Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

787 and CRJ-200 Development

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: 787 and CRJ-200 Development

Postby Boeing » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:48 pm

I tried that. Also the latest CRJ-200 is all darkish
Won't be doing much anymore....
Boeing

Callsign: Boeing, MIA0029
Version: 24

Postby Trez » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:18 am

Boeing wrote in Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:48 pm:I tried that. Also the latest CRJ-200 is all darkish

ithink that it has to do with git textures BUT I USE GIT !!!!!!!! why? i tried the git 747 a340 same prob :!: :?: :!: :?: !?

Thx tristar

Btw how do i change my profile pic i put in a link it says it is to long
Trez

Callsign: Trez
Version: 2.8 GIT

Postby nickyivyca » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:25 am

Make sure you have a decently recent version of git. (And also the executable part, too!) The black part is probably from lightmaps.

As for the contrails, I haven't messed with those in forever, so check your command line output for errors.
Personal Fleet: 787-8, CRJ-200, 737-300, MD-81, DHC-3A, Beechcraft Starship
New hangar!
Curent projects: New 787, New CRJ-200, DC-9, New 777-200ER FDM
nickyivyca

Callsign: Nick, ---206
Version: 2

Postby Trez » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:29 pm

nickyivyca wrote in Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:25 am:Make sure you have a decently recent version of git. (And also the executable part, too!) The black part is probably from lightmaps.

As for the contrails, I haven't messed with those in forever, so check your command line output for errors.

i have git 2.30
Trez

Callsign: Trez
Version: 2.8 GIT

Postby dany93 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:51 pm

787-8 Avionics improvements

Based on the current 787-8 already remarkable avionics / dashboard and starting with the B1900D AP/FD interface (instead of the generic one), 787-8 avionics has been improved.
- Flightdirector ("moustache", for manual IFR flight) has been made to work,
- Systems previously not available such as ILS LOC-armed, GS-armed, ILS Back Course modes are now operational,
- Automatisms, safety interlocks and the autopilot have been refined,
- All IFR flight is possible from the dashboard using mouse clicks or scrollwheel to command the AP/FD (except B/C which needs the dialog box),
- User interface (handling, annunciators) has been completely redone, for a better logic, readability and more realism.
Navigation under Route Manager or GPS control and GPS let down are also operational.

These improvements in procedures and avionics could be carried out thanks to the knowledge, remarks, suggestions, tests, etc, from aco (JM, an aeronautics professional from the french forum who has firstly piloted many types of aircraft. Thanks, JM for your contribution, your help was unvaluable!).

787-v20120109 (deleted)

[EDIT] Sorry! Due to small error in HDG bug settting from AP dialog box,
Updated version
787-v20120113

Dany
Last edited by dany93 on Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dany93

Version: 2020.4.0

Postby I-NEMO » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:35 pm

Hi dany93,

Thank you (and to JM too, of course) for this very nice improvement!
I've just made a few test flights with the new 787.

The aircraft behaves more realistically, and it flies nicely.
Controllig the AP's functions from the dashboard it's easier (Mouse Scrolling), now.

But I noticed that the AP works now in a slightly different way than before: the Flight Plan is followed using HDG now (with FD on), and not LNAV (like in the previous models and in the 777's AP). Also, I'm a bit confused about the proper way to control the new AP features: the LNAV button works only if the GPS is slaved (I gather it should be so), but if the HDG button is On, the LNAV button does not go ON and does not override it (like in the 777 AP, for instance).
The LOC and APP functions work perfectly, but ALT should be manually turned Off in order to properly descend through the GS's path (Again, I imagine it's the way it should be; in previous versions and on the 777, turning APP On automatically overrides ALT).
I also noticed that the GS path is followed with a slightly higher altitude; the aircraft is a bit too higher when arriving at the Rway (the GS yellow marker is always a bit "below" the center marker).

Anyway, it's a great improvement for the 787-8.
I would appreciate a detailed explication - if possible - about how to properly use the new AP functions, which behaves nicely but differently from the previous versions.

Regards

I-NEMO
I-NEMO

Callsign: I-NEMO
Version: 2017.2.1

Postby f-ojac » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:19 pm

If there are sufficient good reports on this mod, maybe someone could merge it into GIT ?
f-ojac

Version: GIT

Postby dany93 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:28 pm

Hi, I-NEMO,

Thank you for your interest.

