Board index FlightGear Development New features

Anaglyph (3D)

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: Lockheed 1049H Constellation (Beta Release)

Postby Yakko » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:27 pm

OK - and for those of us at home without a consultant on standby....

"We ran FlightGear in anaglyphic 3D mode" - what exactly IS an anaglyphic 3D mode and how does one get to it. I havn't even HEARD this term yet, but it certainly sounds like something I'd like to know more about!!!

It doesn't surprise me that Buck's work held up well under ANY scrutiny - he does good stuff!
Flying (mostly) the Lockheed Constellation as YAKKO on MPServers :)
Yakko

Callsign: Yakko
Version: 2017.4

Anaglyph (3D)

Postby durk » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:34 pm

Ah, sorry:

http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/Anaglyph_%283D%29

In essence, its a rendering option where you create two separate images, one red and one blue one, each aimed at only one eye, and slightly offset from each other. When you view this through a red / blue set of glasses, you get 3D images.

Altough the color based technique isn't as advance the the technology used in Avatar 3D, the end result is similar. :-)

Cheers,
Durk
durk

Callsign: PH-DRK
Version: git

Postby Yakko » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:45 am

No way - this has been in version 2.0.0 all this time and no one thought to mention it???? Woah....now I gotta dig up a pair of the old red/green glasses!!!!
Yakko

Postby Yakko » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:46 am

I found a pair!!! In a DVD for a animated short film that used the red/green 3D method. So I tried enabling it on Flightgear and WOAH...thats pretty intense!

I think I need to play with the color balance on my monitor to really get it right, but wow its still pretty stunning even with some ghosting. The only things that really are "wrong" with it are pure red or green objects (like VASI lights and certain buildings that end up being distractingly bright because they are exactly the right shade of red or green).

I do notice that when its set up that way, all the PICK objects that are clickable are highlighted in yellow despite the use of the CTRL-C key. But thats minor, and the depth perception effect is surprisingly good.
Yakko

Postby Zexe » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:01 am

Way cool, just enabled 3D mode and it's awesome! Hope none of you guys are afraid of heights, LOL! Flying thru clouds has never been so much fun!
Last edited by Zexe on Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zexe
AIRPORTS: CYYJ, KHAF, RJTT, KEYW
PLANES: m33, grob115, pa22, Goose, MD-81, Velocity-XL, Rallye, F-5E Tiger II, Bocian,
Zexe

Postby Yakko » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:11 pm

Shooting thru the clouds is way cool, but here's one even better that I tried with it last nite :) Try running the Italian alps from LIMC up to LOWI - staying down low in the valleys. With the 3D effect enabled its pretty intense.
Yakko

Postby Buckaroo » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:13 pm

Confound it! I can't see 3D-- I effectively have no stereo vision, so those glasses only give me a wacky visual mess and a headache. Dang it.

-Buck
Callsign: Buckaro(o)
Author: Lockheed 1049H Constellation, Grumman Goose, MD-81, Edgley Optica, Velocity XL RG, YASim Guide
Buckaroo

Callsign: Buckaro(o)
Version: 2.10

Postby Zexe » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:07 pm

Buckaroo wrote:Confound it! I can't see 3D-- I effectively have no stereo vision, so those glasses only give me a wacky visual mess and a headache. Dang it.

-Buck

You got to fly in a real B-17, nothing can compare to that! Well except...throwing beer cans at Yakko up at 12000ft
Zexe
AIRPORTS: CYYJ, KHAF, RJTT, KEYW
PLANES: m33, grob115, pa22, Goose, MD-81, Velocity-XL, Rallye, F-5E Tiger II, Bocian,
Zexe

Postby hvengel » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:20 am

Yakko wrote:No way - this has been in version 2.0.0 all this time and no one thought to mention it???? Woah....now I gotta dig up a pair of the old red/green glasses!!!!

This has been available since OSG has been in use. So this is available in 1.9.x as well.
hvengel
Retired

Re: Anaglyph (3D)

Postby someguy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:58 am

Yes, the only recent development is that a couple of us non-geeks struggled into making it work on our own, and wrote instructions in plain English that normal folks could understand. It's no longer the exclusive property of the Unix-Priest class. :)

Try flying through the holes in the Golden Gate Bridge towers.
someguy

Version: 2019.1.1

Postby hvengel » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:45 pm

I don't know if this was a geek only feature since all you needed to do was set some environment variables. But GIT now allows this to be controlled from within FG via the menus.
Last edited by Gijs on Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No useless quoting please.
hvengel
Retired

Postby xyz32 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:59 am

Hello,
Anyone has any idea on how to set this to "Red-Cyan" instead of "Red-Green"?

Also for linux base machines to enable this option using this UI luncher, edit the "fgo" bash file to look like this:

Code: Select all
#!/bin/sh

export OSG_STEREO=ON
export OSG_STEREO_MODE=ANAGLYPHIC
export OSG_SCREEN_DISTANCE=0.85
export OSG_EYE_SEPARATION=0.06
export OSG_SCREEN_HEIGHT=0.19
export OSG_SCREEN_WIDTH=0.33

python fgo.py

thanks.
xyz32

Postby someguy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:45 am

hvengel wrote:I don't know if this was a geek only feature since all you needed to do was set some environment variables.

Um...I didn't know what "environment variable" meant, or where to find one. I submit that if you did, you're a geek. :)

hvengel wrote:But GIT now allows this to be controlled from within FG via the menus.

Building fg from git is prima facie evidence of geekdom! I won't see a new git snapshot until Tat uploads one to the Mac FlightGear site.
someguy

Version: 2019.1.1

Postby Yakko » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:42 am

Looking at some of the OSG options, I see a really COOL experiment in my future using the split stereo mode....envision this:

2 1024x768 displays joined as a single 2048x768 display - then drop OSG into split stereo mode to get each perspective on its own 1024x768 display.

Each display is actually a mini-DV projector borrowed from work (we have a matched pair but because of the lower resolution they have not been used
in years, hence the desire to use 1024x768).

Each projector is focussed through a circular polarizing filter that matches the standard Real3D/Disney3D movie glasses pattern. This is easily
accomplished by dismantling a pair of the glasses without scratching the lenses, or cutting the glasses in half so you have just the lens and frame
without the rest of the plastic glasses frame.

The images are overlayed precisely onto a single screen (project a non-3D test pattern image through both projectors and adjust until its a single in-focus image).

In theory - this should give a 3D effect on par with what is offered at the movies, without the headache inducing red/green color blending.

I have all but one peice of the puzzle - projecting through a polarizing filter requires projecting onto a screen material that will NOT scatter the light and
kill the polarization effect. My standard Dazian movie screen fabric does not work for this. I need to find some sort of material (does not need to be
huge for the inital experiment - 2 foot by 2 foot would suffice) that I can project polarized light onto and preserve the polarization. So far the only
surface I have found that works is the silver colored plastic side panels of a Sony television - polarized light projected onto that retains the polarization
but I don't have a 2 foot by 2 foot flat peice of that type of plastic. Most painted or cloth surfaces I have around the house scatter the light, defeating the
polarization.

If this works it could really be an extreme way to experience Flightgear...
Yakko

Return to New features