Board index FlightGear Release candidates 2.8

OpenGL "Out of Memory"?

This is the archive of topics about the 2.8 release candidates.

OpenGL "Out of Memory"?

Postby kyokoyama » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:55 am

Code: Select all
Warning: detected OpenGL error 'out of memory' at after RenderBin::draw(..)

This is the message that I get when I try to fly at KLAX -an airport with custom scenery models that're large, but shouldn't be too graphically intensive.

Before, I used to fly in and out of KLAX without problems -the whole plane is there, I take off and land, and it's all fine.
However, once I tried flying with FG 2.8 RC3, I experienced odd problems...

First, when I spawn at LAX's gates, my landing gear's wheels and the front of my engines disappear; they don't show up in the model at all.
Strangely, they still work as they should... and the gears appear like they should if I start from any runway.
(I see the message on the top of this post at startup; I'm guessing the 'memory outage' points to this)
This partial aircraft disappearance does not happen in non-graphically intensive airports like TBPB.

And second, I cannot maximize my FG window once.
What I mean is, I have to maximize it once and return it to its small "original" size before I can successfully make the FG window bigger. Also, this sometimes causes FG to hang and eventually force me to quit out.
As far as I'm aware, this shouldn't be happening...

I'm using an ATI Radeon HD 5450 GPU with AMD Catalyst 11.4. I was told that this should solve my recurring issues, but... then this happened.
I couldn't find any precedents to this problem; only different ones with the same console message. What should I do?

Thank you, beforehand.
Look for "B-BIRD" "N127KY" or "AVA0004" -that's me.

Despite having over 1700 posts here, I am not even close to being the most skilled guy here... I'm just words and bad drawing, not experience. :P
kyokoyama

Callsign: B-BIRD, N127KY
Version: 2.12.1

Re: OpenGL "Out of Memory"?

Postby fredb » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:29 am

Rembrandt needs a lot of GPU memory to build the image and the shadows ( http://wiki.flightgear.org/Project_Remb ... onsumption ). Moreover, resizing should be avoided as at one time it requires twice the memory of a single view before the old buffers are destroyed. Prefer starting FG with the correct size. And if you have a fancy screen saver or 3d desktop, or the fgrun 3d preview on, the GPU memory available is not at its maximum when you start FG.
fredb

Postby mr_no » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:55 pm

Not just Rembrandt. I get this on normal with too much buildings.
Mosquito-XE JT-5B-autogyro Extra-300s STOL-Ch701
mr_no

Postby fredb » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:15 pm

So you have to tune what you have on screen with your hardware resources
fredb

Postby ot-666 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:23 pm

I have this problem too and it makes it impossible to fly over any custom scenery for more then a couple of minutes. Even with eye candy dialled down to zero fgfs will run out of memory after a couple of minutes over clc06+apt850 terrain..

Issue 791

Looks like the 64bit FGFS versions do not have this problem, but there is no regular 64bit fg version from Jenkins :?
Callsign: ot-666
Working on LOWI and other stuff - Custom Scenery Overlay Repo: http://gitorious.org/fgfs-custom-scenery/custom-scenery-overlay/
VMX22 - Osprey... sometimes in 2014
ot-666

IRC name: ot666
Version: GIT

Postby kyokoyama » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:26 pm

Same here... and here's the weirder part.

When I turn on the atmospheric shader, the second problem (not being able to maximize the screen) gets solved.
(No changes on the first problem, though)

-Besides, Rembrandt is turned off in all cases, so I doubt that's the issue.

Despite having over 1700 posts here, I am not even close to being the most skilled guy here... I'm just words and bad drawing, not experience. :P
kyokoyama

Postby ot-666 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:40 pm

Is 11.4 the latest available driver for your card?
I had mixed results with all drivers from 2011 for my 5870. Only the latest ones (12.x) like the fg shaders, but on some aircraft the screen is scaled if a mp message is shown.
ATI drivers are a mess… :evil:
Working on LOWI and other stuff - Custom Scenery Overlay Repo: http://gitorious.org/fgfs-custom-scenery/custom-scenery-overlay/
ot-666

Postby kyokoyama » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:09 pm

The latest version is like 12.4 or 5, but aren't there severe(r) problems with FG for versions 11.5 and above?

kyokoyama

Postby Thorsten » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:48 am

I have this problem too and it makes it impossible to fly over any custom scenery for more then a couple of minutes. Even with eye candy dialled down to zero fgfs will run out of memory after a couple of minutes over clc06+apt850 terrain..

Are you gentlemen using random buildings or not?

I've had precisely the same issue when flying around Rainier that as soon as the scenery tiles started building Seattle and populating it with buildings, my memory usage exploded and Flightgear crashed.

