Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

LOWI Airport Light System add-on (test version)

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

LOWI Airport Light System add-on (test version)

Postby ot-666 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:50 am

Since the native airport taxiway and runway lights look not that great in FGFS, I created a custom airport light set for LOWI.
(in case you are using ATI you could anyway only see the papi lights)

The models are still in development, but I figured that they are ready for a first field test.

LOWI Airport Light Set - DOWNLOAD
EDIT: Updated the download link to new version (2011.02.07)

The test version should work with fgfs 2.0 and above. (did not test 1.9.1)
I suggest the custom scenery created by Tuxklok, but it should also work with the native one.
(Make a backup of your LOWI scenery folder!)

Since the native lights embedded in the btg file would still be visible I included a LOWI.btg that is light free (provided by Tuxklok). The LOWI.btg file is not exactly fitting (scenery needs to be generated new) and the taxiway lines are all gone, but for a test it is still close enough.

ATI user can use the original LOWI.btg, but the native papi will only be gone with the new one.

As soon as my btg light stripper script is ready I will provide a new light free LOWI.btg version.

A known issue - with GIT and FGFS nightly versions, it is currently not working if in preferences.xml

Code: Select all
<use-custom-scenery-data type="bool">true</use-custom-scenery-data>

…is set to true, as long the files are located in a custom scenery folder.
To make it work set:

Code: Select all
<use-custom-scenery-data type="bool">false</use-custom-scenery-data>

Please let me no if there are any problems and how much the fps is affected.

Oliver
Last edited by ot-666 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Callsign: ot-666
Working on LOWI and other stuff - Custom Scenery Overlay Repo: http://gitorious.org/fgfs-custom-scenery/custom-scenery-overlay/
VMX22 - Osprey... sometimes in 2014
ot-666

IRC name: ot666
Version: GIT

Re: LOWI Airport Light System add-on (test version)

Postby Johan G » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:03 am

That looks really good! :D I know you put a lot of effort into it. That's a job well done! :D

If the process of making them could be fully automated and fitted to each airports lighting configuration, which I unfortunately doubt, this should become standard for all airports.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby ot-666 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:54 am

Johan G wrote:If the process of making them could be fully automated and fitted to each airports lighting configuration, which I unfortunately doubt, this should become standard for all airports.

This is pretty much the goal of this little project. 8)
Or at least a tool to get the job done easy

The process is currently to feed the btg file to a python script and get a stg file as output.
After that just getting rid of the unwanted lights + adding the extras.

Making all the models for the different airport light setups and make all the rules / figure out how to process the data is the main work.

With this I am trying to get a feedback on frame rate impact, since there are a lot of extra models added.
Still working on some more advanced LOD features.

Oliver
Working on LOWI and other stuff - Custom Scenery Overlay Repo: http://gitorious.org/fgfs-custom-scenery/custom-scenery-overlay/
ot-666

Postby statto » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:56 am

Might it not be better to include these as shared models, automatically placed by TerraGear where the standard taxiway lights should be?
Custom Scenery available from http://www.stattosoftware.com/flightgear
statto

Postby curt » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:38 am

For standard airports, all the lighting points locations and types (and orientation) are computed by terragear and then encoded in a simple format. This is read in by the "btg" loader and then lights are created dynamically on the fly by FlightGear. The light creation scheme could be replaced with something that creates much more realistic lights along with the posts and all the other bits. But light position, type, and orientation is available for all airport lights ...
curt
Administrator

Postby Ernest1984 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:34 pm

Checked it already and it looks fantastic. How can we implement this light system to other big airports? I would love to see such great lights on EPWA...
EPWA-hub: ERJ-195 clsgn: ERNIE
-----------------------------------
Around The World with B1900D!
callsign: AROUNDw - currently suspended till the FG will have a proper look on different locations
Ernest1984

Callsign: ERNIE
Version: 2.10

Postby Tuxklok » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:26 pm

statto wrote:Might it not be better to include these as shared models, automatically placed by TerraGear where the standard taxiway lights should be?

curt wrote:For standard airports, all the lighting points locations and types (and orientation) are computed by terragear and then encoded in a simple format. This is read in by the "btg" loader and then lights are created dynamically on the fly by FlightGear. The light creation scheme could be replaced with something that creates much more realistic lights along with the posts and all the other bits. But light position, type, and orientation is available for all airport lights ...

I think the problem is the way taxiway lights are defined with taxidraw. The overlapping rectangles, except in straight sections, leave many many redundant and inaccurate light placements on taxiways. This is why most of our airports, especially more detailed layouts, look as much like Christmas trees as they do airports. If you just placed lights at every one of those automatically it would be quite nasty I think. I imagine Oliver had to do quite a bit of manual cleanup, removal, and repositioning to get the taxiway lights positioned and spaced properly...will have to let him chime in on that though. I also worry about the wisdom of placing hundreds (even thousands) of singular model objects around every airport by default.

They sure do look nice though, and I'll eventually be doing something similar as I continue work on my Innsbruck scenery...won't say exactly what yet though. ;)

Nice work Oliver....cheers!

edit: name correction
Last edited by Tuxklok on Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Austria Scenery Project - more info
fg-scenery-tools - gitorious | videos
fgcomgui - Open source, cross platform, gui front end for fgcom. more info

More random musings and doings can be found on my personal site. (work in progress)
Tuxklok

Callsign: Tuxklok / N1292P

Postby HHS » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:37 pm

Tuxklok wrote:Nice work Oscar....cheers!

