Board index FlightGear Development

Flightgear On Steam.

FlightGear is opensource, so you can be the developer. In the need for help on anything? We are here to help you.
Forum rules
Core development is discussed on the official FlightGear-Devel development mailing list.

Bugs can be reported in the bug tracker.

Re: Flightgear On Steam.

Postby spitfirebruce21 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:19 am

yeh, that would as Adelaide or SFO? what would you choose if you were first starting fg....
Projects: YMBD, YJST
Horizon Flightgear Hangar!
Flightgear On Android
I may have a house on the ground, but my Home is in the sky.
spitfirebruce21

Callsign: ADL-FTW
Version: 2.6

Postby kyokoyama » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:46 pm

connect wrote in Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:16 am:Although, if there was to be a different default airport for ONLY Steam DLed FG, maybe it could work.

This will still duplicate the problem; even with Steam, there will be both "noobs" and people seeking for a more professional flying environment. I doubt making a new, Steam-only default scenery area will help.

(I moved the Achievements bit to a new thread to here, if y'all don't mind)
Look for "B-BIRD" "N127KY" or "AVA0004" -that's me.

Despite having over 1700 posts here, I am not even close to being the most skilled guy here... I'm just words and bad drawing, not experience. :P
kyokoyama

Callsign: B-BIRD, N127KY
Version: 2.12.1

Postby stuart » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:43 am

Having FlightGear available on Steam is an interesting idea, but I think you need to think a lot more about higher level issues before diving into possible achievements, fun though that is!

Here are some to get you started. I'm sure there are lots more I haven't thought about. Most are to do with the gap in expectations between someone downloading FG from the website and a Steam user who is used to downloading paid for software.

1) How will support work? People downloading FlightGear from the website have fairly low expectations of support - they are downloading something for free from a website. People using Steam will expect some level of support if things don't work straight away, because most of the software there is paid for.

2) How will downloading additional aircraft/scenery work?

3) Steam is very popular. Will the overall FG infrastructure support (say) 50,000 new MP users? Where would the downloads be hosted? On Steam servers, or do they simply link to our existing hosting?

4) While this would result in lots of people trying FG, would their expectations of software quality mean that they would get a good impression of FG, or would they think "pile of rubbish, why did I download it" because they would be comparing it with paid-for sims?

I think this is a lot more work than you think, and really requires FG to become much more polished than it is at present. It would be very easy to launch it on Steam and do a lot of damage to the FlightGear "brand" if lots of people download it and have a bad experience.

If you are serious about this, I think you need to get the entire development community behind it. As a first step I would suggest joining the flightgear-devel mailing list and posting your proposal there. Note that it'll need to be well written and pretty detailed to be taken seriously.

As I said, I think this is an interesting idea. Good luck!

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby spitfirebruce21 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:13 am

We are well propared, we are worried about a few things....
Flightgear On Android
spitfirebruce21

Postby Figaro » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:45 pm

stuart wrote in Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:43 am:...
If you are serious about this, I think you need to get the entire development community behind it. As a first step I would suggest joining the flightgear-devel mailing list and posting your proposal there. Note that it'll need to be well written and pretty detailed to be taken seriously.

spitfirebruce21 wrote in Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:13 am:We are well propared, we are worried about a few things....

Somehow, I have my doubts.

Cheers,
Figaro

Callsign: 4L-FIG

Postby spitfirebruce21 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:19 am

Connect, you always do....

Also, the downlaods will be hosted on Steams servers,
@connect, with the DLC, i ment the best of fg, also, certain items, not WHOLE hangars....

@Stuart,
1.steam will try to provide the answers, but i don't know edzactly for sure yet....
2. Probably will be used on the steam servers to, but not sure, will as blusnowman.
3. steam may haves its own MP server but with the option of the normal fg one, also that steam can make private servers that people can host.....
4. as flightgear is free and also the only flight sim on steam i don't think people will care, Steam wants a flight sim that is free, this is what they can get.

I will get Blusnowman to create a email of what he plans to do....

I want 10 of the top Aircraft, Airport models and scenery areas that arent in the base package, terrasync ect, these will be on steam as DLC.....

Please vote!
also, we have the achievements, Also is anyone interested in helping with steam coding, blusnowman is happy to do it all, but is probably wanting help on the inside.
if you read all this thank you!
Spitfirebruce21
Flightgear On Android
spitfirebruce21

Postby Figaro » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:13 am

spitfirebruce21 wrote in Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:19 am:Connect, you always do....

And thats not my fault.

spitfirebruce21 wrote in Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:19 am:Also, the downlaods will be hosted on Steams servers,
@connect, with the DLC, i ment the best of fg, also, certain items, not WHOLE hangars....

Then dictate that clearer.

