Board index FlightGear Support Multiplayer

LAN server for MP

Trouble getting online, setting up a server?
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- copy&paste your commandline.

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: FEATURE REQUEST: LAN SERVER FOR MP

Postby Hooray » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:49 pm

Just try to follow the instructions and let us know if you get stuck somewhere, there are many more people here able and willing to provide support, not just me. So don't worry if you don't see any responses from me, okay? :-)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Re: LAN server for MP

Postby CW5Darnell » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:56 am

So a little trouble with pulling down the tools to compile now...is there an easy place to get the tools needed? and i am noticing that the instructions seem a little vague if you are not a programer. Please help...thanks.
Jay Darnell
GVC0071
Pilot, Crew Chief, Technician
Global Virtual Airlines
CW5Darnell

Callsign: GVC0071
IRC name: Jay JayD
Version: 2.12.1

Postby Hooray » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:03 pm

why don't you just use your distribution's package manager for downloading everything automatically? Usually, there are so called "meta" packages that will automatically install all required libraries and tools, without you having to intervene. Just select "development".
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby CW5Darnell » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:53 pm

Could you help me start off at step one? And I am also hearing that there are ways to connect WITHOUT fgms and everything connects directly? can you help me with this please thanks.
Jay Darnell
GVC0071
Global Virtual Airlines
CW5Darnell

Postby Hooray » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:50 pm

The package manager on ubuntu is called "Synaptic", use it (as root) and install the gcc compiler and GNU autotools, afterwards you should be able to build fgms using the instructions laid out in the wiki article I gave you.

For starters, you could also just try:

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install build-essential

CW5Darnell wrote in Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:53 pm:Could you help me start off at step one?

No, I am sorry - I cannot help you at all if you don't ask specific questions, and in fact nobody else will be able to, I am afraid.

Look, you need to work through the documentation and tell us where you fail, and then you actually need to provide GOOD feedback, not just broad questions. Otherwise, this will be a pretty tedious and long-winded process, one not many people will be willing to embark on. Sorry.

And I am also hearing that there are ways to connect WITHOUT fgms and everything connects directly? can you help me with this please thanks.

Please just see $FG_ROOT/Docs/README.multiplayer: http://gitorious.org/fg/fgdata/blobs/ma ... ultiplayer
You may also want to search the forum for "broadcast" or "multicast".
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby CW5Darnell » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:08 pm

So now I have a good solid link now... http://gitorious.org/fg/fgdata/blobs/ma ... ultiplayer any tips to set this up fully? having some hiccups still
Jay Darnell
GVC0071
Global Virtual Airlines
CW5Darnell

Previous

Return to Multiplayer