Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Airbus A320neo (A319,A320,A321)

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Airbus A320neo (A319,A320,A321)

Postby awexome » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:12 pm

Are those IPS, XryztaLogix or miKronLED displays - looking awexome.

Now, below is an extract from the 'system.nas'.
Code: Select all
var doorl1 = aircraft.door.new("sim/model/door-positions/doorl1", 2);
var doorr1 = aircraft.door.new("sim/model/door-positions/doorr1", 2);
var armrests = aircraft.door.new("sim/model/door-positions/armrests", 2);

Is it necessary to have the defined variables when creating the door/cargo, etc. objects ranging from doorl[1..4], doorr[1..4], armrest, cargo[vars] ... (you get the idea).

These variables appear to NOT be used elsewhere (or may be my ND is set to law range). I think I ve encountered this sort of algorithm somewhere :?:

awexome.
Last edited by awexome on Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When one thinks, one looks up to the skies.
I inspire, think, and seek the skies ------- mijiny <aka awexome[2138]>
awexome

Callsign: SHA7
Version: GIT

Postby bicyus » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:39 pm

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Airbus_A320neo/Development created.

As part of the simplification of the directory tree structure, i will propose to "delete" the nasal folder and get both xml and nas files inside his corresponding system folder inside Systems folder, i mean:

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Airbus_A320neo/Development#Directory_structure

i thinks this way is a cleaner way to find things etc...
bicyus

Callsign: Bicyus
Version: 2.6

Postby Hooray » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:46 pm

bicyus wrote in Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:39 pm:i thinks this way is a cleaner way to find things etc...

Agreed, having a "Nasal" sub directory makes only sense if you want to organize things better - but as long as it's clear that every component includes just the component-related files (XML+NAS), your suggestion seems much more intuitive.

I guess, we should add your suggestion here: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Standard_aircraft_structure
So that people can adopt your style.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby awexome » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:05 pm

Hi,

I commend the idea of a re-structured tree. However, the previous structure has worked for the project for so long, and continues to be used as a consistent tree system. While this alternative system has its advantages, it is NOT ncessarily simpler than the previous (all nas in Nasal; xml in related model folders, etc), and 'may' be inconsistent with previous version of this project and the general structure of aircraft projects in FGFS.

However, of course users and developers may apply aternative file/folder structures that they fancy. Are the benfits worth the potential problems that 'will' arise? Perhaps I have missed the bigger picture. My eyes and mind remain open to that. :)

awexome
awexome

Postby Hooray » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:39 pm

I think the "old" structure is a legacy thing that people came up with because some developers were inclined to keep all sorts of files in the top level directory, rather than introducing new sub folders. So, I can see the reasoning for separate folder (textures, nasal, models, sounds etc)

But that's now become a common and standard thing, I haven't seen developers not using sub folders to help unclutter their resources in quite a while.

Personally, I find it more intuitive to have all related files in a single component-specific folder, especially if those files are only ever used by that particular component, and not shared among different components.

Let's consider omega95's VSD instrument for example: if everything is kept in a single directory, it's easy to keep track of things.

The added advantage is that components would be "self-contained", i.e. you could simply copy a whole component folder to a different aircraft, and everything needed/referenced would be automatically there - without having to resolve references. Ultimately, that would also allow people to more easily generalize stuff and move it out of aircraft-specific folders, into the "library" of aircraft resources (such as Instruments, or Instrument-3D, systems etc)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby bicyus » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:50 pm

Hooray wrote in Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:39 pm:The added advantage is that components would be "self-contained", i.e. you could simply copy a whole component folder to a different aircraft, and everything needed/referenced would be automatically there - without having to resolve references. Ultimately, that would also allow people to more easily generalize stuff and move it out of aircraft-specific folders, into the "library" of aircraft resources (such as Instruments, or Instrument-3D, systems etc)

You have describe my initial motivation, for restructuring, better than i've done! ;-)

if you go to inside models/instruments folder for example, you could see its self contained. xml-s in the instrument directory and his resources, images and stuff inside "res" folder. the intention was to make instruments easy to move between A/C especialy for Airbuses, sharing equal cockpit.

