Board index FlightGear Support Hardware

Configuring Saitek Multi Panel for FlightGear  Topic is solved

Joysticks, pedals, monitors.

Configuring Saitek Multi Panel for FlightGear

Postby drdavid » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:55 am

Greetings:

I have the newest version of the Saitek Pro Flight MultiPanel and it appears that the drivers and software are configured only for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 and Microsoft Flight Sim X. The panel is talking to my computer because the test program indicates all of the buttons and switches are operating normally.

I've gone to the Saitek website and downloaded the drivers, in addition to what is provided on the installation CD-ROM.

So, what do I need to do to get the Multi Panel to work with FlightGear?

Thanks and all my best,

David
drdavid

Callsign: SkyBoat
Version: 3.2.0

Re: Configuring Saitek Multi Panel for FlightGear

Postby sgofferj » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:45 am

Not working (yet?) and Saitek is refusing to give out the SDK with bfm reasons.
See viewtopic.php?f=24&t=14535#p147228
FG 3.1 GIT / Opensuse 12.3 / Phenom II X4 / GForce GTX560
Stefan's little Flightgear corner | The Finnish Weather Center | Wolves in Finland

Working on: EFTP
COM: IAX2:home.gofferje.net/stefan (MO-FR 0700-2000 UTC, SA+SU 0900-2000 UTC)
sgofferj

Callsign: OH-SW
Version: 3.1 GIT

Postby drdavid » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:52 pm

Stefan--

Thanks for the reply. I realized that I forgot to include my OS. I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium. I don't know if that makes the situation better or worse!

As an aside, I have the Saitek Pro Flight Yoke and Throttle Quadrant at home (KEUG), but I am currently in Portland (KPDX) because my mother is in hospital, so I don't have access to my home system. The multi panel may work once I plug it into the USB port on the yoke, but have no way to test that at the moment. Besides, the MP installation manual says it should work without being connected to the yoke.

All my best,

David
drdavid

Postby sgofferj » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:03 pm

Windows or Linux doesn't make a difference here because Flightgear doesn't know how to communicate with the Multi Panel and if Saitek doesn't give out the SDK/communication specs, it's at least very hard to write a middleware that allows FG to talk to the panel.
FG 3.1 GIT / Opensuse 12.3 / Phenom II X4 / GForce GTX560
Stefan's little Flightgear corner | The Finnish Weather Center | Wolves in Finland

Working on: EFTP
COM: IAX2:home.gofferje.net/stefan (MO-FR 0700-2000 UTC, SA+SU 0900-2000 UTC)
sgofferj

Callsign: OH-SW
Version: 3.1 GIT

Postby drdavid » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:19 pm

Thank you for the update and clarification. I'll write to Saitek and harangue them for their short-sighted product development.
drdavid

Postby Isaak » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:28 pm

I know this is an old thread, but since googling for "Flightgear saitek switch panel" ranks this topic first, I assume this post might be interesting for anyone searching for a solution for their switch panel: https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=12363&start=60#p286759

I have no idea if this config file works (haven't had the time to test it), but since I am searching for ages for a solution for my unused switch panel, I couldn't resist to link it here.
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA
Version: next

Postby PatrikB » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:49 pm

since googling for "Flightgear saitek switch panel" ranks this topic first... :)

solution given in viewtopic.php?f=24&t=12363&start=60#p286759 is correct but incomplete.

Linux is by default considering the device as a mouse, creating spurious mouse events and preventing the device to work with fg.

here is the solution working for, consolidating results from another forum (I hope this is not a problem to refer to x-plane forum :? ):

step 1: follow https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/f ... tch-panel/ to create udev rules
step 2: follow https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/f ... -in-linux/ to prevent X interpreting the panel events as mouse events
step 3: follow viewtopic.php?f=24&t=12363&start=60#p286759 to create Pro-Flight-Switch-Panel.xml
step 4: enjoy the panel! :)
PatrikB

Version: 2018.2.1

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:00 pm

one might consider to create a page in the wiki about this... then they can list the steps needed with reference to the given links... that gives folks one place to look and follow through each of the necessary steps...

GoodJob!<tm>
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Hardware