Board index FlightGear Development New features

Introducing SquawkGear

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: Introducing SquawkGear

Postby Chrison » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:26 pm

Okay, I'm having a problem getting squawkgear and sb747 talking to each other. As I said in the above message, I'm running Ubuntu Linux 10.10 with Windows 7 running in a virtual machine using VMPlayer. FlightGear and squawkgear are installed on Linux, and sb747 is installed in the Windows virtual machine. (Note: I haven't installed AVC yet... let's get squawkbox and sb747 going first!)

I have downloaded the files and installed both squawkgear and sb747 as noted above. I followed the instructions on the squawkgear.wordpress site for copying the various xml and other files to their proper places. I have not done any of the tweaking suggested throughout this thread so, thus far, this is a "vanilla" install according to the instruction on the squawkgear.wordpress site.

When I run squawkgear (in Ubuntu) I get this:

Code: Select all
SquawkGear is listening on port 1863
SquawkGear is ready. Start FlightGear and SB747 now.

I then run sb747 (Windows virtual machine) and I get this:

Failed to connect to Broker: couldn't open socket: connection refused
Looking for Broker on 127.0.0.1:1863

Btw, when I first ran sb747 the IP was set to "localhost" and I got the same "couldn't open socket" message so I changed the setup to "127.0.0.1" instead but, as you can see, that didn't work either.

So then I try running FlightGear (1.9.1) under Ubuntu with squawkgear still running on Ubuntu in the background and sb747 not running in Windows on the virtual machine. Here's the command line I'm using:

fgfs --fg-root=/usr/share/games/FlightGear --fg-scenery=/usr/share/games/FG_Scenery --aircraft=MD-81 --airport=EDDF --generic=socket,out,1,localhost,port,tcp,squawk --telnet=5900

FlightGear gets part way through loading and then segfaults with the following error message:

Audio initialization failed!
   There was an error opening the ALC device
Oops AL error after audio initialization!
Error: connect() failed in make_client_socket()
SG_IO_OUT socket creation failed
Error opening channel communication layer.
I/O Channel config failed.
Segmentation fault

Btw, in Ubuntu I have opened the firewall for port 1863 for both udp and tcp in both directions. In Windows, I have granted permission for sb747 to access the Internet in Windows Firewall.

So, what am I missing here? Any help provided will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Regards,

Chris

P.S. Btw, VATSpy does work running on Windows 7 in the virtual machine, in case that provides a bit of a clue?
"Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat!" (Jackie Gleason)
My final approach announcement: "Seats up... Trays locked... Articles stowed... Seat belts on... And may God have mercy on your souls!"
Chrison

Callsign: Chrison, AVA0066

Postby timekiller24 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:29 pm

Chrison wrote:Okay, I'm having a problem getting squawkgear and sb747 talking to each other. As I said in the above message, I'm running Ubuntu Linux 10.10 with Windows 7 running in a virtual machine using VMPlayer. FlightGear and squawkgear are installed on Linux, and sb747 is installed in the Windows virtual machine. (Note: I haven't installed AVC yet... let's get squawkbox and sb747 going first!)

I have downloaded the files and installed both squawkgear and sb747 as noted above. I followed the instructions on the squawkgear.wordpress site for copying the various xml and other files to their proper places. I have not done any of the tweaking suggested throughout this thread so, thus far, this is a "vanilla" install according to the instruction on the squawkgear.wordpress site.

When I run squawkgear (in Ubuntu) I get this:

SquawkGear is listening on port 1863
SquawkGear is ready. Start FlightGear and SB747 now.

I then run sb747 (Windows virtual machine) and I get this:

Failed to connect to Broker: couldn't open socket: connection refused
Looking for Broker on 127.0.0.1:1863

Btw, when I first ran sb747 the IP was set to "localhost" and I got the same "couldn't open socket" message so I changed the setup to "127.0.0.1" instead but, as you can see, that didn't work either.

[/code]

I'm no virtual machine expert by any means. If I were trying to run flightgear on Linux but with Vatsim and squawkgear, I would probably just have a cheap windows box to serve as the client for the windows components of this set-up to avoid the VM aggravation. In any case, it is clear that what is happening is that sb747 in your virtual machine cannot make a telnet connection with squawkbox on the linux side. What appears to be happening is that when sb747 on your virtual machine tries to make a connection with "127.0.0.1," it thinks it's looking for sb747 on the windows side, not the linux side.

