Board index FlightGear Support Hardware

Dual Monitor - 1 view outside (ahead), 1 view instruments

Joysticks, pedals, monitors.

Dual Monitor - 1 view outside (ahead), 1 view instruments

Postby BETELGEUSE58 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:15 am

Hi

I am trying to set up FlightGear as follows.

I have dual monitors. In MS FSX I like to use one monitor (the smaller of two) as the instrument panel. The other larger monitor I have as the view outside the cockpit straight ahead. (IE: I have a dedicated instrument panel and do not want to span across with the outside view, or the instruments.) I do this by undocking the instrument panel and moving to another screen and then resizing and full screening in MS FSX.

I have found where to do this in Flight Gear from a bit of reading. I need to edit the preferences.xml file in \FlightGear\data

I see the code I need to put in and where in relation to the tags.

I do not know how to edit the file to do what I am looking for though. Every example I find spans across multiple monitors (with both inst and outside view). I want my instruments separate from my outside view.

If anyone has done this successfully I would greatly appreciate the code.

Having a look at the sim, I am basically after cockpit view without the instruments showing on one screen and maybe 2D cockpit showing only on the other screen. Something similar to that.

I am using Win 7 64, nVidia GTS250 and nVidia 6150.

I can connect the monitors both to the 250 or leave them on separate video cards, either way is fine if someone can help.

Any help appreciated as I like the way this sim runs (smooth) and the flight physics feel more real to me.

I haven't flown in a few years and have GFPT (Australia). I am about to go back and get my full PPL and really like using sims to reinforce procedures.

Thank you
BETELGEUSE58
BETELGEUSE58

Re: Dual Monitor - 1 view outside (ahead), 1 view instrument

Postby ranger8 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:52 pm

did you ever find a way to do this? Thats what I want too!
ranger8

Postby Talmid » Tue May 31, 2011 6:32 pm

BUMP

Me too... :wink:
Dain Bramaged...
Talmid

Version: 2020.3.11

Postby Talmid » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:03 am

This becomes ever more interesting since I purchased a 32" HDTV Monitor. So, is there multiple monitor support in FG?
Dain Bramaged...
Talmid

Postby Talmid » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:39 am

OK, now I'm certain that FG supports multiple monitors and views (at least in Linux/Unix). 8) This photo is from the FlightGear Newsletter May 2011. About 3/4 of the way down the page under the heading, LinuxTag 2011. Now all we need to know is how to configure multiple monitors and views for Windoze. :wink:

Wow, I am sooooo envious.

Dain Bramaged...
Talmid

Postby Gijs » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:17 pm

It's pretty simple to do (though finetuning it can take a while). You do need a "strong" computer though, as it needs to render twice, thrice or even more as much...

For more info about Torsten's setup (the one in your pic), see http://wiki.flightgear.org/FSweekend_20 ... tion_files
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Talmid » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:13 am

Thanks Gijs,

I get what you are saying about a strong computer. As it stands, running multiple programs along with FG (including VLC streaming video) with two monitors has been OK. I suspect I will get a little hesitation from time to time, but I'm willing to chance it.

Thanks for the links. It seems like all I do is study since I installed FG. Still, this is BIG fun. Thanks again!
Dain Bramaged...
Talmid

Return to Hardware