Board index FlightGear Support Multiplayer

Multiplayer registration and LOGIN required

Trouble getting online, setting up a server?
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- copy&paste your commandline.

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Multiplayer registration and LOGIN required

Postby clrCoda » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:11 am

Someone flies in MY AVA0028 va callsign in the KSFO region at about UTC 23:20 to 23:50 on mpserver07 in a V22. That was not me, and I hope the person ghosting me did not offend any of the good pilots flying in the KSFO region at that time. If so, I appologize, I have no control over what names people will fly under.

A requirement for registration and login to multiplayer servers is obvious for newer flightgear versions to attain access to mpservers.

This is not cool!

Flying as someone else can bring unwanted issues to the originator of the name. I do not fly in the KSFO region for many reasons. Many others do the same, and it is well known why many of the best pilots in flightgear just typically ignore KSFO.

I suppose I can keep a plane in world always in order that some one do not ghost me.

I see this action by that pilot as an attack on the va and an attack on my good name in general.

Grow up, Bonehead!
Ray
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Re: Multiplayer registration and LOGIN required

Postby kiwi88 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:57 am

Good idea,

If it was part of the FGFS package to check user/pw that would solve spoofing issues, maybe even the reg could allow for alliases also.

anyhow, if implemented I would hope it could be disabled on private servers (while relays off) as authentication for my own private server could be a pain.

Ten points for the idea.

-Kiwi88
kiwi88

Postby DutchPilotMitchell » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:39 am

A login feature would be very helpful.
Proud to be Dutch.
DutchPilotMitchell

Callsign: mitchel
Version: 22

Postby Johan G » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:08 pm

A login feature and/or some kind of authentication seems to be needed to avoid trolling impostors.* If the bad guys show up however, I'd think the ignore check box on the pilot list is the way to go rather than banning or blocking them.

* As seen here at EDDF
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby clrCoda » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:51 pm

The ignore feature is not really a feature. It is after the fact. If for instance it ignored everyone on load, and you could switch someone on when you want them on, then this feature would not be backwards. Please follow the logic.

By the time you ignore someone, the damage is already done, you have loaded their plane, their hello message is already received, and anything that is said is on screen before you can do anything about it.

Ignore is basically ignore-rant. :)

The pilots list should start with everyone ignored, and you switch on who ever you want.

This does not really have anything to do with the need for registration and log in, that's entirely another issue.
Both issues would help to make the "in-world" a safer place.
anyway...

Ray
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby mischka » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:37 pm

I also think a login feature should be implemented. The ignore button doesnt prevent somebody flying under my callsign and me not being able to login as myself.

it would warrant that a certain user you encounter regularly actually is that person. Also it would enable to ban certain people who categorically misbehave.
Do you fly a lot in Europe? Have a look at European Virtual Airlines
Or do you fly all over the planet? Then have a look at Atlas Virtual Airlines
mischka

Callsign: EUR001

Return to Multiplayer