Like I said, I'm not virtual machine expert -- but I think you need to find a way to get your windows virtual machine set up in a virtual network with your linux machine so they can pass packets to each other. I have no idea how to do that -- anyone else have any ideas?
timekiller24

Postby Chrison » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:04 pm

timekiller24 wrote:I'm no virtual machine expert by any means. If I were trying to run flightgear on Linux but with Vatsim and squawkgear, I would probably just have a cheap windows box to serve as the client for the windows components of this set-up to avoid the VM aggravation. In any case, it is clear that what is happening is that sb747 in your virtual machine cannot make a telnet connection with squawkbox on the linux side. What appears to be happening is that when sb747 on your virtual machine tries to make a connection with "127.0.0.1," it thinks it's looking for sb747 on the windows side, not the linux side.

BINGO!!!! That's exactly what was happening... sb747 was trying to connect to itself because, as far as Windows was concerned, 127.0.0.1 and "localhost" are the virtual machine not the Ubuntu host! So, what I did was run ifconfig from a shell prompt on Ubuntu, copy the IP for address for the WiFi adapter (if you're using ethernet then copy that IP), and then I went back into Windows/sb747 and put that IP address into the sb747 setup.

Voila! Problem fixed! Squawkgear and sb747 are now connected!

Thanks! You da man, timekiller! :D

Regards,

Chris
My final approach announcement: "Seats up... Trays locked... Articles stowed... Seat belts on... And may God have mercy on your souls!"
Chrison

Postby Chrison » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:07 pm

While we're talking about configuring sb747, in the setup window I have the following "Squawkbox Configuration" check boxes checked (enabled):

Traffic Passthrough
    Show Callsigns
    Weather Update
    Include Winds Aloft

Have I missed any or are any of those not supposed to be checked?

Thanks!

Regards,

Chris
Chrison

Postby timekiller24 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:10 pm

Chrison wrote:
timekiller24 wrote:I'm no virtual machine expert by any means. If I were trying to run flightgear on Linux but with Vatsim and squawkgear, I would probably just have a cheap windows box to serve as the client for the windows components of this set-up to avoid the VM aggravation. In any case, it is clear that what is happening is that sb747 in your virtual machine cannot make a telnet connection with squawkbox on the linux side. What appears to be happening is that when sb747 on your virtual machine tries to make a connection with "127.0.0.1," it thinks it's looking for sb747 on the windows side, not the linux side.

BINGO!!!! That's exactly what was happening... sb747 was trying to connect to itself because, as far as Windows was concerned, 127.0.0.1 and "localhost" are the virtual machine not the Ubuntu host! So, what I did was run ifconfig from a shell prompt on Ubuntu, copy the IP for address for the WiFi adapter (if you're using ethernet then copy that IP), and then I went back into Windows/sb747 and put that IP address into the sb747 setup.

Voila! Problem fixed! Squawkgear and sb747 are now connected!

Thanks! You da man, timekiller! :D

Regards,

Chris

Chris -- couldn't be more thrilled for you. I've done a good amount of flying on Vatsim with flightgear -- around 60 or so hours, I'd say. Please don't hesitate to get in touch with any questions. Have you flown on Vatsim before with MSFS or X-Plane?
timekiller24

Postby timekiller24 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:15 pm

Chrison wrote:While we're talking about configuring sb747, in the setup window I have the following "Squawkbox Configuration" check boxes checked (enabled):

Traffic Passthrough
    Show Callsigns
    Weather Update
    Include Winds Aloft

Have I missed any or are any of those not supposed to be checked?

Thanks!

Regards,

Chris

I have traffic passthrough and show callsigns checked, but not the weather or winds one.
timekiller24

Postby Chrison » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:41 pm

timekiller24 wrote:I have traffic passthrough and show callsigns checked, but not the weather or winds one.

Good information, timekiller... thanks! I think for now, just for giggles, I'll leave them as-is and see what happens. I haven't yet tried putting it all together (i.e. running FG with squawkgear and sb747 up and running) because I'm in the middle of a flight from KSLC to KATL. When that finishes (in about 2 hours) I'll give it a test run.

Thanks, again, for your help!

Regards,

Chris
Chrison

Postby Chrison » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:28 pm

OMG!!! This actually works!!! WOO HOO!!!! :D :D :D

I started FG, SG, and sb747 (not AVC yet... wanted to test text chat first), and got myself situated at a terminal at KATL. I filed a "not going anywhere, newbie just observing" flight plan, and then logged onto VATSIM. Lo a behold, I had a brief chat with atl-app2 to confirm that text chatting was working in both directions. As well, I fired-up VATSpy and found myself listed in the KATL "departures" list.

Next step is to see if I can get AVC going. Then, I'm going to do a short flight on VATSIM to test if everything is working properly. If I have any problems, I'll post back here.

A huge THANKS to everyone for creating this fabulous utility and for helping me get it going!

