Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Airbus A310-300 (download link in first post)

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Airbus A310-300 (download link in first post)

Postby icecode » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:27 pm

More work on the cockpit:

Cockpit shell is "finished" but more details are needed. Primitive overhead panel added too.

But I need some opinion from the FDM experts. I've been testing with a JSB FDM, and I could see that it is really different from YAsim. YAsim calculates how is the aircraft from the geometry you enter, while the data is precalculated in JSB (correct me if I am wrong please). So my question is, which FDM adjust better to an airliner, with some realism, YAsim or JSBsim? I know JSB is more accurate than YAsim, and YAsim is sometimes inferior, but an A310 swimming in the sea isn't what I want!

Thanks,
Icecode.
icecode

Version: next

Postby icecode » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:49 pm

New updates to cockpit:

Added letters and lightmaps for the texts and for the main panel.
icecode

Postby Omega » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:27 am

Today i finished the Mahan air livery:

Next step is going to be a new splash screen and SATA international airlines livery.
The engine is the heart of an aeroplane, but the pilot is its soul.
Omega

Callsign: Star,EHAA_CT,MIA0176
IRC name: Omega
Version: GIT

Postby jonsberndt » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:13 am

Icecode GL wrote in Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:27 pm:More work on the cockpit:
But I need some opinion from the FDM experts. I've been testing with a JSB FDM, and I could see that it is really different from YAsim. YAsim calculates how is the aircraft from the geometry you enter, while the data is precalculated in JSB (correct me if I am wrong please). So my question is, which FDM adjust better to an airliner, with some realism, YAsim or JSBsim? I know JSB is more accurate than YAsim, and YAsim is sometimes inferior, but an A310 swimming in the sea isn't what I want!
Thanks,
Icecode.

It's not the fault of JSBSim if the aircrat is swimming in the sea. That would be the pilot's fault. ;-) The JSBSim flight model needs to be informed of the terrain under the aircraft. I think someone else knows how to do that - I have not done it.

If you have good flight test data JSBSim would be a good choice. Also, you can visit the DATCOM+ web site and download the free version and see if that gives you good data: http://www.holycows.net/datcom. If you want something quick and have only some performance data, YASim might be a good choice for you.

JSBSim and DATCOM+ are both under heavy development. JSBSim has been under development for almost 15 years, now!

Jon

www.facebook.com/jsbsim
Jon S. Berndt
Development Coordinator
JSBSim Project
http://www.JSBSim.org
http://www.facebook.com/jsbsim
jonsberndt

Postby icecode » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:03 am

Hello Jon,

Thanks a lot of for the info. Something I like from JSBsim, is that it is always in development, while YAsim is abandoned. We will maybe switch to JSBsim, and thanks again for the DATCOM website, as I didn't know it.

Icecode.
icecode

Postby icecode » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:49 am

Progress in the overhead panel:

Textured and lightmapped for night flying. The next step is to create switches and animate them.
icecode

Postby icecode » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:48 pm

Created the light control switches in the overhead and animated them. They are switching on/off the lights properly :) Manual start is the next objective. Any feedback? Any comments? Something we can improve/correct? I will be glad if so! :D
icecode

Postby Boeing » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:58 pm

The one in real life looks more Fat and stubby or is it just me?
Also the the nose cone in FG is not exactly in line with the body, in real life it looks more in line/smoother. Though the rest is awesome!
Won't be doing much anymore....
Boeing

Callsign: Boeing, MIA0029
Version: 24

Postby icecode » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:11 pm

About the fat... uhmm... it matches almost exactily the measurements of the real A310 fuselage. And about the nose cone, yes, it is a known "bug", but I am not really good correcting those type of errors.

Is it better like this?

icecode

Postby truthsolo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:33 pm

Feedback/requests:

Map all objects for textures and update the paintkit :) I'd like to do the CF liveries, but they require painting some unmapped pieces.

Update your git repo with the JSB version and latest changes so we can test & provide more/better feedback.. Also, great work! The interior is coming along quite nicely..
Rob — IRC: truthsolo — I used to run mpserver16.flightgear.org (Kansas City, MO)
Good hunting!
truthsolo

Callsign: C-FBAR, Snapper
IRC name: truthsolo
Version: git

Postby icecode » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:34 pm

Hello truthsolo,

Are there some unmapped pieces? Didn't notice that :o I think they are all mapped, but... to remap all again, make a new paintkit, make new liveries is a bit... HARD. :)

We will update the GIT repo as soon as I clean this mess heheh (tomorrow). But it is still not JSB, we will may change in the next next release. I might think this more... relaxed :)

Thanks for feedback!
icecode

Postby truthsolo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:08 pm

I know re-mapping the entire model would be a great deal of work, but there are only a few missing pieces which could probably be added to empty spots in the paintkit (besides antenna—which aren't a big deal, but I'll take 'em if you map 'em). :D

Not mapped, but should be:
  • Back
  • EngineChrome
  • Slats1
  • Slats2
  • Slats2.001
  • RRDoor
  • LRDoor
  • vstabhang
Mapped, but some surfaces are not in the right place:
  • RFDoor
  • RRDoor
Mapped, but surfaces are skewed (across entire texture):
  • LWingDoor
  • RWingDoor
cheers (& thanks!),

Rob
Rob — IRC: truthsolo — I used to run mpserver16.flightgear.org (Kansas City, MO)
Good hunting!
truthsolo

Postby Boeing » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:21 pm

Wow the 3D model look great!
Won't be doing much anymore....
Boeing

Callsign: Boeing, MIA0029
Version: 24

Postby icecode » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:27 pm

It is normal that some objects aren't mapped:

Slats, EngineChrome and vstabhang are objects that use a chrome effect (changed in recent), so I thought that there was no need of mapping them. (Should I map them?)
Back object is textured, maybe it wasn't in the previous version, but it is now. I don't remember. :P

The landing gear doors are something I need to remap, they are bit "messy", but I will surely remap them to be in the right position.

Thanks for reporting those issues!
icecode

Postby truthsolo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:51 pm

I guess if they use the chrome effect now they'll look good—I'll make the CF livery when you post your changes and see what it looks like :D Thanks!
Good hunting!
truthsolo

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft