Board index FlightGear Development Effects and shaders

Sunrises (version 1.3 available)

An exciting "new" option in FlightGear, that includes reflections, lightmaps, the particle system etc.. A lot is yet to be discovered/implemented!

Re: Sunrises (version 1.1 available)

Postby sgofferj » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:56 am

Ok, here we go.

The 2.6 renderings settings dialog here set /sim/rendering/shaders/skydome for skydome scattering.
My preferences.xml has as first line after the <Propertylist> <local-weather include="Environment/local-weather-defaults.xml"/>. That's it.

Setting /environment/terminator-relative-position-m manually does have an effect. Setting it e.g. to 3M creates a nice noon sky as you said.

It seems, there might me some bugs in the 2.6 release, like the missing integration or the local weather rules?
FG 3.1 GIT / Opensuse 12.3 / Phenom II X4 / GForce GTX560
Stefan's little Flightgear corner | The Finnish Weather Center | Wolves in Finland

Working on: EFTP
COM: IAX2:home.gofferje.net/stefan (MO-FR 0700-2000 UTC, SA+SU 0900-2000 UTC)
sgofferj

Callsign: OH-SW
Version: 3.1 GIT

Postby Thorsten » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:07 am

Its probably not a bug because the state of 2.6 is consistent and the property rule is not active because it came later than the feature freeze - it just means it has to be either 1.0 or at least one file has to be edited manually.

You should have

Code: Select all
<property-rule>
            <name>Environment METAR Interpolation Rule</name>
            <path>Environment/metarinterpolator.xml</path>
         </property-rule>

in your preferences.xml - try inserting this

<property-rule>
            <name>Local Weather Rules </name>
            <path>Environment/local-weather-rules.xml</path>
         </property-rule>

just below by hand. If that doesn't work, then you're probably stuck with 1.0.
Thorsten

Postby sgofferj » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:31 am

With this and setting /sim/rendering/scattering-shader to true in my mypreferences.xml it works, BUT when I start I have no weather and no scattering. I have to go to the local weather dialog and click "OK", then the sky changes and I get clouds.
Stefan's little Flightgear corner | The Finnish Weather Center | Wolves in Finland

sgofferj

Postby Thorsten » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:37 am

With this and setting /sim/rendering/scattering-shader to true in my mypreferences.xml it works, BUT when I start I have no weather and no scattering. I have to go to the local weather dialog and click "OK", then the sky changes and I get clouds.

Yes, that's normal, I have the same issue. The solution is that when integrating the shaders into the FG structure, someone must take care that global weather also provides the relevant parameters to the shaders (although in some cases I have no clue how they'd come from). The lightfield stuff relies quite a bit on my model of atmosphere light propagation which simply isn't there is global weather.

Can we use your preferences.xml for download for 2.6 users? It should be based on a pristine 2.6 installation, whereas mine probably isn't, so then I could package the working stuff into a 1.1 release for 2.6.
Thorsten

Postby sgofferj » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:00 pm

To be clear: I have local weather activated. I still have to go to the dialog and click OK once on startup.

I didn't use my preferences.xml. As I use the OSBS repo for Flightgear with automatic update, it would kill all changes on every update. I have a ~/.fgfs/mypreferences.xml where I have all my changes and which I include with the --config option. That could be a very clean way, btw. to integrate your stuff because you could put it in your package and instruct the user just to add --config=localweather.xml to the commandline.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<PropertyList>
   <sim>
      <rendering>
         <scattering-shader type="bool">true</scattering-shader>
      </rendering>
      <systems>
         <property-rule>
            <name>Local Weather Rules </name>
            <path>Environment/local-weather-rules.xml</path>
         </property-rule>
           </systems>
   </sim>
</PropertyList>

sgofferj

Postby Thorsten » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:20 pm

To be clear: I have local weather activated. I still have to go to the dialog and click OK once on startup.

You may have the Nasal modules loaded, but it's inactive until you open the dialog and press OK, from that point on it's up and running. This works different from global weather.
Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:22 pm

That could be a very clean way, btw. to integrate your stuff because you could put it in your package and instruct the user just to add --config=localweather.xml to the commandline.

Apart from the tiny fact that the package changes a lot of other functionality which is not in the form of xml properties... :D
Thorsten

Postby sgofferj » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:26 pm

Hmja, ok :D.

Still interesting, that I don't have ANY weather, i.e. no clouds at all...

sgofferj

Postby sgofferj » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:38 pm

Found it. Activating the local weather rules seem to break the METAR interpreter.

sgofferj

Postby sgofferj » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:19 pm

I got 1.1 running completely, including the cloud shaders.
The main problem is, that you MUST put the property rule in preferences.xml. If you put it in another file that is included via --config, it breaks all other property-rule definitions in preferences.xml. I suppose, that is a bug. If you put everything in preferences.xml (or in my case just define all property-rules in mypreferences.xml), 1.1 works completely.

sgofferj

Postby Gijs » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:08 pm

As of 2.6.0 all shader props are under sim/rendering/shaders. The skydome prop changed to sim/rendering/shaders/skydome. It may work for you because the old prop was saved in autosave.xml, but for others the prop is just missing ;)
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby sgofferj » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:53 pm

Found another issue... 1.0 as well as 1.1 seem to interact badly with the model-shader. With some aircraft you get a dark red or black reflection at noon.

sgofferj

Postby i4dnf » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:54 pm

That's due to the fact that the model-default.eff included with this package, conflicts with the version in 2.6.0 on which the model-shader and other model related shaders rely. That's why Thorsten recommends you to turn off all other shaders.
Thorsten wrote:* skydome scattering shader -> on
* all other special shaders (water, urban, terrain, landmass, transition) -> off
* random vegetation -> off
* Advanced Weather -> on

What you get there is a failed model-shader. If you check the terminal you'll see it full of GLSL errors.
i4dnf
Retired

Callsign: YR-I4D
Version: GIT

Postby Thorsten » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:41 pm

As of 2.6.0 all shader props are under sim/rendering/shaders. The skydome prop changed to sim/rendering/shaders/skydome. It may work for you because the old prop was saved in autosave.xml, but for others the prop is just missing

I seriously have to be told these things... not sure how to 'fix' it, since the package as such requires the skydome shader always on and having a checkbox to switch it doesn't make any sense at this point anyway.
Thorsten

Postby Gijs » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:50 pm

AFAIK the skydome always had a checkbox (only the prop changed recently). Cannot you add a line of code to one of the Nasal's to switch the skydome on (whenever it is disabled)?
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

PreviousNext

Return to Effects and shaders