Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Aircraft of the Week / Month: IAR-80

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Aircraft of the Week / Month: Eurocopter EC-135

Postby HHS » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:42 pm

Pat70 wrote in Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:21 pm:Hi guys,

Hi Heiko, nice to see you back , always a pleasure to know that you re always around and a pleasure to hear that you re going on in your wonderful developments ( i try to follow them in the GIT repository). Nice to learn that your going to improve the EC135, and i hope you will find time for your last baby the MBB BK117 (first release you did was really great as was your movie).

Thanks, at least I will try to finish my "babies" though this is really difficult due to real life.

@Groucho: Are you sure about doors and Wipers ?? in the EC135, never find the way to make them work, a tip is welcome (i am using 2.0 and 2.4 version (sometimes only) with all download from official FG website).

Sorry, no wipers and no doors yet on the EC135. But sure, will come of course.

And finally Many Many Thanks to Heiko for all his work, it brings me a lot of fun to fly BO105, huey, BK117, EC135, 130..and even if i wont have much time (not to say no time) in near future i will go on following your work and try to find free time to fly your creations.
Cheers
Pat

You should better thank Melchior because he scripted a lot of things quite realistic (though not realistic enough for him ;-)) - without helicopters woulden't be that fun. And of course to Maik Justus, the developer of the YASim-heli-fdm, who also created a lot of fdms and made them realistic as possible. Without him there wouldn't be any helicopter in FGFS yet! And especially with that realistic behavior!
Up, up and away
HHS

Version: GIT

Postby Boeing » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:01 pm

Hey HHS I know this is off topic but I couldn't PM you so I had to come here. I wanted to ask if you had a hanger. If you do, Can I have the link and if you don't, I suggest you make one so people can get the latest/see what helis you have made
Won't be doing much anymore....
Boeing

Callsign: Boeing, MIA0029
Version: 24

Postby i4dnf » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:09 pm

Boeing.. if you would have even bothered to do a little research first, you'd know the answer to that question, and where and how to get HHS's aircraft.
i4dnf
Retired

Callsign: YR-I4D
Version: GIT

Postby Boeing » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:13 pm

Yeah I know, smart one. I did research. I googled Flightgear HHS
Boeing

Postby Gijs » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:27 pm

Rather than calling eachother names; try various words when Googleing, or just use this forum's search engine (that one does give nice results, when using the "Advanced Search" option).
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Boeing » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:29 pm

Thanks Gijs but I was asking if HHS had a hanger
Boeing

Postby Gijs » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:35 pm

Sort of, he develops his model at Gitorious, you can find his aircraft on the right -> https://gitorious.org/~HHS
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Boeing » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:45 pm

OK thanks!
Boeing

Postby mdsmith2 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:14 pm

Looking awesome! I absolutely love the 3D cockpit. I really wish I had a computer to spend more time with FlightGear. At least some things are still looking up about it.

Where were those screenshots taken from? That looks like a pretty area
Last edited by Gijs on Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No useless quoting please.
mdsmith2

Re: Aircraft of the Week / Month: Piper PA-24 Comanche

Postby Hooray » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:17 am

Thorsten wrote in Tue May 31, 2011 5:01 pm:
stuart wrote:Also, have you considered putting your review in the newsletter?

Yes, I have sort of considered it, but on the other hand, you're probably interested in me picking up work with your Nasal cloud interface as well... so it's mainly an issue of time and too many things to do.

I think we could simply take your postings from the forum and post them to the wiki, copying/pasting your postings should not be too much of a hassle. If you are okay with it and nobody beats me to it, I will start copying your reviews to the wiki, where they can be linked to in the newsletter.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Thorsten » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:53 am

Where were those screenshots taken from? That looks like a pretty area

Both in the Austrian Alps, out of Innsbruck airport (LOWI) going southward - using Innsbruck custom scenery.

