Board index FlightGear Support Compiling

Committing changes to GIT

Building FlightGear from source, and in the need for help?

Committing changes to GIT

Postby jack » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:01 am

Hi,
This is the third time I have had to ask how to commit my work to GIT. Every time I ask, I get a simple, useless answer such as "push it". I have no idea what this means. I am looking for a real answer, that describes the process of committing my work in a step by step process that explains any vocabulary that you wouldn't expect the average person to know. Can somebody, please, just answer this question? I've searched every inch of the wiki, asked on the devel list, and asked on other threads and have yet to get a decent answer.
For Military Aircraft, Scenery, and more, visit http://alphashangar.co.nr/

'Retired' from FlightGear as of July 2011. You can contact me via my website if you'd like to pick up any old projects.
jack
Retired

Callsign: Alpha-J, Rescue1
Version: GIT

Re: Committing changes to GIT

Postby skyop » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:05 am

Back when I was actively developing the A320, I would push changes to the FG Airbus repository by running the following command in the A320 directory:
Code: Select all
git push

However, I had write access to the repository and a key; I have no idea how you would obtain both to commit to the master FG repository.
Aircraft: [ CRJ700-family | DC-10-30 ] Scenery: [ KBFL ]
skyop

IRC name: skyop
Version: next

Postby jack » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:24 am

I thought there was a system where anybody could commit their work, but it just had to be approved. :o So, should I just send my work to someone that can commit?

skyop wrote:by running the following command in the A320 directory:
git push

Assuming you're talking about Terminal, what do you mean by "running the command in the directory"? How would I run a command on a specific directory? Is there a shell script I should know about?

I was hoping there would be something simple where I could just run something like:

Last login: Sat Nov 27 14:05:45 on console
jack-mermods-imac:~ jackmermod$
ftp ftp:mapserver.flightgear.org/git/?p=fgdata;a=tree

ls

AI   ATC   Aircraft-uiuc
Aircraft   Airports  Astro
Docs   Effects   Environment
Fonts   Huds   Input
Lighting   MP   Models      
Nasal   Navaids   Protocol   
Scenery   Shaders   Sounds   
Textures.high   Textures   Timezone   
Traffic   Translations

/Aircraft/ put Desktop/AH-1.zip

close

I really wish we could have a system like the above...that would be so easy...but then again, it's GIT, it's not meant to be easy. :wink:

'Retired' from FlightGear as of July 2011. You can contact me via my website if you'd like to pick up any old projects.
jack
Retired

Postby Algernon » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:58 pm

On Windows, right-clicking in the terminal window brings up the usual menu which has the "Git Bash" option - selecting that takes me to a command line window already in the correct directory, from where you can "push" stuff. I don't know if you can do the same using function-click on the Mac tho.
Algernon
FGUK - A FlightGear community in the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland
Developer: Eurofighter EF2000 - English Electric Lightning - Handley Page Victor
Algernon

Callsign: G-ALGY
Version: 2019.1.1

Postby Tuxklok » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:35 pm

jack wrote:I thought there was a system where anybody could commit their work, but it just had to be approved. :o So, should I just send my work to someone that can commit?

Indeed anyone can contribute to the project, but not anyone can just push their code into the main repository...that would be a mess. You need to make your work available to someone with access to the main repository for review and whatnot, and they can merge it if it is ok. Just creating a diff of your changes and posting it on the dev list would be the simplest solution. You can also can create a clone of the flightgear repo on gitorious and do a merge request against your copy when desired...this is a great way to manage your personal changes and making them available for testing and merging.

Anyway yeah, just post up on the dev list and I'm sure you'll get it sorted quickly. :)

cheers!
The Austria Scenery Project - more info
fg-scenery-tools - gitorious | videos
fgcomgui - Open source, cross platform, gui front end for fgcom. more info

More random musings and doings can be found on my personal site. (work in progress)
Tuxklok

Callsign: Tuxklok / N1292P

Postby Hooray » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:35 pm

normally, you would only need to clone the repositories at gitorious, then you get your own copies of -e.g. the data repository- so that you can commit ANYTHING to YOUR OWN COPY of the repository.
You can send then upstream merge requests, so that FlightGear developers can review, comment and approve your contributions.

Besides, you may want to check youtube for git tutorial videos, there are lots available ...
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Hooray » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:32 am

I guess what would be really needed is some "contributors guide to git and gitorious", that details all steps involved in cloning the repository, creating your own branch, making modifications and sending a merge request. Hopefully with lots of screen shots to get people started more easily.

For the time being, the easiest way to get your work into the official repository is to send an eMail to the developers list or directly to a developer with commit access, including a link to your work.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby jack » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:42 am

That would be a great idea Hooray. :D There seems to be a good bit of documentation on GIT, but not for mac. In reality, there is only one wiki article for Mac GIT, and it only describes building and testing the package.(I'm done with this part, now I need to learn to update it and share my changes.) :)

For now I will just send a message to the dev list asking for someone to commit my work, that should work fine.

jack
Retired

Postby Hooray » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:48 am

Some time ago, I actually wrote up an intro on git - Thorsten posted it to the forum: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8270&p=93371#p93371

Not sure if this makes a lot of sense without previous knowledge on source control ... but you may want to have a look.
Also, please feel free to add this to the wiki if you think it's useful enough.

Also, I did a quick google search, it seems the commonly recommended git GUI for Mac OS is "gitx": http://gitx.frim.nl/
It's also highly praised: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8378 ... gui-on-osx

You may want to give this a try, but probably not directly with the FG repositories, but instead a simple "test project" (text document).
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Return to Compiling