Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project News

Developer Snapshot Releases

News from the ever evolving world of FlightGear.

Re: Developer Snapshot Releases

Postby redneck » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:12 pm

Flightgear_captain wrote in Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:47 am:Just a problem: when I run the setup, there is a stupid dialog that says that the setup files are corrupted. :evil: Could somebody help? I DON'T want to redownload, takes 5 hrs on my computer. :cry: I really want to try out the newest FG eye candy!

To avoid this problem in the future, please SAVE the installer, instead of running it.
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby Flightgear_captain » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:20 am

I use Firefox.

btw Redownloaded. Works!!! Now i FINALLY have git! :D Great work. Thanks!
Life's only understandable backwards, but you have to live it forwards. (found in a youtube video)

Check out some of my cool video goodies here
Flightgear_captain

Callsign: VH-FGS, G-STIG, STIG
Version: Git

Postby HHS » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:09 pm

Flightgear_captain wrote in Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:20 am:I use Firefox.

btw Redownloaded. Works!!! Now i FINALLY have git! :D Great work. Thanks!

No, you haven't GIT. You have just a unofficial 2.2.0 Beta.
Up, up and away
HHS

Version: GIT

Postby redneck » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:12 pm

You know, I'm pretty sure Firefox just saves downloads to your download folder. Anyway, that's good news.
HHS wrote in Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:09 pm:No, you haven't GIT. You have just a unofficial 2.2.0 Beta.

Now, how is this not the same thing as Git? Are you saying that these snapshots will no longer be released after 2.2.0 is released, which I think is kinda late, btw. It's February.
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby HHS » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:30 pm

redneck wrote in Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:12 pm:Now, how is this not the same thing as Git? Are you saying that these snapshots will no longer be released after 2.2.0 is released, which I think is kinda late, btw. It's February.

GIT is the name for the fast Version control system we use to develope FlightGear and many related projects like aircraft, the manual etc...
Before GIT we used CVS (Concurrent Version System).

People here saying using GIT just mean that they pull/push etc. things per GIT to/from our repository to keep being update- that also means that they need some additional software like mysGIT or TortoiseGIT.
Curt provides a complete snapshot of the whole current FlightGear project which is comparable in function and including a similar selection of aircrafts like the last release 2.0.0.
Nethertheless you have very good preview of 2.2.0, just maybe some bugs.

It depends on Curt if he wants provide snapshots after we have officially release 2.2.0. Maybe it is even possible in near future to make it automatically by our Build-Server
Up, up and away
HHS

Postby curt » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:38 pm

If you download this snapshot, you have the most recent contents of the git repository, the latest code and data. Technically you don't have the "git" tool set or the entire git repository, just the latest versions of everything that is compiled and ready to run on windows ...
curt
Administrator

Postby longfly » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:12 pm

Oh, I am using GIT too! I installed it with this sh: http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/Scripted_Compilation_on_Linux_Debian/Ubuntu
But I don't use any Git-programs like mysGIT or TortoiseGIT. And I didn't find them in the Ubuntu-repositories! Are they working with linux and which one is the best? I am updating my FG with sh download_and_compile.sh FGFS UPDATE
longfly

Version: always new

Postby HHS » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:45 pm

longfly wrote in Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:12 pm:But I don't use any Git-programs like mysGIT or TortoiseGIT. And I didn't find them in the Ubuntu-repositories! Are they working with linux and which one is the best? I am updating my FG with sh download_and_compile.sh FGFS UPDATE

GIT is so much as I know linux-native.
The named script makes already use of it.
Up, up and away
HHS

Postby skyop » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:06 am

No, AFAIK these are Windows-only. Linux users usually go the old-fashioned way.
Aircraft: [ CRJ700-family | DC-10-30 ] Scenery: [ KBFL ]
skyop

IRC name: skyop
Version: next

Postby Flightgear_captain » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:34 am

:evil: :evil:

