Board index FlightGear Support Flying Helicopter

Helicopter rudder control

Helicopter flying is completely different from flying a fixed-wing aircraft and thus requires different skills.

Helicopter rudder control

Postby MOJO » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:13 pm

Hi all,

I was recently watching one of HHS videos on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB_oPQh-OZ8

Does any one know how to perform the spin that is between 10 and 17 seconds of the video?

I thought this would have been the rudder but when I use rudder to try this it doesn't work very well. I'm thinking it maybe a case of modifying one of the control file xmls. I use the mouse to fly if that's any help.

Cheers
F-18 Hornets by Mandate - F-14 Tomcats by Choice
MOJO

Callsign: MOJO
Version: 2

Re: Helicopter rudder control

Postby someguy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:59 am

Mojo, it's rudder all right. I don't know how you can fly a heli without a joystick. With a mouse, you press the left button for rudder, but then you lose control of the roll axis. The keyboard doesn't respond quickly enough to fly a heli, IMHO.

To make flying helis easier, I removed the twist spring in my stick so it no longer self centers. Kinda tricky landing taildraggers on a carrier though... :) I guess I need two sticks, one for fixed wing and one for rotary.

Buy a stick, for goodness sake.
someguy

Version: 2019.1.1

Postby MOJO » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:26 am

Hi Someguy,

Flying a heli with the mouse is pretty easy in my opinion. I've got a new PC and now the fps are between 50-60 it makes it's more easier to fly with a mouse especially the landings. I can remember Heiko posting that video a while back and he said he performed it with a mouse (I'm sure he did).

What I have noticed with the rudder on aircraft and helis with FG is....when you use rudder it feels like someone is holding onto the tail and just swinging it from left to right but it doesn't seem to spin it on it's axis like it does in the video. It's not important right now but with some of the tight spots I land in it would be useful to get it acting like it does in the video.

PS, can you buy me a stick for Christmas ;)
MOJO

Postby Groucho » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:07 am

Well, I can't say anything about the mouse here. But basically the helicopter is lifted up, brought in a stable hover and then turned around with the rudder pedals.
While still compensating movements around any other axis.
Ás Heiko states in the comments it is all about practice. Personally I do not use the mouse but a stick with a twist grip. Makes life a whole lot easier.
Helis: EC130, Bo105, UH-1, R22
Twins/Jets: Aerostar, CRJ-200
Groucho

Callsign: D-HARP
Version: GIT

Postby MOJO » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:07 am

I'll try and post a video so you can see what happens :) I've been practising this now since 2009 :(
MOJO

Postby someguy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:56 pm

As Groucho said, all the controls are interactive, and every change to one requires corresponding adjustment of the others to compensate. Heiko's video looks like he's using only rudder, but he must be making constant changes in all axes to appear that smooth. However much practice you have, I guarantee that Heiko has more! :)

Do you have rudder coordination disabled?
someguy

Version: 2019.1.1

Return to Helicopter