Psst... He is called Oliver! But don't tell anyone....!
Up, up and away
HHS

Postby Tuxklok » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:47 pm

HHS wrote:
Tuxklok wrote:Nice work Oscar....cheers!

Psst... He is called Oliver! But don't tell anyone....!

Oops, and I knew that too...back to bed for me. :oops: (fixed)
Last edited by Tuxklok on Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Austria Scenery Project - more info
fg-scenery-tools - gitorious | videos
fgcomgui - Open source, cross platform, gui front end for fgcom. more info

More random musings and doings can be found on my personal site. (work in progress)
Tuxklok

Callsign: Tuxklok / N1292P

Postby Ernest1984 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:49 pm

I found a bug, when i want to start from LOWI now, it can't load up the scenery... I have this "plane splashscreen" with the "loading" texts, it stops at "loading scenery objects" text at the bottom, and nothing happens.. When i close the fgfs i can see for couple seconds on the mpmap, that i was positioned somewhere on the Atlantic Ocean, near Africa continent, AND i have some different nickname.
EPWA-hub: ERJ-195 clsgn: ERNIE
-----------------------------------
Around The World with B1900D!
callsign: AROUNDw - currently suspended till the FG will have a proper look on different locations
Ernest1984

Callsign: ERNIE
Version: 2.10

Postby ot-666 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:35 pm

statto wrote:Might it not be better to include these as shared models, automatically placed by TerraGear where the standard taxiway lights should be?

That would be nice thing.
I already use the airport lights more ore less as shared models and use the information from the btg file to create the light positions.
curt wrote:For standard airports, all the lighting points locations and types (and orientation) are computed by terragear and then encoded in a simple format. This is read in by the "btg" loader and then lights are created dynamically on the fly by FlightGear. The light creation scheme could be replaced with something that creates much more realistic lights along with the posts and all the other bits. But light position, type, and orientation is available for all airport lights ...

I sort of tried to simulate that part with the scrip…
This way I just could start to could develop the models needed and start field testing the impact of all that models before going ahead with the project. (before bugging the developer guys, since I got only rudimentary c skills).

As far as I understand, the lights are stored in the btg as point light objects, as for example 1527 light points for LOWI generating the directed lights. I just process this data, to only place the light models needed based on a set of rules, that figures what goes where and ignores the duplicates, since I place for example only one model for a runway centre light that has a directed red and white light (I figured that with less models the fps impact could be reduced).

But I hope that a part of my work could help developing a better native airport light system for fgfs. I am open for any suggestions.

Tuxklok wrote:I think the problem is the way taxiway lights are defined with taxidraw. The overlapping rectangles, except in straight sections, leave many many redundant and inaccurate light placements on taxiways. This is why most of our airports, especially more detailed layouts, look as much like Christmas trees as they do airports. If you just placed lights at every one of those automatically it would be quite nasty I think. I imagine Oliver had to do quite a bit of manual cleanup, removal, and repositioning to get the taxiway lights positioned and spaced properly...will have to let him chime in on that though. I also worry about the wisdom of placing hundreds (even thousands) of singular model objects around every airport by default.

That is exactly the problem with using the lights that are currently created by taxidraw / terragear is that you get a lot of unwanted and wrong positioned lights (taxiway lights in the middle of the runway). The cleanup is done by hand and I had to remove half of the generated taxiway lights but only hand place about 15 of them. The runway turns out ok, but I only use a small part of the actual points based on the rules to generate the lights.

I guess this could be just be helped by redesigning the way taxidraw / terragear is generating those. There would be the need for a way to place lights one by one or as lines in taxidraw or delete the unwanted lights. And it would still be nice thing for the scenery developer to use custom models at dedicated places by choice. In the long run a update to the new btg format?

Ernest1984 wrote:I found a bug, when i want to start from LOWI now, it can't load up the scenery... I have this "plane splashscreen" with the "loading" texts, it stops at "loading scenery objects" text at the bottom, and nothing happens.. When i close the fgfs i can see for couple seconds on the mpmap, that i was positioned somewhere on the Atlantic Ocean, near Africa continent, AND i have some different nickname.

If you use the custom btg I provided try to start by choosing runway 26. :oops:
Oliver
ot-666

Postby ot-666 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:35 am

Since I was banging my head against a very solid wall, getting a working btg file produced by the script,
my friend Gregor was taking a closer look again.

The result is a big step forward with a script that produces a light free airport btg. :roll:

Still much to do, but I updated the LOWI Airport Light Set - DOWNLOAD for anyone who is interested to give the updated version a try.
(Tested with Tuxklok custom LOWI scenery)
The taxi lines are back and the file fits perfect.

Sadly… no reports on the frame rate impact of this add-on. :cry:

Oliver
Last edited by ot-666 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
ot-666

Postby abc45 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:03 am

Hi

I think the link is death.

Thomas
abc45

Callsign: abc45

Postby ot-666 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:36 am

Thanks...
typo in download link is fixed. Should work now... :oops:
Oliver
ot-666

Postby abc45 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:58 pm

Hi Oliver

Thanks for fixing the link.

I included the files as you wrote in the readme file.
Now I've a problem to start flightgear in LOWI or LOJO. During loading FG stops working. But I can still use the menu.

Here the screenshot and the log.

Do you know what to do?

When I start at an other airport like LOWL and fly to LOWI I can see your lights.
Looks really nice. Great work! Thank you!

Thomas
abc45

Callsign: abc45

Next

Return to Scenery