Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Saab J35Ö Draken

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Saab J35Ö Draken

Postby badoli » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:49 pm

Hey

I am modelling the austrian version of the Saab J35 Draken fighter. I have not much idea about scripting with flightgear yet, i'll give it a try, but if i fail, is somebody insterested in making the thing fly?

The model itself works very well with it, i basically just exported it and exchanged it for the T-38 once for a test. I also hacked the aileron, elevator and rudder in. Gear and airbrakes are ready for it. I barely have any idea on how to balance a plane, make it "realistic", etc...., so it might take quite some time until you can call it "done", but hey, it's a start!

My todo-list so far:
- finish texture
- add 4th gearwheel
- make it fly!
- create cockpit

As it is basically just practise for me, i have no intension to market it, so i would gladly donate it to the project... is there interest?

Short austrian history:
The airplane flew in the austrian airforce for more than 17 years without a single crash. Being disliked first by the public for its costs and its noise the "dragon" gained aknowledgement for securing our borders during the war in ex-yugoslavia securing our borders (alltough it can be argued if it would really have succeeded any fight with its russian counterparts). Though it's age (introduced 1950), it could consolidate a very good image within the austrian airforce. It's last flight was on 22. Dezember 2005.

cheers
Oliver

badoli

Re: Saab J35Ö Draken

Postby curt » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:00 pm

badoli wrote:I am modelling the austrian version of the Saab J35 Draken fighter

Wow, that looks great. If you send me a copy (or preferably post a link to where I can fetch a copy) I can add it to the FlightGear project. This is a really awsome aircraft and an amazing engineering feat for it's era!

The National Test Pilot School in Mojave still operates several of these for training.

Regards,

Curt.
curt
Administrator

Postby curt » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:53 pm

curt wrote:The National Test Pilot School in Mojave still operates several of these for training.

It looks like I may be able to get access to a flight manual for the Draaken as well as some real world flight test data.

Regards,

Curt.
curt
Administrator

Postby badoli » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:49 am

curt wrote:
badoli wrote:I am modelling the austrian version of the Saab J35 Draken fighter
The National Test Pilot School in Mojave still operates several of these for training.

Wow, i didn't knew that one ... i know there is a flight school in the US that has several ones working. Lets see, maybe i gonna have the money one day ;-D

curt wrote:It looks like I may be able to get access to a flight manual for the Draaken as well as some real world flight test data.

Cool! I see a bad dragon rising!
badoli

Postby AndersG » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:16 pm

badoli wrote:Hey

I am modelling the austrian version of the Saab J35 Draken fighter.

Hey, that is so beautiful! Great work!
I would very much like to see it flying in FlightGear (in fact I tried to post SAAB J35 as a suggestion to Jon's aircraft wish list thread in the mailing list, but SF's spam filter didn't like me that day..).

The double delta wing of the J 35 combines good high speed properties with good slow speed properties - which was essential to meet the requirements from the Swedish Airforce on being able to operate from (slightly enlarged) public roads. It is probably quite interesting to model aerodynamically. :)

If you should happen to come accross promising looking information in Swedish I'll happily help with translation.

Cheers,

/Anders
AndersG

Callsign: SE-AG

Postby mfranz » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:37 pm

If there's interest? You must be joking! I love it. Looks great, indeed. And I wouldn't be too worried about the FDM configuration, scripts etc. There are lots of helpful people in the FlightGear project. To find somebody who makes 3D models and cockpits is often the harder part. And I wouldn't be surprised if we could even find a Draken pilot for test flights - an Austrian one (once your J35 is ready for it :-).
mfranz

Postby badoli » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:05 pm

mfranz wrote:And I wouldn't be surprised if we could even find a Draken pilot for test flights - an Austrian one (once your J35 is ready for it :-).

Oh wow, i would feel honored!

Okay, texturing is about 80% done now.
badoli

Postby badoli » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:25 am

Okay, the model works now in the engine...

badoli

Postby badoli » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:32 pm

I have a first version of the animated Draken. If anybody wants to play around withit, here is the link to the actual version (which is still WIP):
draken.zip

So far these work:
- Gear (needs fine tuning)
- Ailerons
- Elevators
- Rudder

Todo:
- model Tailgear
- Airbrakes
- Canopy
badoli

Postby Joacim Persson » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:28 am

Apparently there is a full cockpit Draken flight simulator (along with a few other flight simulators) in operation at the aviation museum in Västerås, Sweden, for visitors to fly. There are a few video clips from flights in the Draken simulator avaliable for download from this page.

The altitude/terrain warning voice sounds oddly familiar, doesn't it? :wink:
Joacim Persson

Postby curt » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:06 am

Joacim Persson wrote:Apparently there is a full cockpit Draken flight simulator (along with a few other flight simulators) in operation at the aviation museum in Västerås, Sweden, for visitors to fly. There are a few video clips from flights in the Draken simulator avaliable for download from this page.

The altitude/terrain warning voice sounds oddly familiar, doesn't it? :wink:

The National Test Pilot School (NTPS) in Mojave, CA also has a full cockpit Draaken sim sitting in a hangar someplace. As far as I know they've never had it up and running and it would probably take a small miracle of engineering (plus pulling a few 80 year old engineers back out of retirement) to get it running.

Curt.
curt
Administrator

Postby badoli » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:25 pm

Wow, now i know where my next vacation will go to... :D
badoli

Postby curt » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:24 pm

badoli wrote:Wow, now i know where my next vacation will go to... :D

Mojave is an awsome place for aviation enthusiasts. Here are my pictures ... ahh, I see I have a couple of the Draaken ...

Link with all my pictures: http://baron.flightgear.org/~curt/Photos/KMHV/

Regards,

Curt.[/url][/b]
curt
Administrator

Postby Joacim Persson » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:53 pm

I found a rather odd "for sale" ad last night: A whole nose section from a J35F2 with intact cockpit. :shock:

110,000 SEK ...that's about 11000 euro

Well, I suppose it is perfectly normal to have a jet fighter nose section in the garage. Don't we all have one or two stashed away just in case.
Joacim Persson

Postby badoli » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:51 pm

Hey, i have created a fly-able version now:

SaabJ35OeDraken.zip

It needs to be heavily balanced though, about 10 seconds after takeoff fuel runs out... :oops:
badoli

Next

Return to Aircraft