Board index FlightGear Development Google Summer of Code

FSEconomy

Project proposals, student applications and all related discussions.

FSEconomy

Postby Kaida » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:15 am

I didn't know if this is the right place to put this...

FSEconomy is an extremely immersive General Aviation economic simulation. You earn virtual money by flying jobs. FBOs are available to open and manage, aircraft can be bought or sold, and it is a highly active community. FSEconomy is totally free, and open source.

So far, the "flight client" software is available for MSFS 2002, 2004, and X, and for X-Plane. I was thinking that a client would be brilliant for FlightGear, and it would open up a whole new aspect to the flight simulation experience and community.

Unfortunately, I am no coder, only a dreamer. With this in mind, I present the notion of you coders considering taking on such a challenge. Your initial point of contact would be fseforums (dot) com.

I do so hope someone will consider this.

Thank you for reading,

Kaida (FlightGirl)
Kaida

Re: FSEconomy

Postby Johan G » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:22 pm

For now the might not be that much interest in this. When it comes to virtual airlines there seem to always have been a lack of pilots, although I might be wrong, as I have not been around on the forum for more than half a year. :|
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Groucho » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:40 pm

Johan G wrote in Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:22 pm:For now the might not be that much interest in this.

Well that does not mean that it is not a good idea. It depends how you advertise it. First I had the usual what-is-it-good-for doubts but then I recalled some of those ancient space trading games in which you earned reputation and credits by flying missions- Wing Commander, Elite, Terminus or Eve today.

So why not have an economical system attached to FlightGear in which pilots can choose a personal path?
- As an Airline pilot flying daily routes
- A bush pilot being on his own and accepting missions from a mission roaster: Fly medical equipment from A to B today, take Mr. Smith and his family on a sightseeing trip tomorrow. Operate your own small flight business and let it grow. Or as a not so nice outlaw pilot taking the not-so-legal missions (drug flying, military actions, etc.)
- Military pilots affiliated to an army taking missions
- Rescue pilots in the rescue teams
- Police pilots hunting the not so well-behaving pilots

I believe what it should have to let it be real fun is
- a rewarding system (credits as well as reputation)
- Beneficials from the reward (credits and reputation are useless if you can do nothing with these)
- a constantly updating mission roaster with all sorts of missions (plus ad-hoc missions)
- defined career paths (eg. police: low credits - high reputation, airline pilot: many credits-high reputation-but boring routine jobs, own busines: varying credits-varying reputation-interesting life,...)

The whole thing does not need to be deeply tied into FlightGear which acts as the platform.
Just a few ideas of mine.
Helis: EC130, Bo105, UH-1, R22
Twins/Jets: Aerostar, CRJ-200
Groucho

Callsign: D-HARP
Version: GIT

Postby Tuxklok » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:48 pm

It's an interesting network and concept I think, and could be fun to play with. If it is truly open source and open source friendly then I wouldn't be surprised if there is fgfs client made by someone eventually.

cheers!
The Austria Scenery Project - more info
fg-scenery-tools - gitorious | videos
fgcomgui - Open source, cross platform, gui front end for fgcom. more info

More random musings and doings can be found on my personal site. (work in progress)
Tuxklok

Callsign: Tuxklok / N1292P

Postby Trennor_ » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:40 pm

Groucho wrote in Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:40 pm:
Johan G wrote in Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:22 pm:For now the might not be that much interest in this.

Well that does not mean that it is not a good idea. It depends how you advertise it. First I had the usual what-is-it-good-for doubts but then I recalled some of those ancient space trading games in which you earned reputation and credits by flying missions- Wing Commander, Elite, Terminus or Eve today.

So why not have an economical system attached to FlightGear in which pilots can choose a personal path?
- As an Airline pilot flying daily routes
- A bush pilot being on his own and accepting missions from a mission roaster: Fly medical equipment from A to B today, take Mr. Smith and his family on a sightseeing trip tomorrow. Operate your own small flight business and let it grow. Or as a not so nice outlaw pilot taking the not-so-legal missions (drug flying, military actions, etc.)
- Military pilots affiliated to an army taking missions
- Rescue pilots in the rescue teams
- Police pilots hunting the not so well-behaving pilots

I believe what it should have to let it be real fun is
- a rewarding system (credits as well as reputation)
- Beneficials from the reward (credits and reputation are useless if you can do nothing with these)
- a constantly updating mission roaster with all sorts of missions (plus ad-hoc missions)
- defined career paths (eg. police: low credits - high reputation, airline pilot: many credits-high reputation-but boring routine jobs, own busines: varying credits-varying reputation-interesting life,...)

The whole thing does not need to be deeply tied into FlightGear which acts as the platform.
Just a few ideas of mine.

