Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project News

Release Progress (2.4.0)

News from the ever evolving world of FlightGear.

Re: Release Progress (2.4.0)

Postby Bravo » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:52 pm

Well, my mac is getting 10-12 FPS almost everywhere. However, at TNCM the little bay thingy has like a 3 foot wall straight up from water to land, and then there is land. it's like a little dam. But here's a pic of the water reflections:
Bravo

Postby Vinura » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:54 am

Torsten wrote in Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:42 pm:Today (July 17th, 2011)

The official release is scheduled for Aug, 18th 2011.

Better change the date on the home page because it says August the 17th 2011.
Vinura

Version: GIT

Postby HanselVB » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:08 am

On my Mac the FPS is very good except at KSFO sometimes or when flying certain aircraft, e.g. the CRJ-700 family, the C172P or when looking around in the(highly detailed) cockpit of most aircraft, FPS drops, which didn't happen in 2.0.0...
Nothing better than the elegance of flying.
HanselVB

Version: 240

Postby Kabuki » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:43 am

ThorstenB wrote in Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:31 pm:Yes, Tristar, the replay system needs improvements. That's larger task which has been discussed several times already. But that's not going to happen for FG2.4.0, sorry. :roll:

I really liked the ability to resume control from an arbitrary point in a replay that existed in 2.0. I discovered it by accident, by resetting while in a replay, then hitting 'pp' to end the replay. It simply resumed normal control from that point in the replay.
This is a family-friendly saloon. No talk stink.
Kabuki

Location: Usually on the ground, always in the sky, except when underwater.
Callsign: Kabuki
Version: 3.0.0

Postby Kabuki » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:52 am

ThorstenB wrote in Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:08 pm:Runway lights are already fixed. The latest release canidate already provides a new option in the menu: "View" => "Rendering" dialog. Disable "point-sprites" in the dialog, if runway lights aren't working for you, then restart fgfs. According to reports so far, it's working for everyone who had issues earlier.

Hmm... disabling them in fgrun had no effect? I found this topic by searching for 'runway lights' after having them work with v20110516. It was quite a surprise, because on two machines I've used which have ATI cards, they didn't work. But the other day I was flying in 'dusk' conditions, and to my surprise, ... what a beautiful sight! Then yesterday, they worked again at a different airport. BUT later attempts without changing configuration, I couldn't get them to work. It seems like both times they did, I was lined up with the runway more than 5 miles out, right on glideslope.

Anyway, it'll take me another day to download 2.4 setup. Keeping my fingers crossed, because I love to land at night.
Kabuki

Postby truthsolo » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:57 am

v20110516 did not have the fix enabled—lights would only appear at very specific angles for ATI users—2.4 has the fix and it should work for you. I love night ops as well, and am using ATI HD5830 :)
Rob — IRC: truthsolo — I used to run mpserver16.flightgear.org (Kansas City, MO)
Good hunting!
truthsolo

Callsign: C-FBAR, Snapper
IRC name: truthsolo
Version: git

Postby drdavid » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:44 am

I'm new to the Forum but have been flying FlightGear since the beginning of 2011. I have the Saitek Proflight Yoke & Throttle Quadrant system. I had to revise the existing XML file in FG 2.0.0 to get them to function. In testing 2.4.0 rc4 and rc5, the Saitek file has not been modified from the 2.0.0 version. Since my modified XML file does work in rc4 and rc5, I'd be more than happy to forward it to the right person working on the Input files for the 2.4.0 release. Just let me know.
drdavid

Callsign: SkyBoat
Version: 3.2.0

Postby ThorstenB » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:15 am

David, I thought Saitek yokes should work, since a number of people use them. But it's possible that there are slightly different versions - somtimes they change the exact spelling of the product name/model etc.

Unfortunately it's too late now for including this in FG2.4.0, we're already preparing the final binaries. But if there's a problem with the joystick, you should make sure it's updated for the next release. You could post the updated joystick file here in the forum (create a topic in the support forum), so other people can use it. Or, to make sure this is included in the next release, open a ticket in our bug tracker or send the update to the flightgear-devel list (see "bugs" or "mailing lists" in the forum menu above).

cheers,
Thorsten
ThorstenB

Callsign: D-TB7

Postby durk » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:54 pm

ThorstenB wrote in Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:15 am:David, I thought Saitek yokes should work, since a number of people use them. But it's possible that there are slightly different versions - somtimes they change the exact spelling of the product name/model etc.

Just a quick comment: As a saitek user, the stick works fine for me, and IIRC one of the latest updates to the stick's configuration were done by me. But, currently the stick has a linux configuration only. Due to a quirck in operating systems design, Windows assigns different axis (and possibly also button) numbers than linux and/or mac do (maybe the mac even has it's own configurato; I'm not sure). For my previous job, I once made an updated configuration file for a group of students' research course, which supported both the windows and linux axis and button assignments). Unfortunately, the guy's computer crashed before I could salvage the appropriate config file and without a working windows system it was really tricky to rebuild it. :-(

I would be happy to integrate the windows configuration with my own linux bindings, so feel free to post your config file somewhere, or just get in touch by email (just send me a PM if you need my address).