I have still to think to answer every question of yours, but I'm going to try what I can at this time.
- If I remember well, in the initial 787-8, the AP had to be set to "True Heading" in order to be driven by the route manager, and to "NAV" with the GPS. I've merely kept these ways. Having something very realistic is not easy because Route Manager and GPS are gathered into one system in reality. That's a compromise.
- On "NAV" press, if the GPS is not in "NAV1 Slave", your aircraft NAV is driven by the current radio frequency beacon (ILS or VOR, or nothing). The GPS has to be set in the "NAV1 Slave" mode to send its proper information to the aircraft NAV system.
Secondly, the NAV is only "NAV-armed" (see the AP / FD checkbox) if the OBS or yellow NAV indicators are at full deviation (you are too far from the track). It switches to "NAV" (GPS, VOR or LOC) only when the OBS indicator comes to < 90% of its full deviation. Before that, the current mode (HDG, or ROLL) is kept. And yes, sorry, you have to manually select your mode on the dashboard.
- In ILS appproach, like the NAV mode, the GS mode is "GS armed" (see the AP checkbox) in a first step, with "ALT" still active. GS ("APP") is automatically activated (switched from "ALT") when the your path cuts the GS path (the GS indicator goes through zero). Of course, you have to intercept the GS from below (typically 2000 - 3000 ft, press "LOC" and "APP" buttons, converge 30 deg from the RWY axis, you are in LOC-arm, GS-arm, and you wait...).
The dashboard button lights give the status, make the difference between the "armed" and "active" modes of NAV, LOC and APP (GS). Observe the "ALT Hold", "HDG Hold", lights, which goes off on interception.
- For the GS path error, I'm going to check and see if I can do something without destabilizing the AP in GS mode.
[EDIT] I've checked. Right, the yellow marker is a slightly below the center, but the aircraft aims correctly at the runway threshold, isn't it?
Sorry for these imperfections.
I hope this quick response partly helps.

Cheers,

Dany

@ olivier-jacq
I'd like it. You've given the conditions, and if someone has the kindness to do it.
Last edited by dany93 on Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dany93

Postby aco » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:49 pm

Hi, I-NEMO,

Here is the way to use the different means of navigation :
Three cases have to be considered :

1) VOR navigation
- Turn to intercept the selected radial under 30°. HDG HOLD is illuminated.
- Select TRK on the dashboard and the selected radial. Press the hold button. LNAV illuminates.
- When the radial is going to be intercepted :
HDG HOLD extinguishes
TRK HOLD illuminates
LNAV is staying lighted
- Select VOR position on the EHSI to look after the interception

2) Using Route Manager
- From HDG HOLD use, Press the Activate button
- The aircraft turns to the first point of the navigation
- HDG HOLD is illuminated, HDG is set to join the point
- Because there is no means of radionavigation LNAV is out

3) Using GPS
- LEG mode
No change. GPS allows the pilot to follow the Route Manager navigation

- DTO mode
Set the desired point to be joined
Mark NAV1 slave
Press Search then DTO buttons.
Press LNAV, the aircraft immediately turns
LNAV and TRK hold are illuminated

- OBS mode
Choose a GPS point and a radial
Press the OBS button
Mark NAV1 slave (to simulate a fictitious means of nav)
Turn to intercept the selected radial under 30°
On the dashboard set the selected radial and press the HOLD button
LNAV illuminates
Continue as for a VOR navigation

Regards,
JM
Last edited by aco on Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aco

Postby I-NEMO » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:55 pm

Hello dany93 and JM,

thank you very much for your explications!

Now, using the new 787's AP features is clear and the aircraft is really more enjoable!
My congratulations, to both of you, for the effort: coding the new features should have been not an easy task.

I'm not an expert at all, but just a beginner who loves to fly and eager to learn; so please forgive me if I dare to to ask a few more questions:

A) Switching AP On gives (in the AP Menu) "ROLL" for Lateral Mode and "PITCH" for Vertical Mode (like in the B1900D) . But I cannot 'roll' the plane, while I can change - through my joystick - the aircraft's 'pitch' attitude. So, having AP turned On - just for instance to let it control ALT and IAS holding -, it seems that you cannot turn the plane to any direction. In order to 'roll' the plane the main AP button must be turned Off. In other planes in FG, like B1900D or 777, you can 'roll' the plane while AP holds ALT and/or IAS. Are those planes AP's features unrealistic?

B) When following a Flight Plan, as per your instructions, the Lateral navigation works perfectly, with constant and gentle 'auto-adjustments' performed by the AP (the HDG indicator shows 'live' these continuous adjustments). But no Vertical navigation is performed, so that if you have entered a waypoint, let's say as DONALD@10000, when the aircraft turns to DONALD it does not descend or climb to FL100 (with or without FD mode). It's not a major problem, I manually change the ALT setting and everything works fine; but I'm wondering if this is the way it has to be. In other APs, certainly less sophisticated (777, for instance) the various FL changes are executed by the AP while following the FP.

C) How can I make the 787's AP follow a certain HDG? Let's say that I wish to manually correct my course to 100°, while mantaining ALT and IAS holding: I cannot change the HDG, neither on the dashboard's panel or in the AP Menu; is there a way to make the plane turn to a desired direction having AP turned On?

Thank you again for your most notable work!

