Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

EDDI 2.0 Berlin-Tempelhof

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

EDDI 2.0 Berlin-Tempelhof

Postby fmg » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:09 pm

Hello,

just discovered, that Berlin-Tempelhof EDDI was airport of the month January 2012. That pleased me since it's my home-base.
So I'm glad to announce, that this airport is under further development.
In my first post here, I introduced the EDDI improvement that is in TerraSync today (http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10008#p101624).
I just made my first steps into 3D-modelling.
Now I started to replace a lot of the place-holder objects used in there with models of the real buildings. They are not finished yet and it will need some time. The pictures just shows the current state.
So please be patient, since there a lot of work ahead and I have to be busy in RL too.

ILS building 09R
view from outside
ILS glide slope station
warnings
ILS building 27L
weather station 123
weather station 104 and ballon-hangar buildings
garbage incineration
power plant
taxiway lights
gate 11

f-)
Last edited by fmg on Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fmg

Callsign: fotomas
Version: 2

Re: EDDI 2.0

Postby Gijs » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:14 pm

Nice! Those photo textures look amazing!
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Bjoern » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:10 am

Looks good!

How's the framerate?
Bjoern

Version: Next

Postby fmg » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:02 am

Bjoern wrote in Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:10 am:Looks good!

How's the framerate?

goes down to 14/15 in worst case. normally it's between 17-30. But this was the same before the objects are added. So I can see no loss at the moment. You can see it in the corner of some pictures if you click on it to enlarge.
Since the trees are not in TerraSync it should be even better the normal FG environment.
I think the fences that are already in the scenery are the major impact. If I leave them out frame rate is on 30.

But as I just have to realize, I have a relative fast machine. So I ask myself if this will also usable for people with weaker ones. Being new to 3D-modelling I wonder to which level of detail I could go without lowering the frame rate to much.
Therefore I'm thinking about to send most of the buildings in a first step in a rather generic version to the repository (like the power plant for example). This can be replaced later with a better model if it works acceptable for most users.
Or maybe there are some volunteers with slow computers, that runs some test before. But for this most of the stuff should be finished.
The least thing I want is that someone couldn't visit the Berlin airspace any more because of the airport.

f-)
fmg

Postby scighera » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:23 am

Impressive textures !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Callsign: I-SCIG
The hangar: http://digilander.libero.it/scighera_fg/index.html
The "happy motorbiker" - http://web.tiscali.it/kclub
scighera

Callsign: scighera
Version: 2dot6

Postby Sealbhach » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:03 pm

I love the last shot there, the texture looks so natural.

Sealbhach

Postby Bjoern » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:21 pm

fmg wrote in Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:02 am:So I ask myself if this will also usable for people with weaker ones.

Hardly. For me at least. I get 3 FPS in SFO and 10-12 anywhere else.
I could test EDDI when it's done and report back though.

Being new to 3D-modelling I wonder to which level of detail I could go without lowering the frame rate to much.

Personally, I can do away with e.g. individual steps on localizer buildings and 3D fenceposts.
While this might be feasible for small airfields on which you get a lot closer to everything, you won't see much detail of them on bigger airports.

Also, Flightgear (apparently?) does not have a LOD engine (yet), which would ease off a lot of the performance impact of highly detailed models.
Bjoern

Postby fmg » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:42 pm

Bjoern wrote in Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:21 pm:Hardly. For me at least. I get 3 FPS in SFO and 10-12 anywhere else.
I could test EDDI when it's done and report back though.

Hi,

there's hope on the way! I made IMHO some big improvements with a huge break-thru for the frame-rate.
For long I had the suspicion, that the fences are a major performance-killer at EDDI. Now I made new one's that look much more real (original EDDI stuff was used for it) and have nearly no impact on frame rate. With the old one's I got about 15 fps on my desktop and about 8 fps on my powerbook. With the new one's I got30 fps on both systems (Test-scenario: started with the UFO on 27L).
But there some other progress going on there. I started to replace the placeholder-buildings in the east. If you start from 09L now the step to take is about three times higher then before, like in reality. Enjoy!
I just sent a first package to the repository. Therefore I reduced the size of the mapping-files, so that performance should be even better.
Here some pictures showing the progress. I also work on the main-building. But this will take some time. Please be patient. The current state can be seen under http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=15969

ImageYou guys like photo-textures? Here is some more of it.
ImageOver the rooftops of Berlin
ImageNew fences
ImageHere you can leave your car
ImageA place for spotters
ImageNew buildings in the east
Imagewill force you to pull up
ImageSpotters view
Imagecoming home
ImageBye, bye

f-)
Last edited by fmg on Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fmg

Postby Bjoern » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:25 pm

Niiiice!
Bjoern

Postby awexome » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:32 pm

Hi,

awexome. This work loox awexome. It is simply awexome. Just awexome! :)

Well done.

awexome-ly
When one thinks, one looks up to the skies.
I inspire, think, and seek the skies ------- mijiny <aka awexome[2138]>
awexome

Callsign: SHA7
Version: GIT

Postby fmg » Sun May 27, 2012 12:00 pm

Hello again,

just want to show some of the progress EDDI, Berlin Tempelhof airport, is making. All the buildings and stuff, ecxept the main-building, has been send to the repository. On the main-building I set up the light-poles and antennas. Also corrected some details.
The file size of the building now slowly left all values that are recommended for an average scenery building. It went up to 1.2 MB at the moment. But I see no impact on the frame rate till now (between 18-34 even with MP) and I can fly almost without lagging.
No idea where this will end up and if this would be accepted. 2-3 MB maybe possible. I will try to do some testing with slower machines before I send it in. I'm planing to have this level of detail only on the airfield side of the building. At a pinch I have to make a simplified version, but as long as there's no impact I go on.
Hope you will like it...

Now there are light poles
all over the building
and some antennas on the roof (ok - hard to see. only poles on top of building. click to enlarge)
Weather station no. 123 is more complete and has been send in.
Some sporting facilities appears. Softballfield 1. Also send in.
Bye, bye.

At the moment work goes slowly but continuos. But I have to be busy in RL and I'm afraid this will become more during the next months. So maybe the progress will slow down a bit, what I don't hope. :wink:

f-)
Last edited by fmg on Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fmg

Postby ot-666 » Sun May 27, 2012 2:22 pm

Wonderful work :shock: :D
Looks just fantastic.

The file size should not be a problem as long the object count is low.
Callsign: ot-666
Working on LOWI and other stuff - Custom Scenery Overlay Repo: http://gitorious.org/fgfs-custom-scenery/custom-scenery-overlay/
VMX22 - Osprey... sometimes in 2014
ot-666

Callsign: ot-666
IRC name: ot666
Version: GIT

Postby Sealbhach » Sun May 27, 2012 7:01 pm

Brilliant work! I look forward to flying there and having a closer look.

Sealbhach

Postby islandmonkey » Sun May 27, 2012 7:07 pm

Lovely jubbly! Thinking about 850 (me and my 850 obsession...)?
islandmonkey

Callsign: G-MNKY

Postby fmg » Sun May 27, 2012 8:30 pm

Thanks for all the comments!

islandmonkey wrote in Sun May 27, 2012 7:07 pm:Lovely jubbly! Thinking about 850 (me and my 850 obsession...)?

I'm also made a 810 layout a while ago (see: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10237#p104049). There is also a ground net for it. It is on the map-server for quite a while (see: http://mapserver.flightgear.org/map/?lo ... FFFFFTFFFF , seemed to be down at the moment). But it never made it in a scenery release. Since there never was a terragear-binary for mac I don't manage to get it in FG myself. If someone can help me there I'm willing to have a try. But today I think waiting for 850 may be the better choice.
So I'm also curios about the 850 version. There is a similar detailed in X-plane. Hope we could use this, or do we have to do a new on our own? I wonder if all positions of it will match my objects-placements :roll: . Could a X-plane layout be used directly or must there be modifications?
The surrounding scenery has also to be flatten. From the weather station 123, for example, you could clearly see the airport in reality. In FG it's impossible since there is a hill in the way.
With a new layout I will hopefully be able to finally close the wall of the cemetery in the north. Momentary the taxi-way passes through it.

f-)

Last edited by fmg on Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fmg

Next

Return to Scenery