Unfortunately, it's too late to get this into the official release, but nevertheless it would be a welcome contribution.

Cheers,
Durk
durk

Callsign: PH-DRK
Version: git

Postby Kabuki » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:05 pm

truthsolo wrote in Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:57 am:v20110516 did not have the fix enabled—lights would only appear at very specific angles for ATI users—2.4 has the fix and it should work for you. I love night ops as well, and am using ATI HD5830 :)

Yes, it seemed to be very dependent on the angle. It's such a beautiful sight when it works, I'm drooling over night flights...

Hehe, I just took my first flight in rc5 in a dragonfly over PMDY. Very pleasing indeed.

HOWEVER: I had a bit of trouble installing it... in fact I started the post to report that the installer doesn't work. Well, it does, it just doesn't seem to be doing anything for a long, long time. The task manager reported that it was not responding, the progress bar wasn't showing anything. It might be a good idea to warn users from the installer that it will take a long time, with no indication of progress... Let it run, leave it alone, it's working.

Skydome filtering is a little better, but I still get sky blackouts at times. I've seen it on an nVidia powered computer, and it's very cool.

OK, enough yaking. I'm going flying. THANKS TO ALL -- YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE.
Kabuki

Postby Zexe » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:51 am

ThorstenB wrote in Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:11 pm:Unfortunately I'm unable to reproduce the "jumping mouse axis" issue (doesn't happen on Linux). But I have pushed an experimental patch and I need someone to test this on Windows. If you saw the issue, please see here:
http://code.google.com/p/flightgear-bug ... id=359#c19 (comment 19).

Remember, it's normal for the mouse cursor to jump to the center - but it's not normal for an axis to move at the same time.

Let me know if the patch has changed/fixed the issue.

Tried it again, but the boundaries of the mouse are still hot and even worse nothing is illustrated on the console, just the "running main loop."
Zexe
AIRPORTS: CYYJ, KHAF, RJTT, KEYW
PLANES: m33, grob115, pa22, Goose, MD-81, Velocity-XL, Rallye, F-5E Tiger II, Bocian,
Zexe

Postby ThorstenB » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:04 am

Zexe wrote in Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:51 am:Tried it again, but the boundaries of the mouse are still hot and even worse nothing is illustrated on the console, just the "running main loop."

When the mouse is switched to flight control mode, it is normal that the mouse cursor is recentered whenever it touches an (invisible) screen boundary - otherwise the mouse cursor would get stuck at the window edges and flight controls couldn't be moved in any direction. The "jumping axis" issue should be fixed though. A few people have confirmed the latest patch to work. However, the patch was not part of the final release-candidate yet, but the release will contain it. Providing debug output seemed too tricky for Windows, since the size of the console is limited and the "info log level" seems to be way too fast.
ThorstenB

Callsign: D-TB7

Postby Zexe » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:30 am

ThorstenB wrote in Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:04 am:
Zexe wrote in Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:51 am:Tried it again, but the boundaries of the mouse are still hot and even worse nothing is illustrated on the console, just the "running main loop."

When the mouse is switched to flight control mode, it is normal that the mouse cursor is recentered whenever it touches an (invisible) screen boundary - otherwise the mouse cursor would get stuck at the window edges and flight controls couldn't be moved in any direction. The "jumping axis" issue should be fixed though. A few people have confirmed the latest patch to work. However, the patch was not part of the final release-candidate yet, but the release will contain it. Providing debug output seemed too tricky for Windows, since the size of the console is limited and the "info log level" seems to be way too fast.

I apologize, i did not realize I had to download the files linked. I will reinstall those files and check.

EDIT: The patch has worked. Thanks!
Zexe
AIRPORTS: CYYJ, KHAF, RJTT, KEYW
PLANES: m33, grob115, pa22, Goose, MD-81, Velocity-XL, Rallye, F-5E Tiger II, Bocian,
Zexe

Postby Kabuki » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:21 pm

Whenever I fly in multiplayer mode, I get a steady stream of "FGMultiplayMgr::MP_ProcessData: No such file or directory " messages. These are explained in the wiki as being generated when a plane is in the area for which there is no model on the local system. But I'm getting them in the middle of nowhere now, in a steady, constant stream. They cause more important messages to scroll off the screen. They're probably slowing things down, too.

(this is with 2.4.0rc5)
Last edited by Kabuki on Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kabuki

Postby Curtis » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:36 am

there is a bug with the 2.4.0 RC5 under windows XP pro SP3 :

everytime I launch flightgear a windows prompt is showed, this windows says "there is no disc in drive, please insert a disc in drive I:" ( I: is my DVD-rom drive ), it's impossible to go further even if I press the "cancel button", the same windows prompt is showed again,

the only solution is to insert a CD-rom or DVD-rom , then flightgear can continue his loading, it's a strange bug,

my configuration:

- windows xp pro sp3 32 bits
- ati radeon HD4650
- pentium dual core 3.33 Ghz
- gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L ( intel P31 chipset motherboard )

it's the same bug here :

http://code.google.com/p/flightgear-bug ... 0Milestone
Curtis

PreviousNext

Return to News