Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Yasim questions

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Yasim questions

Postby trp81 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:33 am

I have several questions about making Yasim flightmodels.

Would it be unreasonable to consider PitchxRPMs as the cruise speed for a propeller?

To represent a fixed pitch propeller do you have to set the coarse and fine pitch values to 1?

Will the disruptive effects of several close together wings (as in a triplane) be computed by the program or would the entries for the wings have to be adjusted for that?

What is the definition of "stall Width" (could it say be identified on a Cl/AoA diagram)?

Thank you,
Troy Paton
trp81

Postby ajm » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:13 pm

First of all, have you found README.yasim in the Docs directory yet? It will answer most of your questions.

I'm not any kind of expert on YASim, but regarding stall width, README.yasim says that it is the width of the stall in degrees, with large width=gentle stall and small width = fierce/sudden stall.

Cheers,

AJ
ajm

Postby trp81 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:28 pm

First of all, have you found README.yasim in the Docs directory yet? It will answer most of your questions.

Yes I have. No it won't. The questions I have cropped up while looking through it. Basically I would like to make some WWI aircraft, I have geometrical information, including airfoils and was considering using XFLR5 to calculate the aerodynamic data. Stall aoa is pretty obvious as the point where Cl peaks, but I'm not sure about stall width. I thought it might be from the peak up to the point where the Cl curve stops, but I'd rather not guess.

Have fun,
Troy Paton
trp81

Return to Aircraft