If we want FlightGear to look professional we want top notch screenshots (like those by ot-666 in the LOWI thread, not yours), good, proper English (again, not like you) and a thorough knowledge, which I've only seen from Brin, not you.

spitfirebruce21 wrote in Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:19 am:I want 10 of the top Aircraft, Airport models and scenery areas that arent in the base package, terrasync ect, these will be on steam as DLC.....

Aircraft:
--> Airbus A330-200, Boeing 747-400, CRJ700family, Boeing 787-8, Boeing 777-300 (only if the updated version), Embraer E-Jet family, Tupolev TU-154b, Airbus A310-300.

Airports:
--> LOWI- Innsbruck, EHAM- Amsterdam Schiphol, EGKK- London Gatwick, RJGG- Chubu Centrair, WSSS- Singapore Changi, VHHH- Hong Kong International, EETN- Tallinn (and North Baltics), TNCC- Curacao Hato and UKBB- Kyiv Boriyspil.

Scenery: Austria, North Baltics, Rio de Janiero, anything that statto has made ^.^ :L Irish/British landcover, Brest region, hmm thats off of the top of my head.

Cheers,
Figaro

Callsign: 4L-FIG

Postby snipey » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:00 am

spitfirebruce21 wrote in Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:19 am:4. as flightgear is free and also the only flight sim on steam i don't think people will care, Steam wants a flight sim that is free, this is what they can get.

flightgear won't be the only flightsim on steam
steam is selling :
* il2-1946 a ww2 combat simulator
* il 2 sturmovik; Cliffs of Dover another ww2/BoB simulator http://il2sturmovik.ubi.com/cliffs-of-dover/en-GB/home/
* dcs a-10c and dcs blackshark, two extremely realistic modern study sims http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/
and depending on what you want to call a sim, and most of the steam audience probably will put them together
* hawx
* hawx 2 http://hawxgame.us.ubi.com/
* wings of prey http://www.airwargame.ru/eng/
and there are also some old games that i dont know but also look like they are combat flightsims.

so FG wont be the only flightsim on steam, please do some research before making a statement like that
snipey

Callsign: snipey
Version: GIT

Postby spitfirebruce21 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:03 am

I was meaning Civil....
Flightgear On Android
spitfirebruce21

Postby stuart » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:10 pm

Hi Spitfirebruce21,

Thanks for the answers.

I think you're assuming Steam will take on a lot of support/server cost for no revenue/profit. I think it's much more likely that they will host the download on their content distribution network, but expect to use our existing support, MP servers etc. The only way to be sure will be to ask.

spitfirebruce21 wrote in Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:19 am:4. as flightgear is free and also the only flight sim on steam i don't think people will care, Steam wants a flight sim that is free, this is what they can get.

My concern is more that Steam may offer a great opportunity to increase the number of people using FG, but a bad launch will give people a very bad impression of FG that will be difficult/impossible to replace. This is really something that can be done only once, so it is critical that it is done carefully and in the right way.

spitfirebruce21 wrote in Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:19 am:I will get Blusnowman to create a email of what he plans to do....

I think that's a good idea. As I said already, I think the idea is interesting, but the actual execution of the project will be key and something I think will need more than two people. FYI - my day job is managing large software engineering projects, and these things are always much more complicated than they look at first glance. The good news is that there are lots of people here and on the -devel list with a huge amount of expertise.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby hvengel » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:38 pm

connect wrote in Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:13 am:Aircraft:
--> Airbus A330-200, Boeing 747-400, CRJ700family, Boeing 787-8, Boeing 777-300 (only if the updated version), Embraer E-Jet family, Tupolev TU-154b, Airbus A310-300.

Why only airliners and business jets? Some people will not even consider flying these; I consider these types of aircraft to be a high tech flying bus, for example. This not intended as a put down as I am just trying to point out that different people have different interests. Someone like myself who finds airliners and business jets uninteresting would look at this and just walk away. Wouldn't a broader more representative sampling be better? Perhaps pick 10 or 15 categories (like WWII fighter, jet fighter, prop bomber, jet bomber, glider, single engine GA, multi engine GA, modern airliner, busniess jet, prop airliner, helicopter...) and then select a "best" aircraft in each. This makes the odds of a new user finding something of interest much more likely.
hvengel
Retired

Postby spitfirebruce21 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:59 am

So like 10 aircraft packs with 3 of the best in it? like ultimute WW2, Ultimute jumbo ect......
Flightgear On Android
spitfirebruce21

Postby spitfirebruce21 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:57 am

Me and Brin are closing the project, we might restart later, but no backing and alot of people agains :\.....
sorry to anyone who wanted it on steam (In other words no-one)

Lachlan....
Flightgear On Android
spitfirebruce21

Previous

Return to Development