Board index FlightGear Development New features

flightgear supporting directx graphics  Topic is solved

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

flightgear supporting directx graphics

Postby abin95 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:38 pm

if the flightgear could support directx graphics and opengl (he/she can choose which one is best suited for his/her computer) then more people can access flightgear/bigger community.
abin95

Re: flightgear supporting directx graphics  

Postby kyokoyama » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:00 am

...but that'd be extremely hard, since I think it'll require a complete redo of the FG code.

DirectX is a proprietary system by Microsoft, whereas OpenGL is open source, sadly. (though... If this really was feasible, then you're right, it'd be a great idea)
Look for "B-BIRD" "N127KY" or "AVA0004" -that's me.

Despite having over 1700 posts here, I am not even close to being the most skilled guy here... I'm just words and bad drawing, not experience. :P
kyokoyama

Callsign: B-BIRD, N127KY
Version: 2.12.1

Postby curt » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:18 am

Because FlightGear supports Linux, MacOS *and* Windows, and because in the past we have supported sgi, solaris, and freebsd (and probably still work on those platforms) we made a conscious decision to base our sim on OpenGL because OpenGL is cross platform and supported on just about every computer out there. Now you can even find it on many cell phone and tablets (i.e. android.) Many embedded system manufacturers (like gumstix for ex.) are starting to include opengl support.

My sense is that most games or demos that let the user select opengl vs. directx are built on a "game engine" that supports this concept. The actual game doesn't have to do anything itself. FlightGear uses OSG as it's "game" or "graphics" engine and as far as I know, that is opengl only.
curt
Administrator

Postby abin95 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:03 pm

guess it wont happen =/, thx guys guys anyway :P
abin95

Postby mike4lin » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:51 am

Even obsolete, as people like myself run directx apps with WINE on Linux.
mike4lin

Return to New features