Board index FlightGear Development New features

Breakpad open source crash reporter

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Breakpad open source crash reporter

Postby saturn5 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:38 pm

I noticed the open source crash reporting software Breakpad being worked on by Mozilla/Google. I am wondering if this is something could be used to aid FlightGear development.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Breakpad

http://code.google.com/p/google-breakpad/
saturn5

Re: Breakpad open source crash reporter

Postby DGMurdockIII » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:25 pm

yeah that be great
DGMurdockIII

Postby Natovr » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:09 am

i agree, sometimes FG just crashes for no reason.

But I think this is already being tried out in CVS, where a dump file is made of Flightgear crashes, then you can send it to a developer. Not very useful though, whenever I exit CVS, it thinks it crashed :/
Callsign: ZS-NVR (mil/priv)IVA-003 (com)
Part of Island Virtual Airways, one of Flightgear's
Natovr

Postby saturn5 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:01 pm

Yes, I have a problem with it crashing also. Typically 1.0 will crash 5-30 minutes after running, which has impeded my use of FG. I have not yet tried out the latest CVS to see the latest crash reporter though. However, breakpad is really new- I only know of it being used by mozilla.
saturn5

Postby Natovr » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:45 pm

That's strange.. i can leave FG running for a few hours on AP and come back... and it would still be running o.O
Natovr

Postby saturn5 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:15 pm

Natovr wrote:That's strange.. i can leave FG running for a few hours on AP and come back... and it would still be running o.O

It is strange, but also an unlucky choice in hardware. As far as I have been able figure, it mainly has do with a common set of problems with ATI and opengl, not FG. That is ATI's fault, and not so useful for FG development, I am thinking of the more run of the mill errors for this breakpad reporting.

What caught my attention is that it could make it easier to report and see crashes. There is a Socorro web server software connected to breakpad development.

For instance, if somone releases a new model, all the errors people have with it could be reported to the server, then they could go and look see how stable it is. Then it would be easier to see if it is a problem with FG, or the new model. So a model developer could log on and see just the crashes that happen with the new aircraft (or a new FDM, etc.).

Here is some more about breakpad; down at the bottom it show the thing for looking at crash reports.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Breakpad
saturn5

Postby Natovr » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:11 pm

I use ATI, but it's not a card.. it's a chip. It's rather new too i think. I heard ATI is now testing it's cards on FG.
Natovr

Return to New features