Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

New Boeing 787-8 GIT

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: New Boeing 787-8 GIT

Postby omega95 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:47 pm

Hooray wrote in Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:45 pm:Skyop's CRJ might also be worth looking into...

I did some time ago.. His VNAV doesn't really control the plane...
Merlion Virtual Airlines - the experience of a flight time...
Get high quality aircraft, airports, video tutorials or development tools from my hangar.
omega95

Callsign: MIA0001, OM-EGA
IRC name: omega95
Version: 2.12 git

Postby Hooray » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:03 pm

omega95 wrote in Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:47 pm:I did some time ago.. His VNAV doesn't really control the plane...

Ya, I know: it's called "Advisory VNAV" - i.e. like a VOR's CDI, just displaying vertical offset information, instead of lateral.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby AJC » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:37 am

Hello Omega,

I must say, having only just started the a/c up, i am very impressed with the CDU and modelling! The APU sounds are also proving very nice and just started the engines and that is the best low rumble startup possibly ever, perhaps extend it a little? However, I do have one or two little niggles:

The Bank limit and the CDU controls are on the AP panel, as are some TCAS settings and other random settings on the extreme left of the Panel. I assume that these are only here because you did not make your own AP panel or do these still need setting?
Some buttons on the OH panel are not wired yet. Admittedly i do not need a Cargo fire or temp. setting, but window anti-ice could be quite nice.
It would also be quite nice, but again not sure if realistic, if the Flap setting was displayed as a number with the flap diagram as well.
The holo (?) instrument, sorry i dont know the name, is black or orange for me so i cannot see through it.
In flight, all seems good, not yet tried a landing. The throttle keeps dropping back, I assume this is due to speed limits and the 250 below 100?
And finally I seem to nose down by about -1 despite climbing at 2200 feet per minute. Realistic again or something?

Otherwise, a really nice aircraft with plenty of potential, really looking forward to the next update!

Best regards,

Andy
ATC_AJC
DH-1748
TSA004
Proud member of Tristar Airlines, the leading airline in connecting the Caribbean...
AJC

Callsign: TSA004

Postby omega95 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:31 am

The Bank limit and the CDU controls are on the AP panel, as are some TCAS settings and other random settings on the extreme left of the Panel. I assume that these are only here because you did not make your own AP panel or do these still need setting?

You're right, the AP panel has been taken directly out of the old 787 and has not been remodelled. The MFD config there is not even supposed to exist. I'll work on that later. Btw, you can control all of those things from the CDU, where it's supposed to be. The AP panel just needs some cleaning up. EDIT : I added some things about this below...

Some buttons on the OH panel are not wired yet. Admittedly i do not need a Cargo fire or temp. setting, but window anti-ice could be quite nice.

The top part isn't really necessary, like cargo fire and temp. Window heating already exists, haven't you taken a look at the MFD HEAT page? Try starting up in LOWI or Alaska or something, watch the ice on the windows. Hit the Window heating switches to get rid of them. (Note that the changes are gradual and slow)

It would also be quite nice, but again not sure if realistic, if the Flap setting was displayed as a number with the flap diagram as well.

I don't think it's supposed to do that. :|

The holo (?) instrument, sorry i dont know the name, is black or orange for me so i cannot see through it.

holo WHAT!? :shock:

In flight, all seems good, not yet tried a landing. The throttle keeps dropping back, I assume this is due to speed limits and the 250 below 100?

The fly-by-wire's doing that, you're not supposed be over 250 KIAS under FL100

And finally I seem to nose down by about -1 despite climbing at 2200 feet per minute. Realistic again or something?

You might either be going too fast or you have your flaps down. Dwayne and I have done a LOT of tests with the lift stuff and we don't see any problems with it.

Otherwise, a really nice aircraft with plenty of potential, really looking forward to the next update!

I hope you realize that there has been NO "RELEASE"... And the plane's being updated almost 3 or 4 times every day. :P

EDIT : About the Mode Control Panel (it's NOT called the Autopilot Panel)

I've taken out the things that aren't supposed to be there and the remaining fit much better now.

The Radar Control Panels on both ends of the MCP are supposed to be there but then we don't have a wxradar (yet), The Knobs with numbers from 10 to 640 is to control the range on the fullscreen ND but it's not animated yet as I jsut found that out (you can change the range with zoom in and out buttons on the ND now).

