Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

fgphotoscenery

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: fgphotoscenery

Postby fgphotoscenery » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:11 am

This would be great.
A working geodinfo() call would be the tell-tale

Can I check that from within flightgear (Debug menu?) or do I have to add the call to the code? If so: where?
fgphotoscenery

Postby Thorsten » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:16 am

If you type

Code: Select all
debug.dump(geodinfo(getprop("position/latitude-deg"), getprop("position/longitude-deg")));

into the Nasal console and execute this, it should write all the terrain info to the console. If that contains a list of landclasses, then we are fine.
Thorsten

Postby fgphotoscenery » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:24 am

OK, thanks a lot Thorsten! I'll do the check as soon as possible (not before 21UT) and let you know.
fgphotoscenery

Postby fgphotoscenery » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:43 pm

Good news: the landclass is still there.
Code: Select all
names: ['BuiltUpCover', 'Urban', 'Construction', 'Industrial', 'Port']
names: ['ShrubCover', 'ShrubGrassCover', 'ScrubCover', 'Scrub', 'Sclerophyllous']
fgphotoscenery

Postby Thorsten » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:45 pm

Great ;-)
Thorsten

Postby Hooray » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:49 pm

fgphotoscenery wrote in Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:59 am:Hooray, this is a great idea. I'll have a look into this.

Feel free to get in touch with me if you need any help. I think it'd be a great thing to see your code in the FG repository, so I am interested in helping you, even if that should just mean helping you with git or gitorious.

For more in-depth discussion of your patches you might want to refer to the FG devel mailing list however.
In general, patch discussions take place in the merge requests themselves.
Another opportunity is using the issue tracker and filing a patch there: http://code.google.com/p/flightgear-bug ... %20request

Using this website, you can file a "Patch review request" - that should get you some attention.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby fgphotoscenery » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:58 pm

@Thorsten. Actually I just had switched the vegetation off to increase the frame rate. The trees and houses do show up nicely above the photo scenery.
fgphotoscenery

Postby fgphotoscenery » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:02 pm

@Hooray, this is all "gold" help. Thanks a lot! I'll not hesitate to send you a PM if I run into trouble.
fgphotoscenery

Postby helijah » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:22 pm

Hi

I am pleased that the work of Benedict is finally recognized. I sent it to Tim Moore long ago. But nothing came on GIT. Yet the system is really flexible.

Regards. Emmanuel
Some planes (and other) for FlightGear
http://helijah.free.fr
and
http://embaranger.free.fr
helijah

Callsign: helijah
IRC name: helijah
Version: GIT

Postby nacho » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:14 am

I tried getting the code to work, but didn't have any luck with it. I got stuck at the patching phase and started to wonder: Why do we need a patched version of FG in order to add photo realistic scenery? What is preventing this change from being added to the master branch and compiled as part of the regular program, and having some sort of switch to select or not its use?

Sorry for the dumb question but I felt that I had to ask the question. :-)

Thanks
nacho

Version: 2.8

Postby Hooray » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:30 pm

nacho wrote in Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:14 am:What is preventing this change from being added to the master branch and compiled as part of the regular program, and having some sort of switch to select or not its use?

We already talked about merging this code: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15174#p149798
As far as I understand, there's work going on to merge this with the main repository - this includes some cleanups and other changes and may take a while.

On the other hand, Fred's "Rembrandt" (deferred rendering) project is currently being integrated into mainline. As far as I know, this patch also touches some shader code - so, it would make sense to coordinate work and ensure that there are no conflicts being introduced.

For the time being, it might be a good idea to make the changes optional by adding them to the cmake build system, so that they are by default excluded from being built: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Developing_using_CMake
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby fgphotoscenery » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:03 pm

Hi nacho,

where are you stuck with the code and patch? Could you compile the code from source and run it?

It would be definitely be great to have Benoit's patch code in FG. As Hooray says: if it is not possible to have it available per default, then a switch would be great, too. I'll contact the FG developers and see what they say.

Peter
fgphotoscenery

Postby nacho » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:56 am

I have no problem compiling from source ( I use the download_and_compile.sh script under Ubuntu).

The problem is that the row numbers for the patch command are not the same, thus I need to perform the changes by hand. I tried twice and get an error in the compilation.

I will look for some time these days and give you the detail of the error message.

Thanks,
IB
nacho

Postby fgphotoscenery » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:33 pm

Hi nacho,

yes, you are right, the line numbers have changed quite a bit since the patch for the 2.6. Thanks for reporting!

I have now compiled FG again from scratch (the 2.7 version) using Geoff's makefg (with FGRUNNO as fgrun has recently changed to cmake but that's not yet in the makefg script), added the patches by hand and recompiled everything (makefg-1.3.8 NOPAUSE FGRUNNO). After some handicraft, the photoscenery code worked again, and this time I have extracted the files that need change and put them into a zip file here. Could you try to use those files instead of patching? If you use makefg, you just have to unzip the file in the main FG directory. If it works, I will modify the installation instructions on the webpage.

Cheers,

Peter

PS: The files should also work when using the download_and_compile.sh script but when I tried, I could not manage to get the modified code compiled into the executable.
fgphotoscenery

Postby nacho » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:58 pm

1. downloaded zip file and extracted files into each component:

./simgear/simgear/...
./install/fgfs/fgdata/..

Run the following command to recompile simgear

sh download_and_compile.sh -a n -r y -u SIMGEAR

and the same with FGFS

sh download_and_compile.sh -a n -r y -u FGFS

There were no apparent errors on the compilation.

2. Copy the two dds files into the fgdata/Scenery directory path.
3. Run fgfs with the UFO and altitute coordinates that you mention in your website and see the Goldgen Gate, but no new terrain. Only the regular patterns.

There are no errors in the command line.

Any ideas? Might be the same issue that you experiened on recompiling the executables?

IB
nacho

PreviousNext

Return to Scenery