This way we could even extract and have common systems like FBW on a Airbus-Common repository. On event of updated system Just copy the newly updated system folder and add it to your A/C...

The 320, had a duplicated estructure of the folders inside XML folder. It was crazy for me to develop, having constantly to change from A320neo/Models/Instruments/... to A320neo/XMLs/Models/Instruments/...
bicyus

Postby awexome » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:54 pm

I absotively like the idea of being able to intuitively port or migrate all files related to a particular instrument. This advantage, in my humble opinion, is indeed worthy of restructuring the legacy file/folder tree. I believe that any new project, or one being upgraded, can benefit by restructuring the file/folder tree. Its been a good day :)

awexome
awexome

Postby omega95 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:44 am

Hey, I'd suggest using a new repository altogether for development files. I mean, the files which are NOT organized in the aircraft yet. For example, a place where I can keep the cockpit models and textures but are not yet worked on to get into FlightGear.

For my other git projects, I have -devel repos to keep these files. :)
Merlion Virtual Airlines - the experience of a flight time...
Get high quality aircraft, airports, video tutorials or development tools from my hangar.
omega95

Callsign: MIA0001, OM-EGA
IRC name: omega95
Version: 2.12 git

Postby awexome » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:33 pm

Hi,

I second the idea of a 'dressing-room' area in the repository. Often there are files under-development that will be nice to share and review during the development. Another advantage is that this will aid quick-spotting and resolution of small bugs during the development stage - the now stage :)

awexome-ly
awexome

Postby bicyus » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:36 pm

omega95 wrote in Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:44 am:Hey, I'd suggest using a new repository altogether for development files. I mean, the files which are NOT organized in the aircraft yet. For example, a place where I can keep the cockpit models and textures but are not yet worked on to get into FlightGear.

So what to do: a clean branch on A320neo git? or a new repository inside Scotth Airbus-aircraft project?
bicyus

Postby omega95 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:43 pm

bicyus wrote in Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:36 pm:
omega95 wrote in Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:44 am:Hey, I'd suggest using a new repository altogether for development files. I mean, the files which are NOT organized in the aircraft yet. For example, a place where I can keep the cockpit models and textures but are not yet worked on to get into FlightGear.

So what to do: a clean branch on A320neo git? or a new repository inside Scotth Airbus-aircraft project?

For a new repo inside the Airbus-Aircraft project, we'd have to ask scott.. And then again, the airbus-aircraft repo is best left for the actual aircraft repos to make it easier for users. But then if we have a separate project, it'd be away from the actual repo. If that's not a problem, can we use this project repo?

FlightGear Airbus Development > airbus-a320neo-devel : https://gitorious.org/flightgear-airbus-development/airbus-a320neo-devel
I'll push all my model files (what's there so far) in a minute. :)

FlightDeck Development files in the flightdeck branch - I'll let you know when the cockpit's ready to be put into the aircraft and animated. Atm, I'd suggest no one does any xml work as I WILL be moving around the objects a lot to finish off and fit the flightdeck into the aircraft. :wink:
Get high quality aircraft, airports, video tutorials or development tools from my hangar.
omega95

Postby bicyus » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:15 pm

Omega95, right but i think it will be better directly on scotth Airbus-aircraft project.

right for now, but i would move it, when new repo on Scoth Airbus-aircraft project is ready.

Also, notify us, when 3d cockpit model is ready, so we could all help on xml stuff ;-)
bicyus

Postby omega95 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:34 am

Still have to put in the screws and make the levers... and ofcourse paint the texture quadrant. (I took it away for this pic so you can see the other end of the pedestal too) :)
omega95

Postby omega95 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:36 am

Aaand, there we go.. most of the new flightdeck model is complete... I still have to play around with the rest of the shell, the windshield doors and the overhead panel though, but I expect to get everything ready for xml in 2 to 3 days. :)
omega95

Postby bicyus » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:52 am

cool! ;-)

i will propose, if you are doing rest of the cocpit to model the cockpit Door, to be able to open it. ;-)

P.D: i'm on IRC
bicyus

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft