Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project News

FSWeekend 2010

News from the ever evolving world of FlightGear.

Re: FSWeekend 2010

Postby Torsten » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:25 pm

pigeon wrote: Possible to show us your xorg.conf and flightgear configuratio

Certainly, I added them to the FSWeekend wiki page:
http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/FSweekend_2010#Configuration_files
flightgear.org - where development happens.
Torsten

Callsign: offline
Version: next

Postby simbabeat » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:20 pm

So how did FSWeekend go guys?

Cheers
simbabeat

Re: FSweekend 2010

Postby durk » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:23 pm

FSweekend came and went by. The event was over before I even realized it. Although I was initially skeptical as to whether we would be able to top last year's presentation, we did so, by quite a large margin. Main attractions this year were our Thomas-Krenn sponsored server, driving 10 monitors, and our near continuous use of anaglyphic 3D. Although I had considered it to be a neat gadget, running flightgear in 3D analglyphic mode turned out to be a brilliant move. Not only did it draw a lot of people to our booth who wanted to check it out, handing out 3D glasses also worked as an extremely good vehicle to start a conversation with them.

Some assorted highlights include:

- Our Thomas-Krenn AG machine has been running for 8 hours straight, on both days, without a single glitch. At one point Torsten ran out of fuel, because he hadn't realized that FlightGear had been running for so long continuously. The machine ran in three 3D mode most of the time, and the way the screens were set up gave the impression that the were just holes in a wall though which you could see a (virtual) reality known as FlightGear. Very nicely done.

- Very positive comments on the Lockheed Constellation's artwork, particularly because that model is really shining when presented in 3D (probably the best cockpit we have for a 3D demo).

- Also very postive comments on the advance copy of the 737NG (800) that Innis Cunningham sent me. Also in particular due to the fact that the switches on the overhead panel look very real in 3D.

- Booth members Gijs and Jorg trying to outperform each other in terms of their helicopter flying skills (trying to land it on a chimney, once they found the helipad to easy).

- A number of people claiming that our booth was the best one at FSWeekend this year.

- Our aerotowing demo involving all of our major demonstration machines (my machine as the glider, Jorg's computer as the tow plane, and our sponsor's machine as a joint (3D) model viewer.

- Some people just not believing that a single machine could drive 10 monitors and actively checking where all the monitor cables actually went to.

- Another opportunity to meet FlightGear developers (one expected encounter: Geoff McLane, and one totally unexpected meeting with Thorsten Brehm). Thanks guys for showing up!

- The end challenge of all our booth members trying to distract me while performing an aircraft carrier landing, using the f-14b (I'll leave it up to your own assesment as to whether I failed or whether they failed. :-)

And last, but not least, everybody involved in getting this year's booth organized. It's been a lot of fun.
durk

Callsign: PH-DRK
Version: git

Postby Gijs » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:04 pm

I completely agree with all Durk has said; there's little to add. It was another great event and we were able to promote FlightGear very well (despite the lack of a working internet connection; and thus missing the TransGear event at EHAM), I think. It is still funny to hear people asking one of us "what addon is this", or "is this MSFS or X-Plane". Explaining this is FlightGear usually generates a "oh" at first. But when you tell slightly more about the project they start getting interested and when you drop the word "free" they are all in! :D

On to next year!

Gijs

PS: Whatever Durk did on his carrier approach, he would have been able to eject safely, thanks to a chair and some muscle power ;)
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby skyop » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:40 pm

You still didn't have an internet connection? :( Aww, multiplayer is one of FlightGear's biggest advantages over the competition. :cry:
Aircraft: [ CRJ700-family | DC-10-30 ] Scenery: [ KBFL ]
skyop

IRC name: skyop

Postby timjschong » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:08 am

Did you guys take any pictures?
timjschong

Callsign: timothy
Version: 2

Postby Gijs » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:13 pm

Durk was our photographer, I'm sure he will upload some pictures soon ;)

Meanwhile, enjoy this video by FSweekend-filmer Alex Alberto. It features myself in the qeue at 0:17 (hard to spot, left top cornet), FG-er Thorsten at 1:50 (in the seat) and the FlightGear booth at 2:50 (with Jorg and myself behind Jorg's machine).

Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby HHS » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:46 pm

Wow- I really missed something! :(

The FlightGear booth looked great- nice poster. That would be nice for the Homepage!

Can it be that I can spot Martin Spott at 5:02?
Up, up and away
HHS

Version: GIT

Postby Torsten » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:07 pm

HHS wrote:Wow- I really missed something!

Man, you did!

HHS wrote:The FlightGear booth looked great- nice poster. That would be nice for the Homepage!

We only bought the licenses for the pictures with the man standing on the wing and the seagull for print-usage. Internet use would cost an additional fee - sponsors welcome...

HHS wrote:Can it be that I can spot Martin Spott at 5:02?

Could have been Martin - but that guy in the video looks much younger ;-)
flightgear.org - where development happens.
Torsten

Callsign: offline

Postby El Flauta » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:37 pm

It's great to see FlightGear participation. Nice video :)

Some conclusions, comparations, some words to say and share about the experience?
Vive FlightGear! Have you a Ñ on your keyboard? Spain-LatinAmerica FlightGear community!
--
PZL M18B Dromader
CASA C-101 Aviojet
Cessna 337G Skymaster
El Flauta

Callsign: CC-FLT
Version: 3

Postby durk » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:14 pm

Gijs wrote:Durk was our photographer, I'm sure he will upload some pictures soon ;)

'll try to do so later, but I'm currently away from home.

Cheers,
Durk
durk

Callsign: PH-DRK
Version: git

Previous

Return to News