Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

KLAX Los Angeles Airport... Final Download Available Now

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: KLAX Los Angeles Airport... Terminals for download here

Postby MD-Terp » Thu May 29, 2008 8:39 am

Alex, the speed at which you work impresses the living shit out of me, pardon the language but a watered-down expression just doesn't do my amazement justice. I don't know if it's just a matter of how much time you have to devote, or else you're just that talented that an hour's work for you gets so much further than an hour for me, but it's almost depressing how fast you are. :) Still, it motivates me to get back to work on Baltimore and DC.

Statto, FYI, I am working on the Mid-Atlantic East Coast USA, so check with me before you do anything over this way. But since I work so much slower than Alex, if there's something you want to tackle that I haven't started yet, I'll defer to you unless it's *REALLY* a pet favorite of mine. KMTN and KMRB are mine, I've called dibs, LOL. If someone beats me to KIAD and KDCA, so be it.
Cheers,
-Rob.

"Retired" from FlightGear involvement as of July 2010.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8809
MD-Terp

Callsign: N531MD, AVA0025

Postby Hooray » Thu May 29, 2008 5:11 pm

This is indeed absolutely fascinating, I was already starting to figure that he must have previous 3D modeling experience, otherwise this magnitude of productivity is hard to explain, or is SketchUp indeed that much better/easier/more intuitive than Blender?

In fact, if things are progressing like this, there won't be many valid excuses left, as to why KLAX shouldn't become the default airport for the next release of FlightGear! Indeed, this might be a good idea to help provide more publicity for such projects, i.e. by temporarily changing the defaults for some releases, possibly just pre-releases? This could be done for both, the standard airport, as well as standard aircraft!
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Gijs » Thu May 29, 2008 5:24 pm

Hooray wrote:This is indeed absolutely fascinating, I was already starting to figure that he must have previous 3D modeling experience, otherwise this magnitude of productivity is hard to explain, or is SketchUp indeed that much better/easier/more intuitive than Blender?

SketchUp is so much simpler than Blender. Everyone thinks Blender is better, but for stuff like this SketchUp is way better. Using the push/pull tool and the Google Earth aerial pictures modeling buildings was never so easy. Try it yourself!

Hooray wrote:In fact, if things are progressing like this, there won't be many valid excuses left, as to why KLAX shouldn't become the default airport for the next release of FlightGear! Indeed, this might be a good idea to help provide more publicity for such projects, i.e. by temporarily changing the defaults for some releases, possibly just pre-releases? This could be done for both, the standard airport, as well as standard aircraft!

We already have our main-airport KSFO, which we should keep I think. Switching airports every release isn't a great idea, because we need to change all documentation refering to KSFO as default airport. A better solution is providing ATC at these airports so more people will come and fly there. As you could read in another topic I'm already working on the San Francisco bay area (including KSFO). No matter what happens, KLAX will become a very bussy airport, because it's a very nice flight from KSFO to KLAX. More people will take a look there with these wonderfull buildings made by Alex.

Gijs
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby MaverickAlex » Thu May 29, 2008 8:01 pm

sketchup is WAY easier than blender, the interface for Blender is just mind boggling. I had no modelling experience up until 2 months ago when i started messing with it, so thats how easy it is to learn, plus there are some great tutorials on youtube.

I agree with Gijs that KSFO shoould stay as the default as the documentation would be a pain to change.

Some of you may wonder how much time i spend doing the models, it is a lot of hours per day, from 7 or 8 am till 10 or 11 pm sometimes.

I have a serious illness which means i'm housebound for weeks at a time and after Chemo sick as a dog, this project has kept me smiling and provides a welcome release.

Here is todays addition to the KLAX fold.

Sorry if its difficult to keep up having to download different files each day.

i have grouped all i have done so far in one file to dpwnload now,
If you have downloaded previously i would suggest you download this full file, as some of the positions have changed fractionally.

I have added today,

Tom Bradley International terminal

here is the full download containing:

terminals, 4.5 and six
tom bradley international
atc tower
encounter restaraunt
Skyroad.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ywkg2tyvtz0

I'll be doing more and more as i can.

:D
http://www.atlasvirtualairlines.com
Modeller of: TNCM TBPB MDPP TFFF TJSJ FMEE TKPK TFFG TQPF KLAX KATL EGNJ EGGW APACHE, EUROFIGHTER, HP VICTOR, DHC8
FGcom 122.75
creator Terragear GUI
MaverickAlex

Postby statto » Fri May 30, 2008 7:47 am

Well you have been doing a great job so far. Thanks for your hard work.
Custom Scenery available from http://www.stattosoftware.com/flightgear
statto

Postby Gijs » Fri May 30, 2008 3:26 pm

It's really great Alex! I downloaded the last file now and it looks wonderfull! As you might knew I never saw the terrain around KLAX. I redownloaded the terrain file and now I do see it. I think you made the railings of the skyroads a little to hight (see pic below).

