Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Flightgear, the Flight Sim for Linux?

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Flightgear, the Flight Sim for Linux?

Postby emarkay » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:05 am

It once was a viable alternative for booting to MS Windows to fly.
Even a year ago it was so. But for some reason, someone forgot to update the program for the core enthusiasts.
(OK, I hear, I am using an older Linux - but it is a Supported Long Term Release variant.)
Why has there been no official FG 2.4 for supported Debian variants?

But, sorry, can't whine more. I need to shut down and reboot into Windows, wait for a half hour for all the OS and anti-malware updates, reboot as needed once or thrice, disable connectivity, scan disks, check for spyware, defrag and reboot again, and then, load MSFS 9 or X and finally fly.

EDIT-NO LONGER RELEVANT- IGNORE THIS...
Last edited by emarkay on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ubuntu 12.04.x LTS & Windows XP-SP3 (for MS FlightSim only):
Dell Precision 390, Pentium D 3.40G, 4G RAM, NVIDIA GT360, 2M VRAM (Main)
Dell Dimension E520, Pentium D 2.80G, 3G RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT, 1M VRAM
emarkay

Version: 2.10

Re: Flightgear, the Flight Sim for Linux? Bovine Fecal Matte

Postby statto » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:13 am

Probably because no one has been interested in compiling 2.4 for Ubuntu 10.04. Someone may decide to compile this eventually but if not you could try and compile it and provide a .deb for 10.04 users yourself.

If you are compiler-adverse, this doesn't mean you can't use 2.0 until you upgrade to another LTS distribution.
Custom Scenery available from http://www.stattosoftware.com/flightgear
statto

Postby Hooray » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:02 pm

But for some ass-i-nine reason, someone forgot to update the program for the core enthusiasts.
(OK, I hear, I am using an older Linux - but it is a Supported Long Term Release variant, which has more support time officially than some "STL" releases.)
But why the apparent "thumb our collective noses at, and ignore our earliest supporters?" Why has there been no official FG 2.4 for supported Debian variants?

You consider yourself a so called "core enthusiast", you say you are using an older Linux version, you claim to be among "the earliest supporters" of FG.

Sounds all fine to me. In fact, I am still using Suse Linux 7.0 on one of my computers, which REALLY is unsupported.
Yet, I have NEVER had to download a binary release for Linux, I simply built everything from source. Not too much to expect from somone who describes himself as a "core enthusiast" if you ask me?

Don't get me wrong though, but even if you don't know anything about programming or compilers (pretty unlikely for a die hard Linux user actually), there are options to build FG from source - in a scripted fashion. Just check out our wiki.

Coming here and whining is not really the solution, if you wanted to solve the problem - you could go to susestudio, register an account and easily build FG for dozens of different distributions.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby emarkay » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:33 am

Hey Hooray, note I never claimed I was anything; I just remember back in the early days of Ubuntu the joy of FG.

And if you would do a bit of research before strutting so proudly, you will see my frustrations in getting a viable install of 2.4. It was unsuccessful after many, many hours. Please, please be more tolerant of those to whom you have not done your homework on.

As for the smarmy comments about the bleeding edge, all I know is LTS is supported and works, and I have no interest in all the Windows-like bloat and insecure threads of current and future Ubuntu releases - social networking? Cloud storage? Yea, great for twentysomethings and the easily amused, but some of us have real work to do...

So instead of getting into a pee-pee contest, mate. 'ave you got an installable .deb for me and us? Well? Come on, it's apparently so easy! Go for it. I know you can! Do it, do it, do it. Prove your skills; show your awareness of it all! Send me a link to this file and I'll install it, on 3 machines, and test it out...

MRK
emarkay

Postby Hooray » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:45 am

emarkay wrote in Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:33 am:So instead of getting into a pee-pee contest, mate.

you started out like this, I merely responded. Unlike many others, who didn't bother - presumably due to your choice of words? I don't know.

emarkay wrote in Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:33 am: 'ave you got an installable .deb for me and us? Well? Come on, it's apparently so easy! Go for it. I know you can! Do it, do it, do it. Prove your skills; show your awareness of it all! Send me a link to this file and I'll install it, on 3 machines, and test it out...

Well, thanks for the challenge, I don't feel challenged, interested or inclined at all. I wouldn't even be interested if I were a debian user and had debian locally installed. This isn't about my skills. You started talking about "bovine fecal matter", which is probably not the way to get people interested in helping you.

Yet, I provided some pointers to get you started. I don't know if it's simple, I don't know if it's difficult. In fact, I have never tried doing that. All I know is, that building FG from source is absolutely possible if you follow the instructions. It's been made easier than ever before since the move to cmake. Especially, for Linux users.

Yes, sometimes it's taken quite a while to satisfy all dependencies, but overall I haven't yet failed building FG for a number of different distributions.

Finally, trying to be helpful again: maybe do a forum/mailing list search and look out for fellow FG users using "debian". IIRC, the major problem related to debian is their insistence on using shared libraries, this is a well known and long standing thing, which has been frequently brought up on the developers mailing list, too.

Obviously, this is more of a problem for people insisting on installing binary packages, rather than buiilding from source themselves.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby emarkay » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:02 am

What a deflection shot that was... OK, I will now defer this to you.

Having presumed you have read my attempts at compiling FG, and presuming you really don't think I am some noob-twit, I then humbly ask you, Sir, for a link, a VALIDATED source of data, or a updated (not October 2010) site with methods that work.

I have tried, seriously and sincerely.

Let's both loose the attitude and work to a goal of helping the FG community; those lesser able and those too busy to care.

If I get it working, I will post s step-by-step.

Thank you,

Michael
mrk@emarkay.com
emarkay

Postby F-JJTH » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:11 pm

Hi Michael,

If I understand, and to be objective : You want a recent version of FlightGear. You use Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. Only FG 1.9.1 or 2.0 is available with your Ubuntu.
Which solution can we find for you :
- Someone create a .deb for you : this solution needs someone with some know and your wait can be long
- Compile FlightGear yourself : this solution seem to be more appreciated

I propose you the second solution. Now how to use this solution ?
1 - Download Brisa script's available here : https://gitorious.org/fg/fgmeta/blobs/r ... compile.sh
2 - Create a folder where you want, and I propose you to named it "fgfs"
3 - Put the Brisa script into this folder (fgfs)
4 - Edit the Brisa script : search "libboost1.46-dev" en replace it by "libboost1.42-dev"
5 - Open a terminal and go into your new folder : cd /home/michael/fgfs for example
6 - Run the script : sh download_and_compile.sh -j 2 -s ALL ( -s : Stable version because it seem you prefer stable software ;) but if you like adventure and risk remove it and compile FlightGear "unstable" :P )
7 - Wait very long time : this script take between 3 hours and 5 hours (depend of your bandwidth, computer...)

If you have problem during compilation : the script creates automatically a log file, post your log file here and someone help you ;)

I hope having understood your problem and brought a viable solution

Cheers,
Clément
F-JJTH

Postby stuart » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:45 pm

FYI, I'm also on Ubuntu LTS 10.04. I compile FG on a daily basis, so it should Just Work.

I don't use any scripts.

And to re-iterate Hooray's point - you topic title and content certainly do not endear you to anyone thinking of helping. Frankly you are lucky I didn't moderate the post on the basis of inappropriate language.

-Stuart (the mod)
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Return to The FlightGear project