Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Link to Table of Aircraft?

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Add Aircraft Wiki to downlaod page?

Postby openflight » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:17 am

Users may want to see aircaft info such as http://wiki.flightgear.org/Cessna_208_Caravan before downloading.
openflight

Version: 1 2 2018

Re: Add Aircraft Wiki to downlaod page?

Postby openflight » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:10 am

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Aircraft

I guess I will work on populating the above page.
openflight

Link to Table of Aircraft?

Postby openflight » Fri May 04, 2012 7:10 am

Could someone please consider adding a link to 'table of aircraft' to the main page?

Under the following text would be fine:

Home > Download central >

Download Aircraft

The FlightGear base package includes only a few representative aircraft. Download more aircraft here:

Download v2.6 Aircraft
Download v2.4 Aircraft
Download v2.0 Aircraft

For more aircraft see "Table of Aircraft"

Or alternatively at the top of each aircraft download page, eg 2.6

http://www.flightgear.org/download/aircraft-v2-6/
openflight

Re: Link to Table of Aircraft?

Postby Johan G » Fri May 04, 2012 9:58 am

openflight wrote in Fri May 04, 2012 7:10 am:Could someone please consider adding a link to 'table of aircraft' to the main page?

As you are rather active on the wiki I suppose you are referring to http://wiki.flightgear.org/Table_of_models. Is that correct? :wink:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Thorsten » Fri May 04, 2012 10:50 am

Could someone please consider adding a link to 'table of aircraft' to the main page?

Stupid question - why? What information is in the table which isn't on the page?
Thorsten

Postby Johan G » Fri May 04, 2012 11:10 am

The official download page only contains the GPL licensed aircraft while the wiki page also contain other ones, like e.g. the CC-by-nc* licensed aircraft by David Culp. :wink:

*Creative Commons, attribution, non-commercial
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Postby Thorsten » Fri May 04, 2012 1:01 pm

I wouldn't consider it in general a good idea to highlight non-GPL development from the main project page. I do see the value in some cases, but admittedly not here.
Thorsten

Postby openflight » Mon May 07, 2012 1:49 am

OK, sorry for the stupid question. :roll:

What about linking the image of the aircraft on the Version 2,6 dowload page (which contains only GPLd aircraft) to the Wiki page for the aircraft so the user can see details of the plane before downloading?

:D
openflight

Postby Thorsten » Mon May 07, 2012 9:12 am

As far as I know, the download page is created automatically by information present in the aircraft's xml declaration. Unless the wiki page is given there, the info would need to be edited in by hand, which really is a bit of a job, especially since aircraft name and wiki page name may not match (for instance, the 747-400 wiki page is called 'Boeing 747-400' while the file is called '747-400-version-date'). So - who is going to spend 10 hours on doing that job?
Thorsten

Postby openflight » Tue May 08, 2012 5:22 am

OK, here is the problem. A person new to FG donloads the FG program. At some point in time he looks for additional aircraft.

He navigates to Downloads > Aircraft and arrives at the version 2.6 download page.

http://www.flightgear.org/download/aircraft-v2-6/

Don't you think it would be nice to show him what these aircraft are like in more detail?

Some suggestions:

1) Each aircraft download page has a reference at the top to 'see table of aircraft for additional aircraft, including non GPL aircraft'
2) Download page has a reference to the WIki (I cannot find a link to the wiki outside of table of aircraft)
3) Put a link to GPLed only Table of aircraft on the main page.

Help the user!
openflight

Postby Thorsten » Tue May 08, 2012 7:23 am

Don't you think it would be nice to show him what these aircraft are like in more detail?

The relevant question is not if I consider something nice or useful - I think it would be nice to have every aircraft properly rated, and a link to a properly maintained wiki documentation, and even a proper aircraft manual shipped with it and all aircraft tested to be running with a release binary.

Unfortunately, the relevant question is:

So - who is going to spend 10 hours on doing that job?
Thorsten

Postby Gijs » Tue May 08, 2012 9:02 am

The wiki supports redirects (eg "747-400" forwards to "Boeing 747-400"). So when such redirects are made for an aircraft's --aircraft= code, it would be trivial to add links to those (when they exist)...
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby openflight » Wed May 09, 2012 12:20 am

So - who is going to spend 10 hours on doing that job?

Well I would like to try. Let's discuss the requirements and the templates. :D
openflight

Postby Johan G » Wed May 09, 2012 8:01 pm

Gijs wrote in Tue May 08, 2012 9:02 am:The wiki supports redirects (eg "747-400" forwards to "Boeing 747-400"). So when such redirects are made for an aircraft's --aircraft= code, it would be trivial to add links to those (when they exist)...

Interesting idea. Probably a good one as well. :D

Thorsten wrote in Mon May 07, 2012 9:12 am:So - who is going to spend 10 hours on doing that job?

I guess that if aircraft authors was aware of that possibility the chance that they would add such a redirect page would increase. But there are also are issues like name collisions, stubs, non-existent pages and automating the process of adding (and checking) the links when creating the download page. :?

Thorsten wrote in Tue May 08, 2012 7:23 am:I think it would be nice to have every aircraft properly rated, and a link to a properly maintained wiki documentation, and even a proper aircraft manual shipped with it and all aircraft tested to be running with a release binary.

That would be the (utopic?) ideal of course. (EDIT: And I agree that it would be nice, and as well as agreeing to what I assume is an implied notion that it is not practically possible.)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Postby openflight » Thu May 10, 2012 6:09 am

We all know and love AIrcraft Wiki pages like this:

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Aerostar_700

This can be accessed from this page:

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Aircraft

So how does one get to the above page?

Can a link be added to the main page http://www.flightgear.org/ somewhere, maybe under the drop down menu "about Flight Gear" saying 'Aircraft Information" or "Aircraft Wiki"

I am willing to contribute by editing the http://wiki.flightgear.org/Aircraft page to add aircraft?

OK to proceed with the last step? Everyone think it is a good idea?

My concern is this: I have been using FG for about 5 years now, and have had to put up with invisible aircraft, aircraft that will not load, software crashes etc, due in part to limited hardware. What would have helped is the WIki page, if i was aware of it, showing the aircraft, cockpit, instruments and also a brief description of the model, with a note as to compatibility 'loads and runs in 1.1.9' etc. with version Aircraft2009012012.zip etc etc.

Making the new user aware of the fine models available and warning the user of incomplete models will serve the entire Flight Gear enterprise well, which is anyway and excellent product - realism, fast load times, low hardware requirements, reasonable size, etc etc. Let's show the world how good the FG aircraft are!
:)
openflight

Next

Return to The FlightGear project