Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Mountains... again

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Mountains... again

Postby adrian » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:38 am

Edit: version which is compatible with atmospheric light scattering:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fgsched ... p/download
Might have some bugs, I'm not a shader expert.

Edit 19 Dec 2012: new version available, compatible with current FG versions and Git:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fgsched ... p/download

Transitions were re-added, Thorsten's regional mapping was preserved, some new textures, tweaked older textures. See last post for details and screenshots.
README before usage, of course.

=====

Edit: the textures, tweaked effects and a mapping for current GIT versions can be downloaded now if you want to play with them.
This is unfinished work, so you may experience some problems. Backup your Texures.high/Terrain first, this overwrites some files there.

Glacial lakes in the Tatra mountains:

Some very well known (to others) mountains in the French Alps range (thanks for the custom scenery btw!):

This is still very much WIP, but I intend to eventually have different textures for granite too, and get rid of remaining artefacts.
Last edited by adrian on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
adrian

Re: Mountains... again

Postby someguy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:11 am

Very tasty, yoyo. Me want.
someguy

Version: 2019.1.1

Postby 439Tiger » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:50 am

Me too!!! :mrgreen:
Specializing in Canadian built aircraft and aircraft flown by the RCAF

http://www.flightgearcanada.ca/ or: https://sites.google.com/site/flightgearcanada/
439Tiger

Callsign: C-CYSG
Version: 2.10.03

Postby Thorsten » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:05 am

Oh my - this is pretty good!

I'd love to have different types of rock strata to be used in different mountain ranges. Can be done by regionalizing textures :-)
Thorsten

Postby Zan » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:14 pm

These looks absolutely fantastic, especially the 4th one! Though i'd like to see same places with the old textures too ;)

Hopefully the textures are GPL so we could easily add them to our current repository?

Great work yoyo!
Zan

Postby adrian » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:14 pm

Thorsten, I wouldn't go regionalizing them just yet: right now there are areas with detailed scenery where a certain blend would make sense, and other areas where it would not. So for now I'm comfortable with just loading custom materials.xml for each one. Of course, when most of the scenery areas will have the same level of details (which should happen pretty soon if I read the mailing list messages right), then regionalizing will definetly be an option.

Zan, if you are referring to the DDS texture, it's the same, it comes from my own photographs but it's mipmapped. I'm just tweaking a little the PNG now, after that I'll give it to Emilian to perform the dds magic tricks on it. So no license issues here, you can already find it in the repository. If you are refering to the old PNG rock texture, I'll try to find the same area again, but no promises (it's huge :) )
adrian

Postby Thorsten » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:51 pm

Thorsten, I wouldn't go regionalizing them just yet: right now there are areas with detailed scenery where a certain blend would make sense, and other areas where it would not. So for now I'm comfortable with just loading custom materials.xml for each one.

Which is exactly what regionalizing textures does - it loads a certain blend for a certain area and defaults otherwise without the need to specify a custom materials.xml in the commandline. :D
Thorsten

Postby adrian » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:44 pm

Thorsten, I know what you mean, but I don't think it's time for that yet, because detailed scenery coverage is very patchy, f.e. EHAM and surroundings are what, 2 degrees? Statto's new Alaska is 2 degrees, France is 10 by 10, eastern Europe is 10 by 8 and so on. It will definetly be an option in the future though, because from what I could gather there is heavy development taking place both on the Terragear front and on the global scenery.

I have produced images to compare the default materials.xml with this one, just click on them for full size to see the details. Note they are not taken from the same location, since I could not find it anymore :)

The biggest difference is in the transition shaders, but the rock texture is also pretty important. I'll try to get one with dds textures, but it will look mostly identical to the second one.
adrian

Postby Sealbhach » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:04 pm

yoyo wrote in Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:44 pm:Thorsten, I know what you mean, but I don't think it's time for that yet, because detailed scenery coverage is very patchy, f.e. EHAM and surroundings are what, 2 degrees? Statto's new Alaska is 2 degrees, France is 10 by 10, eastern Europe is 10 by 8 and so on.

Don't forget Ireland and Corsica too! The rock textures look great there, do they slow down the framerate much?

I saw some preview images of the forthcoming X-Plane 10 release, here is one of them:

I have to say your images are well on par if not better than them.

Sealbhach

Postby gral » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:06 pm

Absolutely fantastic work you do here, all of you, in shader code and with textures. Sorry I have nothing more to say, I know it looks like one of this useless "wow" post, but many thanks, Cheers, gral
gral

Callsign: HB-GRAL
Version: GIT

Postby adrian » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:12 pm

Hehe, cool, I've watched some X-Plane 10 pictures myself, and while we're not doing so bad, they have us beat hands-down when detail is involved. But indeed their rock textures and slope transitions don't look as cool compared to ours :)
I would especially like to recommend the transition shader which are now in git, they really add a LOT to the picture.

I've just checked with the dds textures and the rock texture is indeed the same as in materials.xml but it comes from a different photograph, and I like the one I'm working on now a wee bit better, plus the tiling is not so obvious. I'd really like to do some tests with dds myself, but flightgear does not like them and crashes 5 minutes into the flight with them enabled.
I suspect the crashing issues are due to the way mipmaps are processed when it encounters one of those infamous swirlies, but it's just a hunch.
adrian

Postby adrian » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:36 am

A small update on the texture progress (click for large size):

I have added a few new textures for rock, grass and others, while tweaking levels for existing textures. All work will be GPL. Also I have added some transitions, but it's still work in progress. The screenshot above is taken from a location I've been to myself and it is very close to the real photographs taken from there.
adrian

Postby spitfirebruce21 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:50 am

This isnt FSX is it :O, that is amazing!
realese it please!
Projects: YMBD, YJST
Horizon Flightgear Hangar!
Flightgear On Android
I may have a house on the ground, but my Home is in the sky.
spitfirebruce21

Callsign: ADL-FTW
Version: 2.6

Postby adrian » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:44 pm

Added new texture for ShrubCover/ ShrubGrassCover/ ScrubCover (haven't decided yet on which material to map it):

adrian

Postby adrian » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:47 am

I'll eat my words about USGS not having images from the summer season. They have, and I managed to get some huge forest textures from it:

adrian

Next

Return to Scenery