Board index FlightGear Support Tools FGRun

Easy Install for Linux?

FGRun is a no-longer maintained graphical frontend to run FlightGear.

Easy Install for Linux?

Postby Sanocon » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:35 pm

so i got the FGrun flie, but on reading the installation instructions, it seems like there is no automatic installer. now i have been with Linux for less than half a year and i have no knowledge on compiling a program. (if I'm using the right term) so is there an automatic installer?
Sanocon

Re: Easy Install for Linux?

Postby polly » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:48 pm

This page:
http://www.flightgear.org/download/main-program/
lists installable packages for various Linux disributions.
polly

Postby Sanocon » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:22 am

polly wrote in Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:48 pm:This page:
http://www.flightgear.org/download/main-program/
lists installable packages for various Linux disributions.

that is only for the main program, as far as i could see, FGRun is not on that list. (since it counts as an addon)
Sanocon

Postby polly » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:34 am

I'm sorry, I misunderstood. I've not used fgrun, the wiki says it's distributed with binaries and I can see it listed in my package installer (yumex for my distro)so it might depend on which distribution of Linux you're using. You could try querying your package installer, the same way you'd download any other package for your system.
polly

Postby theoldfellow » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:18 am

Which distribution of Linux are you using? The regular application installer for Ubuntu and Mint has FGrun in, just use the Software Installer. I suspect Fedora and Suse have it too.
The problem is that there are too many distros, so people who write the software don't tend to give you blow-by-blow instructions. Always try the regular installer first. If that fails come back and ask again.
R.
theoldfellow

Postby Sanocon » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:11 pm

theoldfellow wrote in Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:18 am:Which distribution of Linux are you using? The regular application installer for Ubuntu and Mint has FGrun in, just use the Software Installer. I suspect Fedora and Suse have it too.
The problem is that there are too many distros, so people who write the software don't tend to give you blow-by-blow instructions. Always try the regular installer first. If that fails come back and ask again.
R.

odd because i have Linux mint... but it's not on the package list. but if I'm hearing you correctly there is an installer? when i read the instruction manual for FGrun, it told me i had to compile the program....
Sanocon

Postby praveen_nair » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:44 am

Me too have the same issue. But using Ubuntu 11.10. I too cannot find FGRun package anywhere... Appreciate anyone could help with URLs and steps to successfully installing FlightGear 2.6. Needless to say I am aslo struck on Windows 7 with 2.6. On the same machine 2.4 was workiing great and did a uninstall (fresh install as recommended by most here) and then I lost the working one and now without FlightGear on Windows 7. Now I installed a Ubuntu and trying to get my FlightGear working on atleast one of the platform. I read most of the documents and could not find the solutions yet.

Please help to install FGRun with FlightGear 2.6 on Ubuntu 11.10
praveen_nair

Postby praveen_nair » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:32 pm

I figured this myself with lot of searches in this forum. The "downlad_and_install_script.sh" from Brasia did the trick. But that too was not straight forward and I had to deal with lot of errors and ultimately the configure and auto scripts. Once I could fix them I were able to get it working. Thanks
praveen_nair

Postby Bjoern » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:22 pm

It would be helpful to others having the same problem if you elaborated a bit. (Or by attaching your scripts or so.) :wink:
Bjoern

Version: Next

Postby praveen_nair » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:56 pm

I am so sorry - I though everyone in this forum know about this. Here is the FlightGear page with complete instructions and and link to download the actual script : http://wiki.flightgear.org/Scripted_Com ... ian/Ubuntu

Hope this helps.
praveen_nair

Postby Bjoern » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:37 pm

I was more referring to fixing the config and auto scripts, but fair enough.
Bjoern

Version: Next

Return to FGRun