Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Ideal FlightGear wiki aircraft info page

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Ideal FlightGear wiki aircraft info page

Postby openflight » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:36 am

Except for lack of version number, this is nice - image of cockpit with instruments and v speeds.

Wish every aircraft had this

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Aerostar_700
openflight

Version: 1 2 2018

Re: Ideal Flight Gear Aircraft Info page

Postby Johan G » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:27 am

It would probably be a good idea to add the version number and a cockpit image to the aircraft infobox template.

Added the suggestion on the template's talk page.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Re: Ideal FlightGear wiki aircraft info page

Postby Gijs » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:43 pm

Version number is already supported by the template, just add
Code: Select all
|version =

For cockpit images, the problem isn't the template, it's the number of users willing to take&share pictures on the wiki...
OpenFlight, maybe you want to contribute? There's a list of (aircraft) articles that have no images at all (!) at http://wiki.flightgear.org/Category:Image_requested
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Johan G » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:44 pm

Gijs wrote in Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:43 pm:Version number is already supported by the template, just add
|version =

I should have seen that... :roll:

Gijs wrote in Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:43 pm:There's a list of (aircraft) articles that have no images at all (!) at http://wiki.flightgear.org/Category:Image_requested

I'll think I put that up on my to do when bored list... :wink: :)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Postby Hooray » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:57 pm

openflight wrote in Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:36 am:Except for lack of version number, this is nice - image of cockpit with instruments and v speeds.

Wish every aircraft had this

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Aerostar_700

It would probably be a good idea to add such recommendations to the wiki, so that aircraft developers know about such "best practices".
There is a somewhat outdated attempt at documenting the best practices here: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Standard_aircraft_structure

This may need some updating and cleanup, but otherwise it seems to be a good starting point to document best practices ("suggestions") for aircraft developers?

Once the article has been updated accordingly, we should add a link here: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:_Make_an_aircraft
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby jomo » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:22 am

When this is discussed in general, I have 2 suggestions:
1) Seems to me there are really 2 independent places available for the basic data about the models:
-- on the download-page http://www.flightgear.org/download/aircraft-v2-4/ (is that done by the designer - or who?)
-- inside a description of that model, uniquely done by the author - by including the blank template
both usually are different - (I guess mostly because from wiki you have no access to the download page)

How about having a central stock for all aircrafts with the filled in "template data" only - and link that one wherever needed (definitely on download page and description) -- and make it available to be edited by normal wiki-techniques! The designer should fill in first date - which might be extended by users!

2) add to that central description:
a) a link to the description (if available) - that may be a good hint for people searching -- because that maybe be a better classification than "dev" "prod" "early" etc etc -- if somebody tries to explain it to others, that model must be already something worse it!

b) Add the Stall-Speed to that or even e.g.: cruise/stall = 250/120 kn (needs only a rough one, not per gallon of fuel and or payload!)
mostly I notice that "beginners" do not have an idea about the Touch-Down / Stall speed - I am getting crazy when people tell me "that is a F16 - I have to land above 250 kn"! That also would be some kind of an indication what airport can be used: large medium small!

I would not expect a complete record within a couple of days - but with wiki-users that might build up over month/years !?!
jomo / ATCjomo + EDDFjo + EDDFjo1 + EDDFjo2
ATC at EDDF Fr,Sa,Su,We from 20:00 to 24:00 CET/MEZ., see http://www.emmerich-j.de
jomo

Callsign: jomo EDDFjo1+2

Postby Johan G » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:02 pm

Good points. :D

As for myself, I have been looking specifically for stall and cruise speed on the FlightGear Wiki several times, often unsuccessfully. :|
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Postby Thorsten » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:08 am

"that is a F16 - I have to land above 250 kn"

The F-16 shouldn't extend gear at airspeed above 250 kt. It'd be difficult to land then...

Like many fighter jets, you don't land the F-16 at fixed airspeed, you land at fixed AOA, which makes the actual airspeed during final dependent on the remaining weight of the aircraft. Use the AOA indexer to the left of the HUD rather than the airspeed gauge.