I've done a subsequent benchmark test with French custom scenery over the Alps (a region where you do *not* expect lots of buildings to be generated because it's largely unpopulated). With ~40 km visibility range, my memory usage was ~1 GB without random buildings and ~1.9 GB with random buildings set to a density of 0.6 (!). This is in a largely unpopulated area, for a very moderate building density. If you have large urban areas in the vicinity or crank the slider up (because it doesn't seem to cost any additional framerate and looks so nice) you might easily create three or four times the memory footprint you are used to.

You might hear the words 'takes a lot of memory' now and then, but I think that's not the same as realizing that buildings can account for 2/3 or more of your total memory requirements.

The solution for me is to either limit the visibility to a modest value so that tile and building footprint is moderate, or not to use random buildings.

What I mean is, I have to maximize it once and return it to its small "original" size before I can successfully make the FG window bigger.

Funny - I could never ever resize the window. I wasn't aware this worked for others.
Thorsten

Postby ot-666 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:52 am

It happens even without random buildings or trees :(
Without them I can fly about 5 to 20minutes depending on terrain and if trees or random buildings are present that time is dramatically reduced.
Starting up in a detailed plane or running into MP users flying detailed planes can triggers the same effect. Using custom LOWI in a 787-8 and most likely FG runs out of memory on start-up. The trees and buildings just make the effect happen much sooner, but the fgfs win32 bit version is currently unusable for any decent flying.

Resizing the window works here.
ot-666

Postby Thorsten » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:34 am

Can you guys run a system monitor to check memory consumption for a benchmark location (say, spawn ufo at 10.000 ft over KSFO and wait till memory usage stops growing)? I'd like to compare that with my numbers. I have a self-compiled binary from June (where everything seemed normal to me) and a brand-new GIT binary to compare with.

Also, if you have older versions of Flightgear, can you check memory consumption against those?
Thorsten

Postby mr_no » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:01 pm

ufo-10000ft; KSFO-10R; fair weather; noon;
random buildings density 0.5;
window maximized on 1366x768 desktop;

straight up 10000ft 700 MB
flight arround SF area back to KSFO 800 MB
connected online arround 10 pilots
with aircrafts i have installed 1,1 Gb

flew arround the airport 1,5Gb

close to crashing, getting several
OpenGL error out of memory messages,
waiting for crash. more warnings 1,55Gb
(It usually crashes at this point with "not enough space" message)

I'd say that I start getting OpenGL warnings at 1,3GB.

disconnected,
memory at 1,2 GB

reset,
memory still at 1,2 GB despite reset.

restart
700 and then 800-850MB at KSFO.
Online with less players 1.1 GB
disconnected stable at 1 GB
end

FG 2.6.0
start 700-800 MB
online few pilots 1 GB
disconnected still at 1 GB
didn't get to crashing point 1,5 GB there were not enough players online.

Two conclusions
1. when disconnected memory gained connecting isnt free.
2. when many players are online you gain big memory usage

So in my case there was 700 MB memory usage more just by connecting online.
This can't be good. I think some heavy optimization should be done for online usage.
Mosquito-XE JT-5B-autogyro Extra-300s STOL-Ch701
mr_no

Postby Thorsten » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:32 pm

Hm, 1.5 GB before running into trouble isn't that much... in custom scenery I fill a GB easily on startup, and flying around a bit regularly touch 2 GB. I have 4 GB of memory to begin with, though...

Flightgear might have an increased memory footprint due to better textures arriving on the scene. I'm not quite sure what is loaded on startup, but I think many textures are pre-loaded just in case. You could try moving the Textures.high/ folder somewhere else so the system goes with the lowres textures only in order to check how much of a difference textures make.

Highly detailed aircraft being loaded for MP is certainly also a problem (which I never see since I don't do MP). In principle there is a system in place that for AI or MP purposes the model shown is a lowres version - however that's up to the aircraft maintainer to implement and simply not done in many cases.
Thorsten

Postby fredb » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:50 pm

ot-666 wrote in Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:23 pm: but there is no regular 64bit fg version from Jenkins :?

Not true anymore.
fredb

Postby wrench11062 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:41 pm

Hello,
If you go to media shots and look for my post of bad scenes at KIAD, you will see that I ran into this also.
The only thing I finally did was to dial back on the load of graphic choices. And then you can see my found tires here in this forum.
Once dialed back, no more errors.
Even with the missing tires and engine inards it flew quite well, although not as responsive in grd steering. (still waitn 4 a bill for tarmac repair). :)
Prime example of what happens when you put a monkey in a capsule full of buttons and switches...Now, wheres that damn banana?...
wrench11062

Callsign: Tchaser/CrshLdr
Version: Git 64Bit

Next

Return to 2.8