Board index FlightGear Development Canvas

UFO - just a reminder.

Canvas is FlightGear's new fully scriptable 2D drawing system that will allow you to easily create new instruments, HUDs and even GUI dialogs and custom GUI widgets, without having to write C++ code and without having to rebuild FlightGear.

UFO - just a reminder.

Postby f-ojac » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:31 am

Hi all,
First, thanks a lot for working on this feature. It looks definitely promising, both for cockpit and UI stuffs. Congratulations and keep going!
I just had a small question/notice/comment/feature request (as you wish to call it).
The UFO, as you surely know, is fun to fly but also provides scenery devs with a lot of useful tools, such as a list of all objects available in FG. The objects can be placed, moved, and exported within the sim.
This feature has to be kept, it's quite different from what can be seen in other aircrafts, I think it would be a good playground.
The other thing is, we currently have a scrolling list of all models. While this has proved to be efficient with a limited number of objects, probably the future will make us need a more powerful UI for this, I was thinking of a kind of expandable list with +/- signs to expand/retract. Do you think this could be achievable? (not asking you to do it, but if you want the UFO as a playground...).

Thanks.
Olivier
f-ojac

Version: GIT

Re: UFO - just a reminder.

Postby Hooray » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:15 pm

I don't understand: did anybody modify the ufo in FGDATA so that it's no longer a plain and simple aircraft?
So far, Tom's never modified an existing aircraft for his demos, but just copied it to a separate aircraft - e.g. c172p-canvas-demo

The other thing is, we currently have a scrolling list of all models. While this has proved to be efficient with a limited number of objects, probably the future will make us need a more powerful UI for this, I was thinking of a kind of expandable list with +/- signs to expand/retract. Do you think this could be achievable?

Yes, that's already possible now. But Tom and James are currently working on an improved events handling system, where GUI (mouse/keyboard) events may propagate through complex chains of handlers.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby f-ojac » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:30 pm

Hi Hooray,
No, I didn't mean somebody recently updated the ufo. Try the Tab and Space keys when flying it, it's faire from a plain an simple aircraft ;-)
Just wanted you to notice the specific features of this aircraft.
I really think it's an aircraft with specific features needing specific attention.
f-ojac

Version: GIT

Postby Hooray » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:39 pm

I know that it can be used for scenery editing - but we could just as well have an "scenery-editor" or "ufo-edit" aircraft to further develop such features.
The original idea of the ufo was definitely being a simple scenery exploration tool.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Hooray » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:33 pm

f-ojac wrote in Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:31 am:The other thing is, we currently have a scrolling list of all models. While this has proved to be efficient with a limited number of objects, probably the future will make us need a more powerful UI for this, I was thinking of a kind of expandable list with +/- signs to expand/retract.

Looking at the scroll-list, I'd probably suggest to use something like a file browser, where the user may select a folder from which to load models.
Or maybe just start adding categories to each model, so that a combo box can be shown to pick a certain category of models?

To be honest, I am not even sure if that's really something that would require a separate widget-type?
What you are requesting could already be implemented now, with the existing UI and some Nasal script to add two new buttons (+/-) and dynamically modify the list of models. Or what type of GUI do you have in mind here?
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Return to Canvas