Board index FlightGear Support Multiplayer

Max Mach  Topic is solved

Trouble getting online, setting up a server?
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- copy&paste your commandline.

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Max Mach

Postby Merik » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:25 am

Sorry for asking a FG Tracker question here (rather than their own forum, which appears not to be active), but in the "Flight Details" section of this flight, I don't understand what Max Mach means. Given that max ground speed is 109knots, and Mach number is 661.5 knots, it shouldn't be the ratio of ground speed to Mach number. Do you know what it is then?
I'm using FlightGear Git version on a Win 7 machine with an onboard ATI graphic card and 3 GB of RAM.

These are the link I've found useful: Types of AirspeedE6B emulatorAirspaces explained with examples
Merik

Re: Max Mach

Postby skyop » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:40 am

"Max Mach" is the maximum Mach speed that FG tracker thinks you flew at. In practice, it tends to be a lot higher than you expect, because network glitches can cause the tracker to miss some tracker points and so you "jump" at a high speed. (Essentially, lag.)
Aircraft: [ CRJ700-family | DC-10-30 ] Scenery: [ KBFL ]
skyop

IRC name: skyop
Version: next

Postby Merik » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:52 pm

Then how is it possible that the tracker thought I've flown at 0.9 Mach with my Cessna 172, but at the same time, my maximum ground speed was no more than 109knots?!
I'm using FlightGear Git version on a Win 7 machine with an onboard ATI graphic card and 3 GB of RAM.

These are the link I've found useful: Types of AirspeedE6B emulatorAirspaces explained with examples
Merik

Postby Gijs » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:43 pm

Did you reposition the aircraft during your flight (eg. restart at another airport, or in air)?
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Merik » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:59 pm

No; it was one continuous flight.

Merik

Postby skyop » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:08 am

Merik wrote in Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:52 pm:Then how is it possible that the tracker thought I've flown at 0.9 Mach with my Cessna 172, but at the same time, my maximum ground speed was no more than 109knots?!

Look closely:

I wrote:it tends to be a lot higher than you expect, because network glitches can cause the tracker to miss some tracker points and so you "jump" at a high speed. (Essentially, lag.)
Aircraft: [ CRJ700-family | DC-10-30 ] Scenery: [ KBFL ]
skyop

IRC name: skyop
Version: next

Postby Merik » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:44 am

Oh I missed the "jump" part. So yeah, you're right. In the beginning of the tracking data, my altitude is recorded as -9999 for a moment and then it is back to ground altitude of the origin airport. This jump shouldn't have been recorded by FG Tracker, but apparently my system had a lag in loading FG which caused this information to be passed to FG Tracker.

Merik

Return to Multiplayer