My computer had to be factory-reset after a hard-drive failure. :( Now, i must go through 5 F***ing DAYS of redownloading. Sorry about the shouting. I hate that, when an important installer file is lost.

ps i forgot to backup. oops. :oops:
Life's only understandable backwards, but you have to live it forwards. (found in a youtube video)

Check out some of my cool video goodies here
Flightgear_captain

Callsign: VH-FGS, G-STIG, STIG
Version: Git

Postby curt » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:55 pm

In my original post in this thread I mentioned that I would be doing a small test of "open-candy" as part of these developer snap shot releases. You can google "open candy" if you really want to learn a lot more about it, but basically it's a software suggestion system that wires into our installer ... when you install our software you get a suggestion for another free package. You have to manually opt in, so it's not something that flies under the radar and surprises you later. I just wanted to state that my testing of this installer add on is winding down and I am concluding that at this time, open-candy is not a good fit for the flightgear project.

Here are some observation:

1. Rate of return is abysmal. It's a lot harder to get someone to download a 400Mb package and install it than to take a look at a google ad on a web site. Also the ramifications of installing an extra piece of software are much greater than just following an ad link from a web site to check it out. Yet the open-candy payout for a package install is far less than a google adsense click on average. Open-candy may dispute that, but their payout system depends on who installs what packages and my effective rate of return was not impressive.

2. Their software selections suck. (If I can use that word.) I don't want to suggest a package that will install annoying cruft into your browser ... that's the center of the user experience these days and we don't need more junk to wade through on screen. At least half of their packages were browser plugins designed to show you more ads or coupons or get you to search with some other search engine than you probably want to be using. (probably leading to that search engine suggesting more ads you probably didn't need to see.) Another large portion of the "free" packages they offer are related to registry or driver optimization. Again, I don't want to be suggesting packages that will be modifying people's computers at a system level. These system tools are probably unnecessary for most people and if you do have a problem then go get some help or you can go find one of these free system tuneup packages on your own if you think you need it. What packages remain after you remove these broad categories are pretty slim picking and pay less than a penny per install.

My plan is to make all future developer snapshot releases open-candy free. I've probably made 2 or 3 dollars during this test and as far as I'm concerned they can keep it ... I've now wasted way too much time on this mis-adventure!

Thanks for your patience.

Curt.
curt
Administrator

Postby Quadunit404 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:18 pm

Apparently OpenCandy installs adware on your PC without your consent. Good thing you decided not to include it in any further installers.
Quadunit404

Postby curt » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:37 pm

Quadunit404 wrote in Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:18 pm:Apparently OpenCandy installs adware on your PC without your consent. Good thing you decided not to include it in any further installers.

It doesn't actually install anything without your consent ... but I don't like adware either so I took that out of the pool of suggestions once they gave developers the option to select which packages were suggested.

It could still be an interesting system if they grew to the point to where they offered a few interesting/useful software packages. But it doesn't seem like they are quite there yet.

Curt.
curt
Administrator

Postby Jetman. » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:02 am

I haven't played Flightgear in months. So to get back into it, I downloaded the Snapshot.....WOW, IT"S STINKIN' AWESOME. Time to start playing FG again.

Now, I just have to import my Atlas data...

Very Impressive! Kudos to the FG developers and all who contributed to make this possible. :D
Favorite Aircraft: Pretty much all military aircraft.

FG videos on YouTube! Choose the FlightGear playlist!
http://www.youtube.com/user/ParasiteQueen1

SPECS
8GB RAM 1600Mhz DDR3
AMD A8-5500 Quad @ 3.2Ghz Turbo 3.7Ghz
Zotac GTX 750Ti 2GB GDDR5
Jetman.

Callsign: Jetman
Version: 3.2

Postby curt » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:55 pm

Hi,

I just posted the most recent developers snapshot release. It is available for download here:

http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/ ... 110224.exe

Check out all the new stuff since the v2.0 release!
curt
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to News