Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Developing a logbook software and I want to know...

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Developing a logbook software and I want to know...

Postby LarsP » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:38 pm

Hi to all!
First of all, wishing a happy and healthy new year in the air...
I am deep in the development of a logbook software for FlightGear pilots and would like to ask the community what data to you want to get logged? (departure, destination, distance, aircraft etc...). No to get mistaken... At the moment there is no interfacing to FG directly. I don't know if it's possible to retrieve data like the flown distance etc. from FG into fglb(the flightgearlogbook). But I will work on this later. Fglb lets you choose from which airport to which airport you are flying and in which aircraft (this data is extracted from the FG dirs). You can enter a flight manually or make the choices and then press T/O and LNDG which measures the time. The data will be stored in a database and can be used for several statistics. But back to my question. By now I imagine the follwing data: Date and Time of T/O and LNDG, DPT-airport, DST-airport, flown distance (calculated between the airports), flown time (manual or via the stopwatch), remarks. Is there anything important I am missing?
Thanks in advance and I will let you know when it's done.
Lars
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-2550K
RAM: 16 GB DDR3
GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT430, 4096MB
LarsP

Callsign: D-LARS
Version: 2.0.0

Re: Developing a logbook software and I want to know...

Postby Johan G » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:22 am

This seems like a good complement to the FlightGear Tracker, which only stores some of the things you mention, and seems to work reasonably well only with some of the mpservers.

Flown time should be possible to calculate from time of take off and landing. Some extra things that might be nice are time flown in IFR and night conditions. Time as co-pilot, PIC (pilot in command) and who was PIC could also be interesting since ther is a few dual pilot aircraft.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby statto » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:34 am

Hi Lars

This seems like a very good tool for FlightGear!

If you could figure out a way to get a snapshot of FlightGear for instance to track co-ordinate points I think that would be very interesting. Otherwise your fields would be okay for me, except I would allow the user to change the destination airport as sometimes flights do not always work out as planned.
Custom Scenery available from http://www.stattosoftware.com/flightgear
statto

Postby LarsP » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:16 pm

Thanks to both of you for your interest!
I have added your suggestions to my feature tracker on SourceForge. Don't forget to check http://sourceforge.net/projects/fglb/ to find out about the developing progress.
Thanks again...
Lars
P.S. Any other feature requests?
LarsP

Postby LarsP » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:51 pm

Allright...
Back again with a big "SORRY".
The Porject ist still under construction. I lost my logindata for the forum and for sourceforge. As you can see I am here with a new name...
And it has been a troubleful year that damned 2011.
But back to topic:
I was very hard working on fglb, but I encountered a big problem, when I was working on the module to read the airportdata from apt.dat and transfer it into the database. It took so long that I never reached the end, because I stopped the process before (like after 20/25 minutes).
I don't want to flood this here with too many programming stuff... But maybe someone has experiences with Lazarus/Object Pascal and SqLite Databases...
I will keep eye on the project...
Lars
LarsP

Return to The FlightGear project