I sure support this theory of Johan's, by allowing each pilot to choose his/her own path. I think too the virtual airlines could quite buy into this -- it might provide some incentive through competition for VA pilots to get out and fly for and support their chosen VA, regardless of which one it is. Though I would hope it wouldn't turn TOO competitive and spoil the essential of "fun of flying," for which most of us, I think, participate in various aspects of FlightGear and flight sims in general. So long as each entity and pilot strove to be the best he and it can be, and not resort to back biting and attacks such as have been seen in the past amongst VAs, this could work quite fine and could be a lot of fun. As Kaida originally posted, it would take someone with good coding experience to implement it, but that wouldn't that have to be in conjunction with someone who knows economics as well? Can that be done?
trennor - Just Another Armchair Pilot

Thanks to all who have helped in the past. One day I'll return the favour.
Trennor_

Callsign: C-TREN, CHT0004
IRC name: trennor
Version: 2016.3.1

Postby Kaida » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:56 am

FSEconomy is not a virtual airline. You make your own way as you see fit. The "system" generates jobs, and that's it. I suppose you could set yourself up as scheduled operations, etc. But it is designed to be a GA economy simulation.

It is also already set up at fseconomy (dot) com.... the deal is that FlightGear would need its own connecting client to access the database at the site.

One potential setback is the airport database is based on MSFS2004. I don't know how bad an effect that will have, the actual client logging system is based on Latitude/Longitude.
Last edited by Kaida on Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaida

Postby skyop » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:58 am

Kaida wrote in Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:56 am:One potential setback is the airport database is based on MSFS2004. I don't know how bad an effect that will have, the actual client logging system is based on Latitude/Longitude.

That shouldn't be too big of a deal- FG should cover nearly every airport FS9 has. We don't have all the gates and parking positions defined, though. And FS9's airport layouts and models are far more complete than ours. :(
Aircraft: [ CRJ700-family | DC-10-30 ] Scenery: [ KBFL ]
skyop

IRC name: skyop
Version: next

Postby Kaida » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:11 am

The FSEconomy forums are full of friendly, helpful people, a family-like environment, and speaking only for myself, my operations have never been adversely affected by the operations of others. I have a bunch of little strips on which I operate FBOs, I haul jobs around in my DC-3, and just do my thing. Some folks have set up cargo or pax hubs.... some people get a 208 or what have you and just roam. However you want to fly it, you fly it.

I'm leaving this week for an around the world flight. I plan to do it in the "FSEconomy world" so I have fuel and repair costs. Ups the "reality feeling" for me. I've been "saving" virtual dollars for nine months to get ready for it. :)

I hope to see FlightGear folks. I enjoy FSE so much, I thought sure someone else would as well. :)
Kaida

Postby Tuxklok » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:18 am

Thanks for sharing Kaida, it does indeed look very interesting. I had heard of it before but never had investigated it much or realized it might be FOSS friendly. If I get bored one day I may just poke around for client code and see what is required to interface with the network. Not saying I'll actually create a client, I have a lot on my plate already with other things, but I am a very curious hack. :)

cheers!
The Austria Scenery Project - more info
fg-scenery-tools - gitorious | videos
fgcomgui - Open source, cross platform, gui front end for fgcom. more info

More random musings and doings can be found on my personal site. (work in progress)
Tuxklok

Callsign: Tuxklok / N1292P

Postby SkyWlf77 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:15 am

It is definitely something I'm interested in and I'm glad you shared, Kaida...Until FG has a client, I'll certainly be doing something with this using XP or MSFS.

Thanks!
Jason
SkyWlf77

Callsign: SkyWlf77
Version: 2

Postby simstick » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:45 am

I was flying FSeconomy in 2006 and in preparation of dumping MSFS for good asked about the server code and got no response so I am guessing the open source is not so open. The workhorse is the server so doing something from scratch for FG might be an idea.
In FlightGear anything is possible with enough time and Nasal. -Stuart 2008
Member Island Virtual Airways a Flightgear VA.
simstick

Callsign: simstick IVA010

Postby vtty0 » Thu May 31, 2012 2:28 pm

Dear community, excuse me for restoring this rare topic, but I'd like to ask you if anyone knows if there is fseconomy client for FG?
vtty0

Postby Hooray » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:35 pm

I don't think there is.
Which is however not to say, that you couldn't start creating something similar.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby m1ndgames » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:02 am

Hi!

i wasnt aware of FSEconomy when ive created this topic: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17150

at the moment, i am in "gathering" state... feel free to contribute! i will most certainly start this project in the near futute
FGjobs - Virtual Airlines & Jobs Service Tool
m1ndgames

Callsign: m1ndDE
IRC name: m1ndgames
Version: 2.6

Postby Hooray » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:56 pm

Kaida wrote in Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:56 am:It is also already set up at fseconomy (dot) com.... the deal is that FlightGear would need its own connecting client to access the database at the site.

Stevo61 wrote:. I foundd this thread while checking if FG had an FSE client yet. I'm keen to try the latest version of FG but without an FSE client there's not much point. Hope someone manages to code one up soon. :)

Just a little update: One of the FSEconomy developers got in touch with us and is currently making some first tests trying to connect FG to FSEconomy via Nasal using the new tutorial at: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Making ... from_Nasal
For more updates, please check: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=18001
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Return to Google Summer of Code