About the other switches, I don't really know what they're supposed to do. If you have some time (which you probably do if you can test the "devel" version of the 787), it'd be awesome if you can get some sources on what those instruments do. And if you want to contribute yourself, it's on git, so feel free.
Get high quality aircraft, airports, video tutorials or development tools from my hangar.
omega95

Postby Hooray » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:38 pm

holo WHAT!?

I assume, he is referring to the HUD/HUGS (?)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby omega95 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:06 pm

Hooray wrote in Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:38 pm:I assume, he is referring to the HUD/HUGS (?)

Right, he told me on facebook he meant the HUD, but I'm still trying to figure out why he can't see it. :|
omega95

Postby redneck » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:27 am

Expect an improved AP for the 787-8 sometime in the near future. Features will include re-tuned pid controllers for more precise route following (no more overshooting your heading to some extreme), better NAV1 HOLD, better VNAV, and better ALT HOLD, which was in desperate need of fixing after the latest FDM fix. So far, everything, except the ALT HOLD, is confirmed fixed/improved. If I can get the ALT HOLD to NOT overshoot the target by at least 50 ft, I'll be very happy. It means, it will work MUCH, MUCH better with FGFSCopilot. FGFSCopilot has gotten it back on the ground safely, with a little help from manual throttle control (it likes to get in ground effect and stay there when at final approach power). I hope to have everything figured out some time tomorrow morning (or 10-12 hours from now).
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby ormaaj » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:19 am

Usually there's a dial to switch to some kind of HSI-like display. Looks like the only instrument with a CDI on it at the moment is on the HUD. That must be what the function of one of those is.
ormaaj

Postby omega95 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:22 am

You have a Heading Bug and Waypoints Display in the NAV mode of any of the MFDs. If it's not that, what're you actually talking about? :|
omega95

Postby ormaaj » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:43 am

Yes. I'm talking about for instance the sort of redundant ILS display mode on the navigation panel on many of the other Boeing models (and a couple other display options). No idea if there's supposed to be something analogous here.
ormaaj

Postby omega95 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:46 am

Can you post a screen shot of it so I know what you're talking about? :oops:
omega95

Postby ormaaj » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:05 am

Sure! (not a pilot, I know almost nothing.) :mrgreen:

I think SP-WKA's 777-300ER is pretty representative of most model's EFIS. No idea which is most true to life because they're all different, but they do all have the cluster of dials above the MFD that do approximately the same thing. I figured this is what you meant by "knobs at the ends of the MCP".

Here's with the dial on the left set to "APP", and after pressing the "CTR" button, tuned to 25R at KLAX flying high and to the right. There's a course deviation bar that mirrors the the localizer indicator on the PFD, and another glideslope indicator when NAV1 is tuned to an ILS frequency.

And here's the very same after turning the dial to "VOR" and tuning to Santa Monica VOR-DME which is way off to our right (without adjusting the radial).

And this is same as above after pressing "CTR" again, which brings us back to a mode with the aircraft at the bottom of the display that looks more like this plane's display.

Obviously the 787's avionics look much different so this could be a total non-concept here. Just noticing that the other Boeing models are similarish.
ormaaj

Postby omega95 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:11 am

Hmm, I can't find a mention of a Course Deviation Indicator on Google for the Boeing 787... But then if you have noticed, teh whole ND is different in the 787. I'm still not sure if it's supposed to be there or not. It's there in the 777 and 747 as far as I know. If I can sources of it being there, I'll put it in. :wink:
omega95

Postby Hooray » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:51 am

There's a conceptual difference here between the different modes: A HSI is pretty much like a VOR, with an automatically aligned heading - OTOH, a RMI will NOT show a CDI, but instead show the bearing to the station directly - i.e. on the rose. So, it should depend on the ND mode being active.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby jentron » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:55 pm

I noticed yesterday that there are many stereo wav files in the 787-8. fgfs 2.7 no longer loads stereo files... I did a quick batch conversion using sox...

Code: Select all
cd 787-8/Sounds
mkdir stereo
for a in *wav;do b=`file $a`;if [ `echo $b | grep -c stereo` -gt "0" ] ; then mv $a stereo/$a;fi;done
for a in stereo/*;do b=`basename $a`; echo sox $a -c 1 $b;done

Also, FlightDeck/flightdeck.ac and Instruments/cdu.ac contain texture references with full paths. That isn't supported anymore, either.

Ron
Aircraft: F-4E, Cessna 182RG, Fi-156 Storch, Diamond DA20 Katana and Eclipse, Ercoupe, LZ-129, Gossamer Albatross
Airports: CYKF, CNC4, KHIF, 42U, KOXB, 4MD1
jentron

Version: custom

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft