Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

The Husky Norseman - Anyone willing to help?

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

The Husky Norseman - Anyone willing to help?

Postby Chris » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:16 pm

Hi, I'm a 14 year old pilot/geek from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada. I fly ultralights out at an airpark just outside of town. I really like flightgear, and I was wondering if anyone would like to help me make a model of this plane? It is much like the J3 Cub, but it has dual side-by-side seats instead of inline, so it's wider.

Here ae some pictures of this plane:

There's a few more pictures of these planes at http://www.cormanairpark.ca/

I know this will be a lot of work, and that's why I need help. So is anyone willing to give it a shot?

Thanks!
Chris

Postby pauljs75 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:47 am

The 3D mesh part couldn't be terribly hard with the right plans (if you know of quality blueprints anywhere, that's a big plus.) Photos are also some help too, but if they're soley relied upon - you can get perspective distortion introduced into your model. (Dimensions would be off, and it'd only look right from the reference photo's viewpoint.) Also if you have some means of examining a 3D model, providing feedback to any modelers taking on the task will also improve things when it comes to getting the finer details. This would require knowing what views to ask for, or learning your way around some 3D apps yourself.

As for coding, don't ask me personally - I'm not so great in that department. However you might find someone who would be up to the challenge. It seems to be a come and go thing, depending on how busy and/or inspired someone is feeling at the moment. It can happen, just don't expect much for "right now". Rigging would probably be the easiest to get going, the harder part is probably getting the flight model and any other aircraft operational and/or behavior quirks coded in.
pauljs75

Postby jentron » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:28 am

Aeromatic generates reasonable flight dynamic models with simple numbers. Datcom+ does a better job, but requires much more effort.
jentron

Version: custom

Postby pauljs75 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:20 am

Hmmm... Closest thing to plans so far is a little graphic in an image at this website: http://www.cormanairpark.ca/aboutNorseman.htm

Probably a bit on the low res side to get accuracy if it were applied to an image plane for modeling, but maybe better than nothing. No dimensions on that little pic either. Also I found through the website that the two-seater is the Husky Norseman II.
pauljs75

Postby Chris » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:55 am

I could probably get some sort of plans from my instructor, he owns the place, and builds these planes so I'd imagine he's got something around.
Chris

Return to Aircraft