Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

PAJN Alaska Scenery

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

PAJN Alaska Scenery

Postby statto » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:59 pm

Two square degrees of beta scenery near and including Juneau, Alaska (and its difficult approach) is now available here:
http://www.stattosoftware.com/flightgear/Alaska.zip

Airports in the scenery tile include PAJN and PAGS.

This is a beta build and is therefore going to have only a temporary release to save my bandwidth. The final release will be available on avsim.

Please let me know what issues you have with this scenery - I've already changed some rock to map to dirt near the coastline, but that's not part of the build.
Custom Scenery available from http://www.stattosoftware.com/flightgear
statto

Re: PAJN Alaska Scenery

Postby Sealbhach » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:24 pm

Thanks Statto, I'm looking forward to checking it out. Any good interesting places to visit in this area?

Sealbhach

Postby mike4lin » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:13 am

No buildings? What did you change? Why it's not in GIT?
Cheers Michael
mike4lin

Postby Thorsten » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:55 am

Why it's not in GIT?

Try understanding the flow of data within the project first before speaking. Scenery never is on GIT except the initial KSFO tile which is part of FGData.

Statto - will have a look soon. I am flying a lot in Alaska (it's kind of fun looking for remote airstrips in the Twin Otter...) and I am looking forward to some hires scenery.

Just how much landcover data do you actually have - is this expected to grow, or is it just Juneau?
Thorsten

Postby mike4lin » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:23 am

What? Terragear loads data which has been submitted.
mike4lin

Postby Thorsten » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:34 am

As far as I know, landcover data goes to the mapserver and can be downloaded and processed from there.
Thorsten

Postby Gijs » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:22 pm

mike4lin wrote in Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:23 am:Terragear loads data which has been submitted.

You probably mean TerraSYNC ;)
That loads its data from a SVN server. As statto explained, this is a beta build. Once faults/bugs are fixed, it will get included on the mapserver (which holds shapefiles that are used to generate scenery). Then, the scenery has to be generated to be included on the SVN server. That can take a while (probably till the next scenery release)... When all that is finished, it can finally be obtained through TerraSync.
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby statto » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:24 pm

I've developed 11 square degrees of shapefiles for Alaska, this build only encompasses 2 of them (the two furthest north tiles). To be honest I'm not that happy with this build, so any improvements/suggestions are welcome.

The majority of my Terrain work is NOT in Terrasync. However all of my Objects work is on the scenemodels server. Only St. Maarten and surroundings (which was included in scenery build 1.0.1), Hawai'i (which was added in), and Oakland are in Terrasync.

However, the data I'm developing should be available in Terrasync after the next scenery build.
statto

Postby Thorsten » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:38 pm

No idea why you're unhappy with it... looks certainly fine to me. Some postcards:

Just overflying Taku glacier:

And Juneau airport:

It looks so much nicer than the surrounding tiles... sure, there are some fault lines, cliffs and ridges, but I haven't seen any major show-stoppers (and you really should get a decent texture set :D it helps). I replaced the default snowfield for the glacier by something more dirty found in the winter texture folder and put the default, smooth snow there in winter - then basically everything else is dirty snow and the glacier is crisp white. Looks much better...
Thorsten

Postby statto » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:48 pm

I don't have the surrounding tiles at the moment so there's nothing for me to compare it to. I'm unhappy with the way the fans build in areas of elevation, though I understand I can't control this aspect. However, I would like to be able to fine-tune the scenery to remove fans which shoot up through valleys (basically, there's a canyon but the fan ignores the canyon and goes ridge-to-ridge) and to remove or at least mitigate some of the "staircase" elevation problems.

If I could "drop in" vertices in the middle of some of these areas in order to improve the mesh, I'd do so in a second. Centroids won't work, either, because some of the areas are too large - for instance, I'd drop 3 or 4 vertices in the middle of the Mendenhall Glacier.

Also not happy with the level of detail around Juneau - this is 30m data, so it's fine for most of the scenery, but I think I'm going to go in and cover Juneau with a manual land cover because the river didn't do too well with preserving area. I've fixed this slightly for future data sets but only with roads.

Also need to fix the airport itself and do the same to Sitka and Gustavus, but don't have access to TaxiDraw at the moment, and my attempt to build the binary failed. Sitka's the only airport in the next scenery build but has a generic footprint at this point - and it's quite a dramatic airport. So lots to do to make this better on my end.
statto

Postby DutchPilotMitchell » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:57 pm

I just wet my pants... :oops:

Awesome pictures! I want it but I don't think my 4 years old mac can handle it :(
Proud to be Dutch.
DutchPilotMitchell

Callsign: mitchel
Version: 22

Postby mike4lin » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:07 am

statto wrote in Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:48 pm:Also need to fix the airport itself and do the same to Sitka and Gustavus, but don't have access to TaxiDraw at the moment, and my attempt to build the binary failed. Sitka's the only airport in the next scenery build but has a generic footprint at this point - and it's quite a dramatic airport. So lots to do to make this better on my end.

Taxidraw will be obsolete very soon and lots of improved airports rushing in with 850. Familiarize already with:
http://www.x-plane.com/blog/2011/06/new-scenery-tools-worldeditor-2-0-beta-3/
mike4lin

Postby statto » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:49 pm

Actually the "lots of improved airports" is false - looking at 8.50 airport data on the mapserver, and assuming it is the latest edition as it's relatively new, the airports I'm interested in creating are still "generic" or poorly constructed. Some other airports have data that is worse/less current than the 8.50 data. Considering 8.50 is not yet implemented TaxiDraw is still the way to go.
statto

Return to Scenery