Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

A non-GPL Resource Page?

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

A non-GPL Resource Page?

Postby Armchair Ace » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:04 am

Although we do have unitedfreeworld.com as a okace to put all non GPL add-ons, that website is now having to host an increasing number of adverts to stay afloat, and it's future may be at risk (there's a limit to how many ads you can squeeze onto a website!).

So, my proposal is that we have an extra page on Flightgear.org where all non-GPL addons can be hosted. It should work in almost exactly the same way as the GPL Aircraft page works. One issue will be how to get aircraft onto the page - should there be a non-GPL GIT repository? Should there be a facility for authors to directly upload their add-ons?

Now, some members may suspect that this is just another but of anti-GPL hype caused by the FPS issue. This isn't related to FPS at all - I would like to see a non-GPL add-on section to allow aircraft and scenery authors to use non-GPL resources to make textures, for example, or an aircraft could use freeware sound effects, instead of solely GPL ones, we could also use parts of aircraft (instrument textures, liveries, and sounds, for the most part) from other sims, too, provided that they were released under the correct licences.

I hope that this idea will come true - it would allow aircraft authors to use so many more resources and still be able to showcase their work on the flightgear.org website.

~Tom
Member of the FlightGear Flying Club

Current Projects :
Miscellaneous texture and sound work
Armchair Ace

Callsign: G-ATPF
IRC name: ArmchairAce

Re: A non-GPL Resource Page?

Postby jack » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:03 am

That's a good idea Tom, maybe you could present it to the mailing list?

I offer non gpl aircraft hosting on my hangar...just pm me if you want something on there. :)
For Military Aircraft, Scenery, and more, visit http://alphashangar.co.nr/

'Retired' from FlightGear as of July 2011. You can contact me via my website if you'd like to pick up any old projects.
jack
Retired

Callsign: Alpha-J, Rescue1
Version: GIT

Postby Armchair Ace » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:43 am

I'm afraid I can't use the Mailing List, so I'm afraid that'll have to be done by someone else. As for using your hangar, I appreciate the offer (I really do!), but that's not really the point here. (I do have a (rather decrepit, but still existent) 'hangar' of my own, anyway :wink: )

The current system of all non-GPL stuff being scattered across half a bajillion hangars isn't exactly great, in my opinion. That's why we would have this official page, where non-GPL stuff can be placed in a centralised place.

~Tom

Current Projects :
Armchair Ace

Postby skyop » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:18 am

Armchair Ace wrote:I'm afraid I can't use the Mailing List, so I'm afraid that'll have to be done by someone else.

Really? It's just as simple as sending a message to Sourceforge (and optionally subscribing).
Aircraft: [ CRJ700-family | DC-10-30 ] Scenery: [ KBFL ]
skyop

IRC name: skyop
Version: next

Postby Armchair Ace » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:22 am

I got past the subscribing page - but apart from that, it's proved to be a fiddly mess. Either way, it doesn't seem to like the fact that I check my e-mails through webpages, rather than through iMail. The last time I tried to use the mailing list, it demanded that I use iMail.

Either way, I've PM'ed Curt, and he's the man to ask about this, as he runs the website, so I don't have a use for the mailing list.

~Tom

Current Projects :
Armchair Ace

Postby curt » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:47 pm

Hi Tom,

The big issue here is getting someone to setup the structure to manage this. Right now I have automated scripts that build the individual aircraft zip files from git, uploads them to the ftp sites, and also automatically builds the download index page with all the thumbnails.

If we are going to manage and distribute a bunch of aircraft outside of git as "non-free" (following the tradition of many linux distributions) then we'll have to somehow construct the infrastructure to handle the files,the uploads, updates, etc. etc.

We could certainly use something like this, any volunteers?

Curt.
curt
Administrator

Postby Armchair Ace » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:37 am

It sounds like we might need a smaller GIT repository in which to keep all non-free stuff.

~Tom

Current Projects :
Armchair Ace

Postby adrian » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:58 am

Heya Curt,

I've got some extensive experience building web applications so if it's any use let me know. That goes for the rating system too, I have such a system already working although it might be too complicated in this case.
adrian

Postby statto » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:20 am

Avsim has an (empty) FlightGear category. Just a thought.
Custom Scenery available from http://www.stattosoftware.com/flightgear
statto

Return to The FlightGear project