Board index FlightGear Development Canvas

How to start with Canvas ?

Canvas is FlightGear's new fully scriptable 2D drawing system that will allow you to easily create new instruments, HUDs and even GUI dialogs and custom GUI widgets, without having to write C++ code and without having to rebuild FlightGear.

How to start with Canvas ?

Postby omega95 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:31 pm

TheTom wrote in Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:50 pm:Experiments with Canvas based windows (The appearance and mouse interaction has all been scripted using Nasal):

I could really get my hands on something like that now, is this already in your git repository? :mrgreen:
Merlion Virtual Airlines - the experience of a flight time...
Get high quality aircraft, airports, video tutorials or development tools from my hangar.
omega95

Callsign: MIA0001, OM-EGA
IRC name: omega95
Version: 2.12 git

Re: Changelog & Progress

Postby Hooray » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:44 pm

Yes, it's all in Tom's fgdata branch - for this particular demo, see Tom's menubar.xml file, which contains all the Nasal code embedded inline: https://gitorious.org/~tomprogs/fg/toms ... 82ea24d992
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby omega95 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:29 am

Hooray wrote in Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:44 pm:Yes, it's all in Tom's fgdata branch - for this particular demo, see Tom's menubar.xml file, which contains all the Nasal code embedded inline: https://gitorious.org/~tomprogs/fg/toms ... 82ea24d992

Do I need to pull Tom's fgdata too? Or just flightgear? I know fgdata has the examples but then I could look at those directly from the web. Is there anything else in fgdata that I'd need to run canvas guis? :)

By the way, with the new canvas system, I'm working on a TCAS, to check out it's actual drawing capabilities. :)

Hmm, what does this mean :?:

Code: Select all
Cloning into 'toms-flightgear'...
remote: Counting objects: 81130, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (21195/21195), done.
remote: Total 81130 (delta 65068), reused 74427 (delta 59686)
Receiving objects: 100% (81130/81130), 21.93 MiB | 47 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (65068/65068), done.
warning: remote HEAD refers to nonexistent ref, unable to checkout.
Merlion Virtual Airlines - the experience of a flight time...
Get high quality aircraft, airports, video tutorials or development tools from my hangar.
omega95

Callsign: MIA0001, OM-EGA
IRC name: omega95
Version: 2.12 git

Postby TheTom » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:11 am

omega95 wrote in Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:29 am:Do I need to pull Tom's fgdata too? Or just flightgear? I know fgdata has the examples but then I could look at those directly from the web. Is there anything else in fgdata that I'd need to run canvas guis? :)

You don't need my flightgear branch as I've already pushed everything to the main flightgear repository. You just need an up-to-date flightgear from git or a daily build from jenkins. Also the Nasal API is included in the official fgdata git repository. So you only need to get the examples itself, either by copying them manually or by checking out my fgdata canvas branch:

Code: Select all
# Go to your fgdata checkout and add my repository as git remote:
$ git remote add toms-fgdata git://gitorious.org/~tomprogs/fg/toms-fgdata.git
$ git checkout toms-fgdata canvas -b canvas

If you want to see which demos I've added its best to have a look at the commit log (either git log or https://gitorious.org/~tomprogs/fg/toms ... its/canvas).
TheTom

Return to Canvas