It would be good to have such bits of info more widely available, and the Wiki isn't a bad place for that. Most of us do not own fighter jet manuals...
Thorsten

Postby Figaro » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:31 am

Thorsten wrote in Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:08 am:... Most of us do not own fighter jet manuals...

aaand thats because few of us own fighter jets ;) :lol:

Cheers,
Figaro

Callsign: 4L-FIG

Postby PH-JBO » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:06 am

PH-JBO

Postby Hooray » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:29 pm

Once we can agree on a set of of required details for aircraft pages, it might be a good idea to create a new template so that future aircraft pages can be based on it, and existing ones ported step by step.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby openflight » Tue May 21, 2019 4:37 am

I have re-started editing the WIki pages for aircraft, and I have got a few helpful comments, which I will attempt to follow.

As a base template I suggest we use the PA32 Wiki template to base comments on.

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Piper_PA-32

What is the purpose of this Wiki update? I think it will help in the following areas:

1. To obtain information about aircraft before downloading - see the state of the model, panel and problems with the model.
2. Information for those who want to improve an aircraft in Flight Gear
3. Information about flying the aircraft - v speeds, with links to reference manuals available freely on the internet.
4. Information about downloading the aircraft and information about different versions of the aircraft

Is there anything else?
openflight

Postby openflight » Tue May 21, 2019 4:44 am

I will proceed using the following template (in addition to what is on the PA 32 page)

Where to download
    Versions
    V speeds
    Description of a test flight, climb rates,stall speeds, autopilot, turns, landing. Handling turbulence, navigation.
    Comments on accuracy of model with reference to actual v speeds and accounts
    Image Gallery including cockpit and panel images.
    Reference to article and manuals
    Public domain images of the actual aircraft
    Improvements suggested and bugs to be corrected.

Links to tutorials and how to use a flight simulator to learn about flying a real aircraft - with comments from pilots.
I know many pilots started out on flight simulators, found them useful, others simply learned careless habits and never got to become pilots.
openflight

Postby bugman » Tue May 21, 2019 10:34 am

Your reviews are quite useful as well. For the reader of the article, I would suggest placing the review below the aircraft information in its own == Review == section, and to use [wiki] Template:Date prior to the start of the review text. The date stamp will allow the reader to check if the review matches the current aircraft. This is useful as your contributions will be read by FlightGear users in 10 years, 20 years, or beyond.

If you feel ambitious, you could even place your review text in a wiki subpage. So in http://wiki.flightgear.org/Piper_PA-32, for example, you could structure the main article as:

{{:{{PAGENAME}}/info}}

== Introduction==
[text]

== Review ==
{{:{{PAGENAME}}/review}}

== V Speeds ==
[info]

== Gallery ==
{{Gallery...}}

Then you create the subpage http://wiki.flightgear.org/Piper_PA-32/review with the structure:

{{date|2016|10|16}}

=== The Model ===
[text]

=== Interior ===
[text]

=== Flying ===
[text]

=== Improvements needed ===
[text]

<div style="text-align: right; width: 300px">{{navbar|:{{#titleparts: {{PAGENAME}} | | {{{navbarlevel|-1}}}}}/review|mini=1}}</div>

Note the different heading levels (== vs. ===). A signature or name attached to the review text is not necessary, as that is clearly visible in the history (especially when the review is encapsulated in a subpage). Eventually a template for standardising the review subpage could be created (that would contain the date, text, and navbar elements).

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby wlbragg » Tue May 21, 2019 4:10 pm

This is the first I realized that the aircraft wiki articles don't just magically appear, shame. I guess I have to add the DaSH and SUMPAC if they are to be included?
I noticed what looked like it might be an auto generated "new aircraft" block for the SUMPAC in the April Newsletter. It would be nice if the wiki aircraft section could create such a framework and a developer could fill in the rest.
Reason being for someone like me, I have little experience in editing the wiki and it is excruciatingly painful to have to take the time to not only gather and add the data but learn the wiki editing and formating part as well. Also by being a rank a amateur, and after being in the newspaper publishing industry for many years and very picky about formatting pages, it hurts to know your, at best, doing a crappy job with the formatting due to lack of knowledge about the system.
These may all sound like excuses, but I actually never felt comfortable editing or adding to the wiki and don't want to take the time to learn how to do it proficiently. For one, I will forget if I don't continue to do it all the time and not doing it all the time makes it slow and cumbersome.
Volunteer based communities can be painful in many ways. Lack of "cross training" is one of them.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Next

Return to The FlightGear project