Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

proflightsimulator.com

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

proflightsimulator.com

Postby flightfan59 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:08 am

Hi,

just wondering if you guys are related to proflightsimulator.com

i purchased the software and it seems to mention this website for some reason in it.

Anyway I need some help as I am having trouble getting it set up and it will not run on my system for some reason?

Thanks and hope you can help as I paid $128 for it....

John Smith
flight fan 1959
flightfan59

Re: proflightsimulator.com

Postby jack » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:42 am

Ouch.... You just fell for an internet scam. Proflightsim.com is a site that sells an outdated version of flightgear to make a quick buck. You can get a much better version of the original software for free at flightgear.org I'd suggest you get a refund asap. That's the only support I can offer.
For Military Aircraft, Scenery, and more, visit http://alphashangar.co.nr/

'Retired' from FlightGear as of July 2011. You can contact me via my website if you'd like to pick up any old projects.
jack
Retired

Callsign: Alpha-J, Rescue1
Version: GIT

Postby Torsten » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:49 am

Welcome to FlightGear - unfortunately you took the wrong entrance.
You might want to read this: http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/FlightProSim, try to get a refund for your software and download the free and open version of genuine FlightGear from http://www.flightgear.org/
flightgear.org - where development happens.
Torsten

Callsign: offline
Version: next

Postby Algernon » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:10 am

$128?!
I didn't know they were asking that much for it. I hope you get your money back, perhaps you can use the fact that it doesn't work to obtain your refund. Then, as suggested, get a proper (and free) copy of FlightGear - we'll be more than happy to help you set it up. :)
Algernon
FGUK - A FlightGear community in the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland
Developer: Eurofighter EF2000 - English Electric Lightning - Handley Page Victor
Algernon

Callsign: G-ALGY
Version: 2019.1.1

Postby Groucho » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:04 pm

Algernon wrote:$128?!
I didn't know they were asking that much for it. I hope you get your money back, perhaps you can use the fact that it doesn't work to obtain your refund. Then, as suggested, get a proper (and free) copy of FlightGear - we'll be more than happy to help you set it up. :)

That is the route I would go, too.
Not that we are not glad of giving help but they sold you support with the software (which is outdated anyway) so I suspect it is in their business to keep that promise. Didn´t they offer refunding for people not satifsied with the product?
I´d use that option and in the meantime get the free FlightGear package. More planes, more scenary, more features, more fun.

My few cents.
Helis: EC130, Bo105, UH-1, R22
Twins/Jets: Aerostar, CRJ-200
Groucho

Callsign: D-HARP

Postby flightfan59 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:19 pm

Hi all,

I am going to try and get a refund.

I looked into this before buying and never saw anything about proflightsimulator.com

I looked at http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/FlightProSim and it did not mention proflightsimulator.com is this the same or something different?

They say they are the latest flight sim game made by some one called Dan Freeman.

Being a bit older I got sucked in with the sales copy as they said they only have 21 copies left and it does look pretty good

Any idea how I can get a refund?

thanks

John Smith
flight fan 1959
flightfan59

Postby jack » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:29 am

Hi John,
proflightsimulator.com states that there is a 'members area' and some source is available there. Access to this source could be very useful in our investigation of the legality of this site. Can you provide a link to the members page? And if necessary to get to the members area, would you be able to provide a login? Hope this isn't asking too much. I am now very interested in investigating this site...being that they are selling combat related add ons, which is one of the main things I develop. :o
For Military Aircraft, Scenery, and more, visit http://alphashangar.co.nr/

'Retired' from FlightGear as of July 2011. You can contact me via my website if you'd like to pick up any old projects.
jack
Retired

Callsign: Alpha-J, Rescue1

Postby Chrison » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:00 am

flightfan59 wrote:I am going to try and get a refund.

I wish you the best of luck.

flightfan59 wrote:I looked into this before buying and never saw anything about proflightsimulator.com

I looked at http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/FlightProSim and it did not mention proflightsimulator.com is this the same or something different?

Based on the fact that both sites use many of the same graphics, it appears to me that they're the one and the same company/persons.

flightfan59 wrote:Any idea how I can get a refund?

You'll have to contact them. According to their site, they offer a 60-day, no-hassle guarantee so it shouldn't be that hard. Btw, if you paid via credit card, you may have the option of canceling the transaction through your credit card company. That's something worth checking out.

Good luck, John. I hope you get your money back.

Regards,

Chris
"Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat!" (Jackie Gleason)
My final approach announcement: "Seats up... Trays locked... Articles stowed... Seat belts on... And may God have mercy on your souls!"
Chrison

Callsign: Chrison, AVA0066

Postby skyop » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:04 am

Uh-oh.

proflightsimulator.com/disclaimer.htm
100% Guarantee:

The 100% Guarantee applies only to downloadable version of the software and is valid for 60 days from the date of purchase. We will ask an exit question so we can better guage software issues or find enhancements that could be made.

Let's hope for the best, though this jerk might have ripped off not only FlightGear but one of his own customers.
Aircraft: [ CRJ700-family | DC-10-30 ] Scenery: [ KBFL ]
skyop

IRC name: skyop

Postby Chrison » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:18 pm

I like this one:

ProFlightSimulator is not endorsed and/or related to any Flight Simulator Software, Software House or any other company in any way shape or form.

LOL!
"Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat!" (Jackie Gleason)
My final approach announcement: "Seats up... Trays locked... Articles stowed... Seat belts on... And may God have mercy on your souls!"
Chrison

Callsign: Chrison, AVA0066

Postby zakalawe » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:33 pm

skyop wrote:though this jerk might have ripped off not only FlightGear but one of his own customers.

As has been stated elsewhere, you're treating this guy like someone selling a real product based on FG - which is entirely legal - but that's not what this is. It's a marketing scam - the language on the site, the affiliates program, the advice on creating review sites, and the fact he's doing the same thing for many other GPL projects, all point to this. He doesn't care about his victims - ripping them off is profitable for him.
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW

Postby Algernon » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:53 pm

Zakalawe is right, "Dan Freeman" is most likely an invention (like that guy who is your first friend on MySpace, ugh) and so are his satisfied customers - it's . I would have a go at getting your money back - can you provide more information about how your copy doesn't work? - but I wouldn't hold your breath, you might just have to swallow it and put it down to a lesson learned I'm afraid.

You'll get a much more satisfactory experience by getting the latest FlightGear and using this community for support anyway.

Anyone know what the "bonus software" Kelpie route planner on the proflightsimulator website is? I've never seen that before...
Algernon
Developer: Eurofighter EF2000 - English Electric Lightning - Handley Page Victor
Algernon

Postby Gijs » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:22 pm

It looks like they/he/she start experiencing the influence of our "promote FG in favour of FPS campain", and thus try to sell the product under a new name...
Anyway, I've updated the wiki to mention this name as well. Thanks for notifying us John and all the best in getting a refund.
Algernon wrote:Anyone know what the "bonus software" Kelpie route planner on the proflightsimulator website is?

Hm :? http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/Ke ... ht_Planner
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Algernon » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:07 pm

Goodness. He/she/they clearly know FG pretty well (except, obviously, how to make it work or use a current FG version), so it's conceivable they read these forums too. If you're reading, ProFlightSim team, this is not a nice way to play the game.
Algernon
Algernon

Postby Zyzmog » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:16 am

Facebook ads started blasting ProFlightSim at everybody this morning. I did some Googling around and it's gotten (no surprise) rave reviews from a bunch of shills who are all named Michael Ortiz and who all posted their reviews on Monday, November 15.

I have a blog that's pretty widely read, even though only 19 people will admit publicly to following it. I wrote a couple of articles about ProFlightSim and put them up there: http://zyzmog.blogspot.com/proflightsimulator-something-just.html Besides my blog and the FG forums, I've only found one website so far that's exposing the scam.
Zyzmog

Next

Return to The FlightGear project