Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Request for low-poly models

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Request for low-poly models

Postby someguy » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:40 am

In my quest for better frame rates, I have a request. Two, actually: Could Heiko and Pavel please make low-poly models of their EC135 and Dromader, respectively, to go into the AI/Aircraft folder for MP use? Stuart and ThorstenB just fixed the B1900D AI model so it works correctly, and my fps soared from 2 to 30-something when that model is in view. I'm guessing it won't take very long, and users with slow video cards will thank you!

Authors of other resource-intensive aircraft are invited, too. It would be really nice for low-poly versions to get into git before 2.6 is released. Mind that the paths and filenames agree with the "normal" model in data/Aircraft.

Thanks.
someguy

Version: 2019.1.1

Re: Request for low-poly models

Postby El Flauta » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:54 am

I have no problem about do a low-poly model of the Dromader, but it will be impossible in just one week. To reduce polys is a pretty simple task, but remap the model to re-use textures (resized, of course) looks quite a titanic job to make it in few days :?

But... it works? I don't remember to have seen any low poly model before. I always look the complete models of any flight partner...

---

(However, I will to ask for low poly models of 777s! Everytime a 777 logs near me, my computer drop blood tears... the same with E-170 and CRJs)
Vive FlightGear! Have you a Ñ on your keyboard? Spain-LatinAmerica FlightGear community!
--
PZL M18B Dromader
CASA C-101 Aviojet
Cessna 337G Skymaster
El Flauta

Callsign: CC-FLT
Version: 3

Re: Request for low-poly models

Postby someguy » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:47 am

For the 777, try this. Create a file named 777-200ER.xml using this code:

Code: Select all
<?xml version = '1.0' encoding = 'UTF-8' ?>
<PropertyList>

<path>777-200ER.ac</path>

</PropertyList>

Place it in data/AI/Aircraft/777/Models/, along with 777-200ER.ac.

See if that helps. It seems to work for me, as long as there aren't 20 777s crashing and respawning at the same time. :)

Low-poly/low-resolution is nice, but simply stripping out the cockpit and its animations may help a lot. I can fly the Dromader OK usually, but if there's a second one around, my poor little iMac goes belly-up. Same with the EC135.
someguy

Version: 2019.1.1

Return to Aircraft