Regards,

Chris
Chrison

Postby MaverickAlex » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:55 am

I saw you too Chris, just didnt see your message in time to reply before you left!!, well done
http://www.atlasvirtualairlines.com
Modeller of: TNCM TBPB MDPP TFFF TJSJ FMEE TKPK TFFG TQPF KLAX KATL EGNJ EGGW APACHE, EUROFIGHTER, HP VICTOR, DHC8
FGcom 122.75
creator Terragear GUI
MaverickAlex

Postby Chrison » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:04 am

Hmmm... I'm having some problems getting AVC working properly. Pilots and ATC's report that they can hear me, but I can't hear them. Guess I'm going to have to muck with it some more.

In the meantime, I did a flight from EDDF to EGLL on VATSIM tonight. EDDF was uncontrolled, but there was an ATC at EGLL. He chided me for not filing a "proper" flight plan (I pretty much went direct), but was friendly and helpful.

GREAT stuff! Just gotta get the voice comms to work properly. Any suggestions, anyone???

Regards,

Chris

P.S. Btw, what's this "Robot" thing with sb747? It's down where you logon and logoff the network.
Chrison

Postby timekiller24 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:12 am

Chrison wrote:Hmmm... I'm having some problems getting AVC working properly. Pilots and ATC's report that they can hear me, but I can't hear them. Guess I'm going to have to muck with it some more.

In the meantime, I did a flight from EDDF to EGLL on VATSIM tonight. EDDF was uncontrolled, but there was an ATC at EGLL. He chided me for not filing a "proper" flight plan (I pretty much went direct), but was friendly and helpful.

GREAT stuff! Just gotta get the voice comms to work properly. Any suggestions, anyone???

Regards,

Chris

Chris:

Not sure what's going on with your voice comms -- it's odd for you to be able to transmit only, but I'd be willing to bet a million bucks that it has something to do with using a virtual machine -- about which I"ll again emphasize I know nothing about. On the flight plan, though -- check out www.simroutes.com. It will allow you to plug in your origin and destination airports and will spit out a proper flight plan and provide a link to file it with VATSIM.

When you do it this way, you can avoid showing up as a 747 all the time. To avoid over-writing the flightplan filed through simroutes, before you hit the "online" button on sb747, clear all the information from the sb747 flight plan menu -- plug in only your call sign and then hit submit, then go online.
timekiller24

Postby Chrison » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:14 pm

We'll get to my problems with voice comms, but first...

timekiller24 wrote in Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:12 am:On the flight plan, though -- check out http://www.simroutes.com. It will allow you to plug in your origin and destination airports and will spit out a proper flight plan and provide a link to file it with VATSIM.

When you do it this way, you can avoid showing up as a 747 all the time. To avoid over-writing the flightplan filed through simroutes, before you hit the "online" button on sb747, clear all the information from the sb747 flight plan menu -- plug in only your call sign and then hit submit, then go online.

Yes, I'm aware of simroutes, and have used it from time-to-time to generate flight plans. My main issue with simroutes is that often the flight plans it generates use airways and/or waypoints that aren't in FlightGear. But, except for that, it's a great resource.

Anyway... on to my voice comms problems...

I think timekiller is right that my problem was the fact I was using a virtual machine instead of running AVC on a separate, Windows box. So, I have installed sb747 and AVC on a separate laptop. I have managed to get everything running (squawkgear and FG in Linux, and sb747 and AVC in Windows), connected and talking to each other. I now have voice comms with VATSIM controllers (send and receive). The "problem" is that my PTT in FlightGear (a button on my joystick) isn't triggering AVC in Windows. In order to send voice comms in AVC, I have to press the PTT button setup in AVC.

Any ideas on how to fix this and get my FG PTT in Linux to work with AVC in Windows?

Thanks!

Regards,

Chris
Chrison

Postby reeed » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:47 am

hi Chris.

since AVC is running on a separate laptop now, it will only respond to clicks/keypresses/buttonpresses that occur on that machine. I assume your joystick is connected to the Linux box, not the laptop. I know of no method to transfer a buttonpress across the network to another computer.

You will have to reach across and press a key on the laptop in order to PTT with AVC.
Correspondingly, AVC voice comms will be through that laptop -- so it's a good idea to plug in your headset+boom mike into that laptop, while you have FG supplying engine and cockpit warning sounds over the loudspeakers. Feels much more like a real cockpit :-)
reeed

Callsign: SQC7294

Postby Chrison » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:04 am

reeed wrote in Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:47 am:You will have to reach across and press a key on the laptop in order to PTT with AVC.

That's what I figured. :( Oh, well!

Regards,

Chris
Chrison

Postby VaLeo » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:08 pm

Vlat wrote keyproxy, for Windows FG+SquawkGear, which sends keypress to AVC window when space-key in FG pressed. So no need to change focus from FG to AVC in flight.

May be, is it possible use this util for your purpose? With some patching...

You can get keyproxy here:
svn co http://svn.flightgear.ru/keyproxy/
VaLeo

Version: GIT

PreviousNext

Return to New features