Board index FlightGear Release candidates 2.8

Linux and FG 2.8? (im very impatient)

This is the archive of topics about the 2.8 release candidates.

Linux and FG 2.8? (im very impatient)

Postby javajames » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:02 pm

I'm a little impatient and can't wait till 2.8 official release.

I can't seem to find how to get 2.8 flight gear under ubuntu. I tried going through the install again. But using

Code: Select all
git checkout -b 2.8.0 origin/release/2.8.0
for simgear and flightgear from git but i got unresolvable repo errors.

Can anyone explain what i need to do to get the 2.8 release? It makes me pretty angry that windows and mac gets so much support and we don't even get a small mention of where to get the source code >.>. Surely FG doesn't want to be supporting microsofts vicious cycle of user capture?

Also, if anyone has done the precedure for 2.8, what other libraries do i need?
javajames

Re: Linux and FG 2.8? (im very impatient)

Postby i4dnf » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:23 pm

Try the Brisa script ( download-and-compile.sh or something like that), it's tailored for ubuntu. Searching the forums should bring you to it.

The errors you got are due to the fact that the release branches have not been created yet. They will be created after Juy 17th. You still need to pull simgear and flightgear from next, and fgdata from master.
i4dnf
Retired

Callsign: YR-I4D
Version: GIT

Postby javajames » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:32 pm

You still need to pull simgear and flightgear from next, and fgdata from master.

Next? Forgive me for being a repo noob but, what exactly do you mean by that? Likewise with master? Any idea how to do that?
javajames

Postby islandmonkey » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:48 pm

No, just do:

bash download_and_compile.sh
islandmonkey

Callsign: G-MNKY

Postby Sealbhach » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:49 pm

It's OK, Brisa's script takes care of all that. All you have to do is download it, put it in a folder somewhere, make it executable and run it. It may take a few hours, depending on your internet connection and the speed of the server.

Link: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Scripted_Com ... ian/Ubuntu

Sealbhach

Postby javajames » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:18 pm

Ok thanks i figured out how to use branch and checkout with next from the script source!
javajames

Postby Hooray » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:46 pm

javajames wrote in Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:02 pm:Can anyone explain what i need to do to get the 2.8 release? It makes me pretty angry that windows and mac gets so much support and we don't even get a small mention of where to get the source code >.>. Surely FG doesn't want to be supporting microsofts vicious cycle of user capture?

Funny, you are the first to say that. In fact, the *nix support is much better than for Win/Mac.
You just don't seem to be familiar with git, right?
I'd suggest you take a look at the wiki, where you'll find tons of info regarding git.
Basically, you need to clone the repositories prior to being able to work with them.

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Git
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby javajames » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:29 pm

Hooray wrote in Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:46 pm:
javajames wrote in Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:02 pm:Can anyone explain what i need to do to get the 2.8 release? It makes me pretty angry that windows and mac gets so much support and we don't even get a small mention of where to get the source code >.>. Surely FG doesn't want to be supporting microsofts vicious cycle of user capture?

Funny, you are the first to say that. In fact, the *nix support is much better than for Win/Mac.
You just don't seem to be familiar with git, right?
I'd suggest you take a look at the wiki, where you'll find tons of info regarding git.
Basically, you need to clone the repositories prior to being able to work with them.

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Git

Thank you!
javajames

Postby ThorstenB » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:31 pm

javajames wrote in Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:02 pm:
git checkout -b 2.8.0 origin/release/2.8.0
for simgear and flightgear from git but i got unresolvable repo errors.

This doesn't work yet, since the 2.8.0 release branches have not been created yet. See the release plan (http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/Release_plan) for the time-line. Hint: check the "Jan/July 17th" item ;-).

cheers,
Thorsten
ThorstenB

Callsign: D-TB7
Version: GIT

Return to 2.8