I couldn't resist to try to make the lightingpylons that welcomes you at KLAX, so I made them.
The colors are changing every 10 seconds. But I don't know what's the usual lighting-order of the colors (I could add every color, but what are the colors?), so I just made something. Anyone knows?
I placed my pylons corretly using GPS data, but as you see your skyroad is going through one of the pylons. You might have to change or reposition your road...
If you want I could send you the pylons so you could add them to your scenery. If you want it, I would like to add them myself to the scenery database (because of my name will be connected to it ;) ).

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Image 4

Image 5
Last edited by Gijs on Fri May 30, 2008 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gijs

Postby MaverickAlex » Fri May 30, 2008 3:37 pm

AWESOME :D :D :D :D :D

Fantastic job, look really good with those coloured pylons.
By all means add away send them off to be added.

There are a few little errors that need fixing, as i mentioned earlier in this thread i only intended these models to be a QUICK FIX" just so there was something there to make the KLAX a little more interesting.

But now more thngs are being added i may well go back and re-adjust some things.

Thanks for taking the time to contribute to the KLAX area, i know you are busy with your own things.

Modeller of: TNCM TBPB MDPP TFFF TJSJ FMEE TKPK TFFG TQPF KLAX KATL EGNJ EGGW APACHE, EUROFIGHTER, HP VICTOR, DHC8
FGcom 122.75
creator Terragear GUI
MaverickAlex

Postby MaverickAlex » Fri May 30, 2008 3:46 pm

Gijs could you send me the file for the Pylons please :D

I have completed the third terminal, which is on the opposite side to the others. I have strated on the central multi story car parks also and am going to do the internals so you can drive up into it hopefully and onto the roof.

I will add the file when a have a few things done, i guess a download a day can get tedious. :D

FGcom 122.75
creator Terragear GUI
MaverickAlex

Postby MaverickAlex » Fri May 30, 2008 3:57 pm

Gijs, reading up on the pylons tell me that they are capable of producing any colours from a range of 16 MILLION.

That one hell of a rainbow. :D

so i would imagine any colour you choose would be there.
FGcom 122.75
creator Terragear GUI
MaverickAlex

Postby Fahim Dalvi » Fri May 30, 2008 4:00 pm

Hi,
Nice work.....
I think it will be good in a while to provide a complete download,....

BTW:Are the textures GPL'D?
Again, This is very nice work....
Fahim Dalvi

Callsign: Fahim
Version: 2020.3.11

Postby MaverickAlex » Fri May 30, 2008 4:04 pm

yes the textures are taken from the Paris Orly which are already part of the Scenery. so there will be no problems there.

The reason i am putting the downloads in when i can is that sometimes i wont be able to do anything, so if you want what is finished at least it is there to download.
FGcom 122.75
creator Terragear GUI
MaverickAlex

Postby MaverickAlex » Fri May 30, 2008 10:44 pm

ok, so today there have been 3 editions to the KLAX Airport Scenery.
Terminal 3
Mulit story Car Park (you can drive into and up onto two levels)
and the awesome edition from Gijs of the Multi Coloured Pylons.
These have been animated to show the colours changing, as you can see from the piks he has included above.

A new release will be available in a few days with these additions on plus some minor adjustments and some more terminals.

I'll be doing some surrounding peripheral buildings to to spread the area out also.

Thanks Gijs. :D

FGcom 122.75
creator Terragear GUI
MaverickAlex

Postby MaverickAlex » Sat May 31, 2008 2:26 pm

In response to some comments the SKYroad has been re-done and moved slighlty.

heres the new look.

FGcom 122.75
creator Terragear GUI
MaverickAlex

Postby Gijs » Sat May 31, 2008 2:29 pm

Ah looking better!
I see that the textures on the LAX Pylons are missing. Have you unzipped everything together into the same directory?
Gijs

Postby Kailingkazak » Sat May 31, 2008 2:30 pm

it still looks as the light pylones are in the middle of the road... as i didn't see them on the google maps and never was in LA i don't know if that's normal or not... but it still looks a bit weird... but for the rest you made wonderfuljob!!! it's great!
Kailingkazak
Kailingkazak

Version: 2

PreviousNext

Return to Scenery