Regards

I-NEMO
I-NEMO

Postby dany93 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:12 pm

Hi I-NEMO,

A)
- To manually control Roll or Pitch with JS, the AP must be OFF.
- When the AP is ON, you cannot control pitch or roll with your JS. If you feel to have some action with pitch, that's temporary and the AP recovers to the set point just after. You can have some temporary action on pitch because the AP drives the elevator trim, not the elevator itself (you JS acts on the elevator). Instead, the AP drives the ailerons directly, immediately correcting your JS action. Roll and Pitch control are done only through the AP settings.
- With the 787 AP, roll control and pitch control are not separate. With AP ON, you are in [ROLL or HDG or NAV] and [PITCH or ALT or GS]. Normally, you should be able to control ROLL by the Roll Knob at the bottom right of the AP box. I can (Windows Vista, FG 200), JM cannot (Linux, FG 240). I don't know why. In fact, I never use it, I turn with HDG.
- IAS set is separate.

B)
When following a Flight Plan, Vertical Navigation is not controlled. It was in a first step, but with the following drawbacks :
- At the last Route Manager leg, the plane took the Airport altitude as the ALT set. That gave a premature, uncontrolled descent. In fact, you should either keep the ALT until intercepting the GS or set a negative VS here.
- With the GPS, every change in GPS "next point" had the same effect as above (ALT set = ground). So we decided to have manual control for the altitude. I write my flight plan merely as "DONALD" (forgetting @10000).

Maybe there's a better way, but I did what I could with my present knowledge...

C)
That's abnormal. With AP "ON" or "OFF", and Route Manager OFF, you should be able to set the HDG bug. Even when stopped on the runway at start. That's the way to drive the aircraft with AP "ON".
I hope that's a mistake and that it will work (let me know).
[EDIT 1] You were partially right. Sorry! Because of an error in file cleaning, "HDG" could be set from the dashboard but not from the AP dialog Box. I'm going to repair it and re-upload the aircraft.
{EDIT 2] Done. see below. Thanks for the remark.

Enjoy your flights (there's no shame to be a beginner and to ask questions which are not obvious, the important is to love it).

Regards

Dany
Last edited by dany93 on Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dany93

Postby dany93 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:33 pm

@ Nickyivyca,

Hi, Nick are you here?

Dany
dany93

Postby dany93 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:53 pm

Sorry! Due to small error in HDG bug settting from AP dialog box,
Updated version
787-v20120113
deleted, replaced by
787-v20121121
Last edited by dany93 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dany93

Postby I-NEMO » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:59 pm

Hi dany93,

thanks for your quick response.

A)...understood. I do confirm that with AP Lateral indicator (in AP Menu) on 'ROLL', the aircraft can be controlled through the 'ROLL' knob in AP Menu (I'm on Window Vista - FG 2.4.0, too).

B) I'm aware that on other aircraft's AP (B1900D and 777), when turning to Final, ALT is suddenly going to 0 (which is not nice at all if the Approach path passes above some mountain or hills). After having discovered this behavior, I simply dialed in (immediately after turning to the last WP, i.e. the selected Apt) the right Approach ALT on the AP's dashboard. Probably weird, because the plane goes down and up, but workable...Anyway, I find that your solution is much better: as you said, I simply hold the manually selected APP Altitude (check Approach Charts) until GS is intercepted (...from below!); then - when the GS yellow marker is centered - I switch APP On, and the plane smoothly changes Altitude following Glide path...

C) Great! :D ...now the aircraft HDG can be controlled through the AP's dashboard: Route Manager must be turned Off ('Clear List' in the Route Manager). While on Final, distance to Apt is given by DME. By deleting a Flight Plan, because you wanted to manually fly to a certain HDG during a running Route Managed flight, you have to re-enter (or reload) a Flight Plan if you want to switch back to Route Managed flight. It's not a major problem...

Thanks for your work, dany93: excellent job, très jolie 8) !

Regards

I-NEMO
I-NEMO

Postby dany93 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:40 pm

Hi, I-NEMO,

Glad that it works.

I-NEMO wrote in Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:59 pm:B) I simply hold the manually selected APP Altitude (check Approach Charts) until GS is intercepted (...from below!); then - when the GS yellow marker is centered - I switch APP On, and the plane smoothly changes Altitude following Glide path...

You don't have to switch the AP On or Off. You can keep the AP On (in ALT mode, setting a correct altitude, until the GS yellow marker is centered) and it switches to GS on its own.

C)By deleting a Flight Plan, because you wanted to manually fly to a certain HDG during a running Route Managed flight, you have to re-enter (or reload) a Flight Plan if you want to switch back to Route Managed flight. It's not a major problem...

Yes, that's a problem during the Flight Plan, but in Final your Flight Plan is finished. And here, the best is to use the ILS LOC if there is one, or GPS OBS.

Dany
dany93

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft