Board index FlightGear Development

Using the Generic Pilot

FlightGear is opensource, so you can be the developer. In the need for help on anything? We are here to help you.
Forum rules
Core development is discussed on the official FlightGear-Devel development mailing list.

Bugs can be reported in the bug tracker.

Using the Generic Pilot

Postby mr_no » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:40 pm

I was looking at the Generic Pilots (FlightGear2.8.0\data\Aircraft\Generic\Pilot) and I can't find one example aircraft that uses generic pilots in a way that they get referenced from the model xml. Most authors make a copy of the pilot and then adapt it for their own needs. Please give me an example of how those are used, with animation of hands and all.

Second thing I noticed was that many aircraft that come with default FG package don't have any pilot. Basically you see a ghost airplane. Those are following:
ask13
c172p
dragonfly
Seneca II.
Those should probably get a pilot preferably referencing a generic one.
Mosquito-XE JT-5B-autogyro Extra-300s STOL-Ch701
mr_no

Re: Using the Generic Pilot

Postby helijah » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:25 pm

Hey me_no,

Aaaahhh the pilots in aircraft. The aircrafts without pilots......

A vast subject and many discussions. I was the first to impose pilots across all my airplanes. Contra the opinion of many people. Personally I find that in a simulator, Pilots are MANDATORY !

By the way it is I who has converted several superb pilots of Bertrand AUGRAS (for X-Plane) http://xpfr.org/?body=aero_outils&lng=EN. Many are trying to convince me to remove the drivers. But I always refused. Worse, some of them remove in the pilot view. But I am sorry for them. In reality, when a pilot looks down at the pedals, he sees ..... his feet !

I was pleased to see the drivers appear in Generic. I have not had time to change my airplanes for it. But it is expected :)

Regards. Emmanuel

P.S. Just a reminder : I, 3 years ago, made a mire advanced version of senecaII. Addind the selectir livery (with real UV Map), add pilot, new nose....etc....
You can try it with it : http://helijah.free.fr/senecaII-29-04-2009.tar.gz

Add a new SenecaII and no change the old version. --aircraft=SenecaII-2
Some planes (and other) for FlightGear
http://helijah.free.fr
and
http://embaranger.free.fr
helijah

Callsign: helijah
IRC name: helijah
Version: GIT

Postby mr_no » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:50 am

Well no, I don't think there should be a pilot when you look at the instruments, because it would block you view. That's annoying. I think it should only be there when you look from the outside. If there's no pilot when you look from the outside it looks really weird, like an airplane flying itself. :shock:
mr_no

Postby helijah » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:45 pm

mr_no wrote in Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:50 am:Well no, I don't think there should be a pilot when you look at the instruments, because it would block you view.

It is absolutely impossible if the position of the view is correctly calculated. We must not forget that the facet in FG is only visible to one side. Even if the camera is inside the face, the face will not be embarrassing because it is invisible from the camera :)

Regards Emmanuel
Some planes (and other) for FlightGear
http://helijah.free.fr
and
http://embaranger.free.fr
helijah

Callsign: helijah
IRC name: helijah

Postby Alant » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:45 pm

But the pilot´s body and limbs will still hide some instruments,contraols and switches, mainly at the sides and behind the yoke/joystick.
In real aircraft it is possible to move your head to get a clearer view, or reposition the ofending limb. Not so easy in FG.

E.G. In a family car it is often necessary to do this to see the fuel guage.

Much depends on thye aircraft. For a simple one with most things on a small front panel, the pilot will probably not be in the way. In the constricted cockpit of a fast military jet the oposite is likely.
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: latest Git

Postby pjedvaj » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:19 am

Here is one of possible solutions:

Code: Select all
<model>
      <path>Aircraft/blank/models/pilot.xml</path>
      <offsets>
         <x-m>0</x-m>
         <y-m>0</y-m>
         <z-m>0</z-m>
         <pitch-deg>0</pitch-deg>
      </offsets>
      <condition>
         <not>
            <property>/sim/current-view/internal</property>
         </not>
      </condition>
   </model>
Retired
pjedvaj

Postby DFaber » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:11 pm

Hi mr_no,

mr_no wrote in Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:40 pm:Most authors make a copy of the pilot and then adapt it for their own needs. Please give me an example of how those are used, with animation of hands and all.

I use pilot models on my Aircraft that can be at least posed by XML file. No need to adapt the model, just change the <offse-deg> tags in the Model XML File. The most advanced pilot example is in the PC-6. The model may be a little low poly and the limbs are separate objects as there is no morphing animation in FG, but posing and re-positioning is easy.
An excellent example what can be done with it is the animated walker in the Bluebird, which also utilizes the model. However, accurate animation of the arms holding the stick is up to now impossible because there are two movments (pull and roll) to synchronize.

Someday I hope to make the Pilot (or Co Pilot, Cabin Personnel, etc...) themeable and interchangeable at runtime.

Greetings
Detlef Faber
FlightGear Development:
http://flightgear-de.net

my 3D-Art:
https://www.sol2500.net
DFaber

Postby mr_no » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:21 am

You did misunderstand me a little. I was talking about referencing the pilot models that follow with FG's default package. I don't know how to use those with complex animations. It's easier to copy, import and remodel for your own needs.
Despite it being easier i find it hard to do complex animations.
Pulling stick forward goes well but then when you include ailerons it starts creating issues.

Here's the successful part. I was testing and playing around with one of my favorites.

More screenshots
mr_no

Postby Cpt Goosnen » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:22 am

...starts creating issues... thats what i recognized as i wantet to configure a stick, so i let the pilot as it is ...

Maybe can anyone give a explenation of configuring pilots, or post some example xml's
(not the offsets!! i think he asked about the handles- movings!!)

btw @All

isnt there any good List about Models/Objects at least maybe PILOTS, from flightgear
without git, just a site where all new models are linked??? and maybe with working links

or is it all split into hundrets and hundrets sites??

regards simnoob
actually quite still naive
Cpt Goosnen

Callsign: Arse
Version: 3.0

Postby hvengel » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:45 am

Cpt Goosnen wrote in Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:22 am:....
isnt there any good List about Models/Objects at least maybe PILOTS, from flightgear
without git, just a site where all new models are linked??? and maybe with working links

or is it all split into hundrets and hundrets sites??

regards simnoob

You can grab almost anything from FG git by using the Gitorious interface on the web. Not as easy as clicking a link but not much harder either and you always get the latest greatest version.
hvengel
Retired

Postby Cpt Goosnen » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:55 am

thx

i will try to get in this...
actually quite still naive
Cpt Goosnen

Callsign: Arse
Version: 3.0

Return to Development