you are not around. Using git would seem like a good idea, because it will also be easier for you to look at suggested changes, i.e. a time-saver (compared to keeping up with the forum and searching for "bombable" here).

I could also help create a bunch of bombable related tutorials to better document its design/internals and lower the entry barrier for new contributors.

*: For some reason, github seems to be more popular among base package developers than gitorious ... maybe because of the issue tracker and workflows ?
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby flug » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:21 pm

Hooray wrote in Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:47 pm:
In fact it would probably be smart to upload Bombable to Gitorious or the like so we can more easily invite other developers to help out.
Suggestion: if you could create a corresponding gitorious* project for bombable and upload your latest release, you can add me as another admin, so that I can add others, in case you are not around. Using git would seem like a good idea, because it will also be easier for you to look at suggested changes, i.e. a time-saver (compared to keeping up with the forum and searching for "bombable" here).

OK, it's done! https://github.com/bhugh/Bombable

If you want to PM me with your github ID I'll add you as an admin.

I could also help create a bunch of bombable related tutorials to better document its design/internals and lower the entry barrier for new contributors.

That would be very excellent if you have the time and energy!
flug

Postby BRT » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:20 pm

Thanks!

I was looking forward to using bombable on V2.10!

Maybe an dogfight event could be held sometime? :D
BRT

Return to New features