I think we could simply take your postings from the forum and post them to the wiki, copying/pasting your postings should not be too much of a hassle. If you are okay with it and nobody beats me to it, I will start copying your reviews to the wiki, where they can be linked to in the newsletter.

I usually add the reviews to the wiki page of the aircraft after a while when I find the time to do it - if you do it first, I certainly don't mind.
Thorsten

Re: Aircraft of the Week / Month: Zeppelin NT

Postby Thorsten » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:21 am

Zeppelin NT

Model

The cockpit of the Zeppelin NT requires getting used to, as a prominent MFD is devoted to the management of the gas bag pressure, something that is not done in usual airplane operations. As fas as the instruments go, the cockpit is fairly detailed and all the gauges are done in impressive detail, but surfaces are usually textured in monochromatic colors and the instrument panel contrasts somewhat with the overall low detail of the cabin interior.

Gauges and levers are all functional, and adjustment of the individual thrust levers from the 3d cockpit is sometimes also required, as the airship can be controlled by vectored thrust. As a backup for the user unfamiliar with reading the gas management details from the MFD, the alphanumerical values of several parameters are printed on-screen.

The exterior model is in general well done, but again would benefit of some more realistic texturing.

A nice feature is the mooring mast (integrated into a truck) that can be placed when approaching the desired destination.

Flight characteristics

Probably like most others, I've never flown an airship, so I don't know how accurate the FDM is - but it sure is very interesting! In fact, this is clearly the strong point of the Zeppelin NT.

One instructive experience is to observe the helium pressure when ascending or descending - it reflects the changed pressure immediately, and one needs to compensate by inflating or deflating the ballonets. While it is possible to simply always inflate the ballonets with maximum rate and let the safety valve take care of the rest, the more rewarding experience is to do pressure management manually - which is quite enough to keep one busy. Manual pressure management is also required to trim the aircraft properly in flight.

While the airship in cruise configuration is surprisingly fast, the real interesting part is slow precision flying using the vectored thrust. Without aerodynamical lift or engines providing additional lift, the airship would sink down, so by swiveling the engines to just the right degree, it can be brought to a stop in mid-air, and from there approach speed can be controlled with a precision of less than 1 kt while sinkrate can be controlled to at least 10 ft/min. Naturally, this requires to take the wind into account very carefully, and flying in gusty winds ceases to be fun pretty rapidly.

Maneuvering the Zeppelin is actually a bit easier than flying a helicopter, as there is no torque to compensate, and yet it is possible to land on every spot a helicopter can reach (provided there's space for the gas bag).

My personal wishlist

I'd like to see some effort in texturing the model better. Just replacing monochromatic colors by anything that looks like real materials or putting some more detail on the gas bag would make a real lot of difference.

Things to experience

The fact that the engines can be vectored, but that thrust at all three engines can be reversed by changing propeller blade pitch also allows for some rather brutal maneuvering which neither airplanes nor helicopters can do in quite the same way - when being high in the air, try vectoring all engines down but reverse pitch so that the thrust is down - this makes for some very quick descent, the airship is literally pushed down to the ground (I have no idea if that's according to the book - I suspect it isn't...).
Thorsten

Postby Oscar » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:21 am

Very nice reviews again Thorsten! I'll make one video review for both these planes (on YouTube September 30).
Hehe a heli and a zeppelin.. I'll need to practice my flying skills for this one :P
Oscar

Postby AndersG » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:44 pm

Thanks for the nice review. :)
It is work in (slow) progress like the rest of my aircraft.

For pressure airships the maximum rate of descent is determined by the ability to get enough air back into the ballonets to keep the pressure at the right level. The blower capacity is not tuned on the ZLT-NT, but if the pressure alarm goes off you should reduce the rate of descent.

Cheers,

Anders
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Callsign: SE-AG

Postby Oscar » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:50 pm

EC-135 and Zeppelin NT video reviews.

Here's the (more basic) video review I made for these two planes. As last time, I hope it'll bring more people to Thorsten's reviews or at least to FlightGear in general :wink:

Oscar

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft