Board index FlightGear Support Multiplayer

Extreme lagg with multiplayer

Trouble getting online, setting up a server?
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- copy&paste your commandline.

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Extreme lagg with multiplayer

Postby BRT » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:11 pm

Hi

When i go on multiplayer and there are more than about 5 pilots around, the frame rate goes down crazily to about 0.2fps average and at best times 1 or 2fps.

i may just have a slow internet connection.

what is your average framerate when there is lots of other pilots around?

thanks
:)
BRT

Re: Extreme lagg with multiplayer

Postby Johan G » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:21 pm

Where are you when that happens, and what aircraft do you fly?

I can't simply fly around KSFO a busy day or anyway near the 2.4.0's F-16, because my FlightGear almost freezes up completely... (get two F-16s near and it does) :(
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby someguy » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:35 pm

Yes, it all depends on what aircraft are in view. It helps to delete the big offenders from your Aircraft folder, the planes with excessive detail, starting with the C172P, the F16, and all jet airliners. When you start lagging suddenly, figure out what just came into view, then nuke it.

Or just fly elsewhere. But then you might as well simply disable MP entirely.
someguy

Version: 2019.1.1

Postby Johan G » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:20 pm

I have sometimes wondered if one could use AI models instead of full-featured models with internals etc. But that's just a thought... In essence I have no idea how to do it. :|
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Postby AndersG » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:11 pm

Johan G wrote in Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:20 pm:I have sometimes wondered if one could use AI models instead of full-featured models with internals etc. But that's just a thought... In essence I have no idea how to do it. :|

That is already supported - you just need to provide an AI model with a path below AI/ matching that of the main model file. However, it is not without problems (dual control, maintenance etc).

/Anders
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Postby BRT » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:31 pm

Thanks, i would rather not delete my aircraft though :D

is there detailed instruction on making a simple AI model a multiplayer pilots?
BRT

Postby AndersG » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:59 pm

BRT wrote in Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:31 pm:Thanks, i would rather not delete my aircraft though :D

is there detailed instruction on making a simple AI model a multiplayer pilots?

Not that I know of. What you could do is to simply copy the main aircraft 3d model XML file to the same path under AI/Aircraft/<aircraft>/... then you could update the path inside to still load the 3d model from the real aircraft directory (with a number of ../../../) and remove any references to instruments. That will prevent the AI model from loading any instruments which will save you some texture memory and rendering effort. There might be some very old threads around about this from a few years ago.

If some particular aircraft is problematic as a MP/AI model and you don't care about not seeing it (as a MP/AI model) you could just add an empty (possibly just containing <PropertyList/>) 3d model XML file for it below AI/Aircraft/... . (The path below AI/Aircraft/ must match exactly the path to the 3d model XML for the full aircraft below Aircraft/ - that's how FG finds out that the AI variant exists.)

/Anders
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Postby Johan G » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:16 pm

AndersG wrote in Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:59 pm:What you could do is to simply copy the main aircraft 3d model XML file to the same path under AI/Aircraft/<aircraft>/... then you could update the path inside to still load the 3d model from the real aircraft directory (with a number of ../../../) and remove any references to instruments. That will prevent the AI model from loading any instruments which will save you some texture memory and rendering effort.

Ah, ok. Maybe I could try that. :) It would, as you mentioned, be a maintenance nightmare. What I had in mind was rather to have a big, bunch of low-poly models as AI models, and only display the MP models when they are really close, like within a few hundred feet. Kind of a LOD thing. :wink:
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Postby someguy » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:53 am

There is a bunch of stripped models in the AI/Aircraft folder, but they're apparently ancient and don't match up with many aircraft in current use. No one seems to provide AI models with their new aircraft anymore, and a low-poly 777 won't be much help when all the newbies are doing aerobatics in a 777-200ER, which FG thinks is a completely different airplane. Same with "c172" v. "c172p." The concept gets an "A," but the implementation gets a "D-" because low-poly models are not automatically installed in the right place when you drop a new toy into your Aircraft folder. Of course, that's what open-source is like, all chiefs and no Indians...and it's churlish to complain about free software.

You don't actually have to delete the bloated models. Just zip them back up and FG will ignore them. Or move them to an "Aircraft (disabled)" folder.
someguy

Version: 2019.1.1

Postby Johan G » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:58 am

someguy wrote in Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:53 am:No one seems to provide AI models with their new aircraft anymore...

What? They did in the past? To bad they don't today, it would be really helpful. :(

I'll keep that in mind if I ever start modelling.

someguy wrote in Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:53 am:The concept gets an "A," but the implementation gets a "D-" because low-poly models are not automatically installed in the right place when you drop a new toy into your Aircraft folder.

That's pretty much expected behaviour.

someguy wrote in Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:53 am:You don't actually have to delete the bloated models. Just zip them back up and FG will ignore them. Or move them to an "Aircraft (disabled)" folder.

Moving them to a "Aircraft (disabled)" directory isn't such a bad idea. :)

Hmm. It seems that I hijacked this topic a bit. I'm sorry for that BRT. :oops: :(
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Return to Multiplayer